Burnsville, MN OLB/DE Colton Gregersen commits to Gophers as preffered walk on (PWO)

Does it appear to you that the Gopher PWO Program just went up a few notches on the desirability index?

It is great for PJ Fleck to recognize the importance of PWOs. With 3-5 well-earned scholarships awarded each season, kids are foregoing sure offers from lower-division programs to walk-on at Minnesota. These are mostly kids who dreamed of becoming Gophers.

Watch this kid's HUDL, he sure seems like he'll end up on scholarship.

Good get and RTB.

Does it appear to you that the Gopher PWO Program just went up a few notches on the desirability index?

It is great for PJ Fleck to recognize the importance of PWOs. With 3-5 well-earned scholarships awarded each season, kids are foregoing sure offers from lower-division programs to walk-on at Minnesota. These are mostly kids who dreamed of becoming Gophers.
Seeing guys like the Annexstad's, LaCaptain, and others earn scholarships early and play is a huge sales pitch.

Welcome
Cade Conzemius
Max Grand
Evan Redding
Cade Larson
Colton Gregersen
Cole Berhorn
Zach Jorgensen

Seeing guys like the Annexstad's, LaCaptain, and others earn scholarships early and play is a huge sales pitch.

Welcome
Cade Conzemius
Max Grand
Evan Redding
Cade Larson
Colton Gregersen
Cole Berhorn
Zach Jorgensen
Some Nordic sounding names in there. Also 2 Cades, a Cole, and a Colton.

The best way to judge the caliber of a recruiting class is by the caliber of the walk-ons. If your walk-ons are impressive (and ours are), then your scholarships are elite.

I played him this year and he had about 20 tackles and 3 sacks. Beast at fullback too. Put me on my ass a couple of plays lol. Well deserved and definitely a great get.
Yeah I’ve seen him live and he is a beast.

Watched his Hudl video, he reminds me of Thomas Rush, nice addition.

He appears to love to tackle. Runs through and sheds O-lineman blocks quickly.
Curious how that works against more sound offensive lineman.

Great get. The guy is playing at 200 mph constantly.

Welcome
Cade Conzemius
Max Grand
Evan Redding
Cade Larson
Colton Gregersen
Cole Berhorn
Zach Jorgensen
If all these guys develop, then hopefully there won't be as great a need for transfers etc., down the road.

The Gopher PWO program is becoming stronger year after year since PJ Fleck became the head coach. High school players and coaches are seeing the successes of current and previous PWOs.

These PWOs seem like dreamers who want to put in the hard work to earn a scholarship and a college education. They are going to get more than that when they graduate.

Many probably dreamed of becoming a Gopher growing up. Selfless, hardworking, with a can-do attitude. In essence, HYPRR culture. There will be hidden gems. Some may end up playing on Sundays.

Imagine if the players on this list achieve success how much it will just strengthen the pipelines and ties to Gopher Football. They become great stories and examples in their communities.

That is very smart for PJ Fleck to award many scholarships to PWOs. I like that PJ Fleck gives these players a chance to earn a scholarship. The Gophers won't get burned with a recruiting failure.

He does not make any distinction between scholarship players and PWOs. It is all about earning a spot thru competition.

It also cements trust relationships with high school coaches and the Gophers coaching staff. They know that their kids are taken care of and are given a fair shot. IMHO, this is a very smart recruiting ploy.

Last edited:

I have heard this kid has an amazing work ethic.
I'd take a kid with a little less raw talent but a killer work ethic vs. an uber talented kid with a horrendous attitude. I've coached both. The previous is what brings joy, the latter makes you question your sanity. Hope he can earn the scholarship and become a beast on D.

Top Bottom