BTN Double Header (1-3-17)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Ohio State (3-0) defeated Northwestern (2-1) in Evanston, 94-87. The game had a bit of everything. In the first half, OSU's 10-17 shooting from three staked the Buckeyes to 54-42 lead. In the second half, Coffey accidently low bridged Kelsey Mitchell putting her flat on her back. Mitchell went to the bench and sat with a towel over her head and ice on her eye. Later, Kevin McGuff picked up a technical disputing a scramble which led to an over and back call. Mitchell reentered the game and immediately nailed a long three.

The Wildcats battled back with Douglas knocking down a three with :34 seconds remaining making it 90-87. HOWEVER, while the three counted, Coffey picked up her fifth foul for trying to plow through Cooper. Cooper made the foul shots. Other Notes: Inman also fouled out late. Abi Scheid was perfect from the floor for the Wildcats (7-7 (4-4 from three and 2-2 from the line)) for 20 points.

Meanwhile, at Penn State, the Lady Lions (1-2) took down Iowa (1-2) 71-58. The Hawkeyes were 2-19 from three and without it they aren't the Hawkeyes.

Also, Northwestern's Ashley Deary became the B1Gs all time steals leader. Her 6 steals last night gave her 378.

Watched good parts of both games. Too much time on my hands, I think. OSU is ridiculously talented and deep. But the question is whether McGuff will be able to mold that team. Is there such a thing as too much talent? Northwestern gave OSU a good run. Coffey is a great player, but she didn't shoot well against OSU. Three games in, I still see Northwestern as a top five team in the BIG, but they'll have to stay healthy as they're not all that deep. Iowa is not the great 3-point shooting team that they've been in the past and that's a problem with their 4-guard lineup. Gustafson has developed into one of the top bigs in the conference and I like the grit they get from the freshman Doyle. Disterhoft was held to single digit scoring by PSU and she might be trying to do too much. Paige played for PSU despite some wrapped fingers and was only mildly effective. I think our Gophers will have chances to finish above both PSU and Iowa in the BIG, but no guarantees with that.

Gustafson has developed into one of the top bigs in the conference and I like the grit they get from the freshman Doyle.

The Connie Yori fallout at Nebraska was good for Lisa Bulder.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ee-now-shes-play-them-nebraska-iowa/95999576/

Her energy is contagious, her smile infectious. She’s a dive-to-the-floor, big-ol’-mouthguard-wearin' glue girl who’s got a knack for making basketball fun. A perfect fit for the Hawkeyes. A prospect with lots of guts and some rough edges.

She’s also a last-minute Hawkeye.

Doyle, an ESPN top-100 recruit from La Grange Park, Ill., originally signed a letter of intent with Nebraska. The athletics website already had a player profile for her last year — that profile still exists.

It was all but official. Doyle was a Husker.

Until she wasn’t.

On April 5, Nebraska head coach Connie Yori resigned under pressure from the school. The athletic department had investigated claims from players that she had mistreated them. Yori denied those allegations.

Doyle reopened her recruitment, and Nebraska released her from her letter of intent.

Breaking down Tania Davis and Kathleen Doyle's career nights for Iowa

"The kids go through the recruiting process, and they really spend a lot of their time talking to the coaching staff," Kathleen’s dad, Mike Doyle, told the Naperville Sun last May. "She has spent 18-24 months getting to know not only coach Yori but the assistants as well.

"A lot of the schools that recruited her the first time reached out and had an extremely high level of interest. This time the process sped up. We felt fortunate that Kathleen had other choices.”

Thanks for posting, Iggy. I wasn't aware that she had committed to the Huskers. She's a nice player. Probably needs to approve her outside shooting, but I love her aggressive on offense and defense. I think she has a small streak going of 3 steals or more in the last 3 games.

Top Bottom