BTNs Tom Dienhart: Top recruiting bust for each school over last 10 yrs (Hayo for MN)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

Minnesota: Hayo Carpenter, WR, Lawndale, Calif. (College of the Canyons), 2009.
He was a four-star JC recruit with 4.3 speed that Tim Brewster—What else?–hyped even more, as Carpenter picked the Gophers over Florida and a host of others. Alas, he finished with three catches for 43 yards in two years after being touted as the No. 1 JC player in the nation by Scout.com. The Carpenter era epitomized the Brewster era—lots of sizzle, no substance. Perfect.

http://btn.com/2014/02/04/top-recru...l-over-last-10-years/?cmp=user+shared+twitter

Go Gophers!!

It was almost like a body double showed up on campus and it wasn't the real Hayo. Maybe there is some kind of back story where he was the slower cousin who couldn't catch or run routes or block that had to take Hayo's place to get away from the gang lord or something...anything would be better than the the dumpster fire of a NCAA career that he had here.

Yup, the 4.38, was more like 4.78. Anybody who can run 4.31-9 is so fast the average guy on the street can tell it. I saw Rick Upchurch practice at the U, and he had a gear I had never seen before. Full speed in two steps. You can"t mistake 4.38 if you are awake. The speed could never have been there and the screw up is as bad as a couple of Tubbys, except at least Tubby rescinded the offers about half the time.

Sub 4.4 is smoking herculean fast...Percy Harvin fast.

I remember one time he had a catch against Wisconsin, and it looked like he had a lot of real estate in front of him. I was licking my chops because I thought he was going to take it to the house.

He ended up gaining 25 yards, but he was run down by a defensive end. That dispelled any illusions of greatness I had of him.

Makes you wonder if he ever ran 4.3. He probably knew he couldn't and thought: "Hey, I'll go to Minnesota where I might actually have a chance to play with my tiny frame and 4.7 speed."

I remember one time he had a catch against Wisconsin, and it looked like he had a lot of real estate in front of him. I was licking my chops because I thought he was going to take it to the house.

He ended up gaining 25 yards, but he was run down by a defensive end. That dispelled any illusions of greatness I had of him.

You remembered it better than I did. I just remember him getting run down by a D-lineman. If Hayo is the poster child for Brewster's tenure, that play was the poster child for Hayo.

To me...Sam Maresh was the biggest disappointment.

To me...Sam Maresh was the biggest disappointment.

Heartbreak for sure...but his failings were medical and personal. Hayo was a flop because he was slow, short and couln't catch the ball.

Top Bottom