BTN: Fleck isn’t in Dinkytown to go to the Foster Farms Bowl. Or the Outback Bowl.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dienhart:

Fleck isn’t in Dinkytown to go to the Foster Farms Bowl, or the Pinstripe Bowl, or the Outback Bowl. No offense to those postseason destinations. They are just fine and dandy, and Minnesota no doubt wouldn’t mind playing in them. But Fleck wants the Big Ten’s grand prize, the “Granddaddy of them All,” the Rose Bowl. Or, as some are now dubbing it, the “RowsBowl.”

Now, Fleck is at Minnesota to kick down the door at a school whose best days are from a black-and-white era dotted with names like Warmath, Giel, Bierman, Smith and Nagurski.

This is going to be interesting, fun … and different.

“I’ve got news for you,” Fleck said. “Change has arrived.”

Hurricane Fleck has blown into town. Brace yourself, Big Ten.

http://btn.com/2017/01/06/dienhart-high-energy-p-j-fleck-aims-to-bring-change-to-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

I hope we make a stop at the OutBack Bowl on the way up.

The problem I see with coaches like this, are that fans will grow impatient after such a short time (1-3 years). Fleck talks and promises a huge game, but it will take a while to build the program and culture. Ohio State and Michigan, get 1-2 years when they get new coaches, Minnesota needs 3-5 years...so buckle your enthusiasm Gopher fans...otherwise, you will be pretty disappointed in this upcoming season.

I still can't believe this is happening. I still can't believe we got the hottest, best, young, college football coach in America! Amazing. I'm still in shock. Ski U Mah! We're in uncharted territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now we need the hottest, best, young, college football quarterback in America!

The problem I see with coaches like this, are that fans will grow impatient after such a short time (1-3 years). Fleck talks and promises a huge game, but it will take a while to build the program and culture. Ohio State and Michigan, get 1-2 years when they get new coaches, Minnesota needs 3-5 years...so buckle your enthusiasm Gopher fans...otherwise, you will be pretty disappointed in this upcoming season.
I get what you're saying, however this isn't a total rebuild. There may be a slight dip in Year 1, but as long as the guys in the program buy in, I think we can get back to a minimum of our current level by the second or third season.

Now we need the hottest, best, young, college football quarterback in America!

To be honest, we already had the hottest, best looking, young college football fans in the country...

WTF are you talking about? We won 9 games last year, 8 or more in 3 of the last 4 and 3 years ago we played on New Years Day in Florida.

If Fleck needs 3 - 5 years we hired the wrong guy and are paying him way too much money. I expect continued and growing success and he as 3 years to win the West or he isn't the guy we should have hired.

We keep 5 of the suspened players along with what he brings in recruit wise, I don't see us taking a step back. The schedule is doable for 8 wins, and maybe more. Just me, but i don't think we lose a home game next year. And yes boys and girls, that includes Becky.

per Dienhart:

Fleck isn’t in Dinkytown to go to the Foster Farms Bowl, or the Pinstripe Bowl, or the Outback Bowl. No offense to those postseason destinations. They are just fine and dandy, and Minnesota no doubt wouldn’t mind playing in them. But Fleck wants the Big Ten’s grand prize, the “Granddaddy of them All,” the Rose Bowl. Or, as some are now dubbing it, the “RowsBowl.”

Now, Fleck is at Minnesota to kick down the door at a school whose best days are from a black-and-white era dotted with names like Warmath, Giel, Bierman, Smith and Nagurski.

This is going to be interesting, fun … and different.

“I’ve got news for you,” Fleck said. “Change has arrived.”

Hurricane Fleck has blown into town. Brace yourself, Big Ten.

http://btn.com/2017/01/06/dienhart-high-energy-p-j-fleck-aims-to-bring-change-to-minnesota/

Go Gophers!!

Better read that to the guys saying the Gophers will be lucky to get 6 wins..

WTF are you talking about? We won 9 games last year, 8 or more in 3 of the last 4 and 3 years ago we played on New Years Day in Florida.

If Fleck needs 3 - 5 years we hired the wrong guy and are paying him way too much money. I expect continued and growing success and he as 3 years to win the West or he isn't the guy we should have hired.
Yep

I hope fleck can win at least 7.

He only cost over $10,000,000

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yeah, this cannot be thought of as a "rebuild". I will give Fleck time, but we are in the midst of the best years of Gopher football in my lifetime.

Spot on.

Or it is possible it will be necessary to take a step back to make progress. Western Michigan was 4-8 before Fleck took over and went 1-11 the first year. Some may have given up on him then.

There were indications of progress, such as recruiting ratings (I realize some here dismiss those rating, but in Fleck's case, they appear to be a pretty good leading indicator), but it took time to make real progress.

I expect a drop back next year and maybe the year following. As long as the recruiting classes show progress, I will remain optimistic.

What if he wins the B1G West in year 4. Doesn't meet your timeframe. Guess Fleck shouldn't have been hired under that scenario.

Curious if you would have the same timeframe for the previous HC?

What if he wins the B1G West in year 4. Doesn't meet your timeframe. Guess Fleck shouldn't have been hired under that scenario.

Yes. And I wasn't necessarily against firing Tracy Claeys, I just hated the way Coyles and Kaler crapped on the Kill/Claeys era and all the good that they accomplished. If Claeys had been extended and we didn't win the west in the next couple of years I would have been clamoring for his head.

Prepare for a step back next year until he gets his own guys in there and his own system implemented. Don't freak out if you only get 7-8 wins. Just hold on, because the 10+ win seasons are coming.

Usually if you don't reach your timeline, you don't get those additional years. Like, what if Brew would have won a national championship in year 6?

Prepare for a step back next year until he gets his own guys in there and his own system implemented. Don't freak out if you only get 7-8 wins. Just hold on, because the 10+ win seasons are coming.

I agree with you, patience will be important this fall. We have been waiting a long time for a commitment like this so one year should not be hard. Fleck is turning an aircraft carrier here not a battle ship and if we are looking for Championships we will need to be the aircraft carrier. Thanks for the positive input.

Thank you for explaining how coaching changes work...we don't know anything about that here at Minnesota. Next can you tell us how to shovel snow?

I agree with you, patience will be important this fall. We have been waiting a long time for a commitment like this so one year should not be hard. Fleck is turning an aircraft carrier here not a battle ship and if we are looking for Championships we will need to be the aircraft carrier. Thanks for the positive input.

The ship already turned when we fired Brewster. We just need to give the ship more throttle.

I rarely post on this site, but felt compelled to log in based on your ridiculous continuous negativity in many of these threads (GopherinPhilly). You're either a troll, or a just a huge wet blanket... both bad options. No one knows how the Fleck era will turn out, all we can hope for is the best and show a little support and positivity. In my opinion it's been a long time since there has been this much buzz, locally and nationally, so we might as well embrace it! Good times ahead (fingers crosses), let's all choose a glass half full approach for once.

P.J. has been all over the media, here and nationally, trying to do everything he can to get people to forget that Minnesota is coming off a 9-4 season. They are, not the 4-8 team that he inherited at WMU. A season where, coincidentally enough, the Gophers beat WMU at TCF 28-23.

He understands that. That's why he's taking most of the kids that committed here, not pulling their scholarships at the last minute, the way he did at WMU.

Very happy to see him get the coaching job here and understand that any coach taking over a "Non-Helmet School" team makes his first job to be lowering expectations.

No reason as you said, to "freak out over" 7-8 wins.

No reason to think a 9-4 or 10-3 record would be a huge turn around ether

I rarely post on this site, but felt compelled to log in based on your ridiculous continuous negativity in many of these threads (GopherinPhilly). You're either a troll, or a just a huge wet blanket... both bad options. No one knows how the Fleck era will turn out, all we can hope for is the best and show a little support and positivity. In my opinion it's been a long time since there has been this much buzz, locally and nationally, so we might as well embrace it! Good times ahead (fingers crosses), let's all choose a glass half full approach for once.

Rarely is once or twice a month. Never is 3rd post since 2013. You are welcome! Glad my posts could get you more involved in supporting Gopher athletics. See you again in 2021.

Top Bottom