BTN's Tom Dienhart Q&A on Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
What did you think of the Gophers this spring? The word out of Dinkytown is that the secondary looks drastically improved and quarterback MarQueis Gray looks great, but he may not have any Big Ten level receivers to throw to. – Michael

I have heard some good reports from the Twin Cities on the Gophers as they enter Year Two under Jerry Kill, who debuted with a 3-9 mark last year. Finding someone to replace the production of wideout Da’Jon McKnight will be difficult. He accounted for more than 42 percent of the Gophers’ receiving yards last year and 40 percent of Minnesota’s receiving touchdowns. Much is expected from senior Brandon Green. And speedy youngster Devin Crawford-Tufts also could play a big role. Malcolm Moulton and Marcus Jones, coming off a knee injury, Isaac Fruechte, Victor Keise and A.J. Barker are others receivers to watch.

Just be straight with me, Tom: Will the Gophers go to a bowl game and win a rivalry game or two? Minnesota fans desperately want the Axe back this year. – Jamie

Wow, this is some type of record—TWO Minnesota questions in the same mailbag. Yes, I think there’s a decent chance to reach the postseason. But it’s gonna be difficult for the Gophers to reach their first bowl since Tim Brewster took the program to back-to-back bowls in 2008-09 (Insight Bowl losses).

The schedule sets up for a nice start, with games at UNLV and at home vs. FCS New Hampshire, Western Michigan and Syracuse. So, a 4-0 start isn’t out of the realm of possibilities.

That would mean Minnesota would need just two Big Ten wins to net bowl eligibility. There are games on the road at Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois and Nebraska. The home games are vs. Northwestern, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State.
I see at least two—maybe three—good opportunities for wins in there. So, who knows?
As for winning the Axe from Wisconsin? I think Minnesota has a better chance to go to a bowl.

http://btn.com/2012/04/27/reader-mail-post-spring-football-assessments/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom