BTN Gopher Hockey has the absolute worst sports announcer in all of sports

DrBill

Reaction score
BTN Gopher Hockey has the absolute worst sports announcer in all of sports--Ben Clymer. Unlike other televised sports games, there is very little play-by-play announcing on BTN Gopher Hockey. Instead, Ben Clymer talks down to his audience (Squirt hockey players) in his long-winded comments that have very little to do with the live action. Clymer falsely poses as a self-anointed hockey expert giving condescending hockey instructions while ignoring the live action. BTN massages Clymer's over-sized ego by displaying photos of Clymer as a Gopher hockey player. BTN is a bush-league operation and it fails to provide decent hockey announcers. [By the way, I bleed maroon and gold--B.S. 1966, M.A. 1969, and certification 1974-1975). Moved to Washington State in 2002 and faithfully watch Gopher Sports on real sports stations such as ESPN and bush-league stations like BTN.] To avoid the Clymer distraction, I have to mute BTN hockey games and get actual live game commentary on Gopher hockey radio streaming. Unfortunately, BTN TV and Gopher radio streaming are not in sync.

I am no expert on what makes a good hockey announcer but I do watch every game and I like Clymer.

I hate Clymer. He's arrogant and grates me every time he speaks. He makes Doug McLeod sound like a poet...

I think I would rather see Beth Mowins make the move to covering hockey than listen to Clymer. Good heavens, do I ever miss Frank Mazocco.

The MSU homers that broadcast the game tonight were pretty bad.

My favorite was when they said: "wow MSU has 3 posts tonight. If everyone of those had gone in, it would be a different game."

Yep, and if every shot MSU took went in, it would be a blow out too. but so what...

My favorite was when they said: "wow MSU has 3 posts tonight. If everyone of those had gone in, it would be a different game."

Yep, and if every shot MSU took went in, it would be a blow out too. but so what...

They incorrectly stated on their graphics that we were the national runner up last year. And that five points this weekend would guarantee a share of the B1G title (though if Michigan loses again tomorrow, that one will turn out to be true). I was a little amused by him referring to a close in shot as "firing one from the ladies tees."

I am no expert on what makes a good hockey announcer but I do watch every game and I like Clymer.
I bet you really like it when he takes the frozen biscuit and slides it surreptitiously through the netminder’s painted goal crease area into the slot area. A puck, mind you, that looks eerily similar to one that his close personal friend Doug Woog gave him one twilight evening when the Wooger wanted some sage given advise from your dialectic hero Ben Clymer, Anal-ish for BTN. Oh wait, as we peruse our verbalisms, the Gophers score a goal, which is actually quite appropriate to the verbose Ben Clymer style.

I think Clymer does a good job. Some people on this board are really hard to please.

Top Bottom