Buff Zone: New coordinator Mike Sanford wants CU Buffs to ‘be a bully’ offensively

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BuffZone:

In the roughly seven weeks that he’s been on the job as Colorado’s offensive coordinator, Mike Sanford has apparently heard the curiosity of the fans.

“I think a lot of CU fans want to know if we’re going to run the ball 70% of the time or not,” Sanford said when he met with media this week. “And, here’s the answer: That’s not going to be the case.”

Sanford spent the previous two seasons as the offensive coordinator at Minnesota, which ran the ball on 70 percent of its offensive snaps in 2021 and 61.8 percent in 2020. That run-heavy approach has been the philosophy of Gophers head coach PJ Fleck, but not Sanford.

While Sanford believes in having a strong run game, he said his main goal is for CU to be a bully.

“There is going to be an identity of physicality,” he said. “That doesn’t mean that we are only going to run the football. Physicality exists in the throwing game as well. We’re going to make sure that we have an identity as a program that we want to build a bully here; a bully on the field, a bully in the weight room. When we’re off the field, we’re gonna be gentlemen, obviously, but on the field we want to be a bully.”

Go Gophers!!

Good on ya. It's good to have goals.

Moms will be so proud. Some guy is teaching my son to be a bully. Oh no, just on the field.
I don’t think you lead a press conference with your great idea to change a culture if that’s it.

I think the question most fans want to know is, are the Buffs going to be running the play clock down to Zero on every play this fall?
All while you force your intelligent and capable QB to create utter confusion. For no apparent reason.

All while you force your intelligent and capable QB to create utter confusion. For no apparent reason.
They'd better be run heavy. Whoever they throw out as a QB is going to either suck or not be good due to what you said.

this smells like:

"Anything you liked about the Gopher offense, I did that."

"anything you didn't like about the Gopher offense, that's Fleck's fault."

But I'm waiting to see how that "physicality in the passing game" works out.

Can’t blame PJF for what we witnessed the last couple years.

this smells like:

"Anything you liked about the Gopher offense, I did that."

"anything you didn't like about the Gopher offense, that's Fleck's fault."

But I'm waiting to see how that "physicality in the passing game" works out.
Yep, not surprising though since all coaches are going to try and spin things in way that makes them look good.

That said, not sure going with a Bully mentality is the right message to send in this day and age. Can't really think of anything positive that is associated with bullies or bully behavior.

Bullies aren't tough, bullies are pricks that usually pick on people smaller or weaker than they are in order to make themselves feel powerful.

Top Bottom