BTN discussion

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
In reference to the thread that was rightly closed by the moderators. ... my thoughts.

(1) I like being able to watch Big Ten Tonight.

(2) I like the BTN's thorough coverage of Big 10 football, and the analysts they use in studio (Revsine, Griffith, Mason & DiNardo work well together).

(3) I especially like the BTN's thorough coverage of Big 10 basketball, with guys like Shon Morris and Jimmy Jackson at the top of the list.

(4) I'm like the rest of you, I wish every game the Gophers played at home was telecast live on the BTN, but I can live with the fact 27 of their regular-season 30 games will be live on the BTN, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.

(5) Other than baseball, I'm not all that interested in the other sports.

(6) 1, 2 & 3 trump 4 & 5 by a significant margin.

Overall summation: I like the Big Ten Network a lot. I now have a lot more access to Big 10 basketball & football programming (both the Gophers and the Big 10 overall), and I pay a lot less than I did before the BTN came into existence.

I agree SS -- now that BTN has resolved its issues with the cable companies, I like BTN a lot. It covers more Gopher games than any channel previously that I can remember. The games they are not covering are available on the Internet or alternatively, go to the game! Tickets for those games are easy to get. Or, combine the Internet with the WCCO broadcast.

I do not think this issue is big enough to cause the problems we seem to be having on this board.

Enjooooy the season!

SS: Just curious

In reference to the thread that was rightly closed by the moderators. ... my thoughts.

(2) I like the BTN's thorough coverage of Big 10 football, and the analysts they use in studio (Revsine, Griffith, Mason & DiNardo work well together).

(3) I especially like the BTN's thorough coverage of Big 10 basketball, with guys like Shon Morris and Jimmy Jackson at the top of the list.

(4) I'm like the rest of you, I wish every game the Gophers played at home was telecast live on the BTN, but I can live with the fact 27 of their regular-season 30 games will be live on the BTN, CBS, ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.

Overall summation: I like the Big Ten Network a lot. I now have a lot more access to Big 10 basketball & football programming (both the Gophers and the Big 10 overall), and I pay a lot less than I did before the BTN came into existence.

SS: I am curious as to why you say the other thread was "rightly closed"? Did I miss some good invective?

:) :) :)

SS: Nevermind

Nevermind. I saw the "other" thread. Enough said.

I don't like having to PPV games but I like to be able to watch - if I choose -

Yes, they're providing more coverage than ever. What did make me kind of hot the other day is when Michigan was on and playing, what I thought, was an exhibition game against a D2 team.

Just kind of pissed me off. It doesn't seem quite fair in a way that our first game was against, certainly a weaker opponent, but hell, at least, they were a D1 team - and we had to PPV the game and then had to watch Mich slaughter a D2 team?

I dunno.

SS,

I can't believe you don't care about access to men's gymnastics and women's golf.

At one time every MN BB game was on MSC with Brem and Dutch. That's just a fact.
like it or not. That's men's BB of course. Some years they also carried the exhibition games.

I certainly love playing golf, but I think I care more about the WNBA than I do about Gopher/Big 10 golf (men's or women's). And I care zero about the WNBA.

"At one time every MN BB game was on MSC with Brem and Dutch. That's just a fact."

Respectfully, do you have evidence of that, or is that just just something you're stating as fact and we're supposed to accept it as true? If you do have factual evidence that it's true, I'd like to see it. I'll be the first to come on here & stand corrected.

It sounds like we grew up watching Gopher basketball (at least some overlap) at the same time (the MSC days), and every game being on TV. ... that's certainly not my recollection. I remember the Gophers being on MSC, but certainly not every single game, and certainly not every game live. I remember a lot of Gopher games being on tape delay, which doesn't interest me much because I don't get much enjoyment watching a game where the result has already been determined.

90% of their games are on live TV this season. That's 9 out of 10. 90%. Personally, I don't care (or count) how many times another Big 10 team will be on the BTN compared to the Gophers. The stat that matters most to me is that 90% of the time if I want to watch the Gophers live this season, all I have to do is turn on my TV. I like those numbers. ... and I say that even if indeed it's true that MSC circa 80's/90's carried every Gopher game live.

"It sounds like we grew up watching Gopher basketball (at least some overlap) at the same time (the MSC days), and every game being on TV. ... that's certainly not my recollection. I remember the Gophers being on MSC, but certainly not every single game, and certainly not every game live. I remember a lot of Gopher games being on tape delay, which doesn't interest me much because I don't get much enjoyment watching a game where the result has already been determined.

I too remember games being on tape delay during the MSC days. The t-wolves i believe had a priority over the Gophers which caused alot of that. But I do also recall Channel 23 at that time would also pick up games that were originally slated for tape delay if they thought viewership would be high enough. It is my understanding that the BTN does not allow a local station to do that now. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

If not, that would be my number one complaint. If a local station wished to by the rights and show it live the BTN should allow it.

How did you like the year the Gophers were on the Twins channel? I think the Big Ten network is an improvement.

Furhtermore, it is much better for the conference as a whole.

27 out of 30 is pretty impressive. For the other three, I would think tickets were available.

Perhaps I'll change my User ID to "George Carlin" since I've found a word that is not politically correct on this board.

Now the point of my original, deleted thread was that all conference teams should be treated equally. Yet some teams, like Indiana and MSU have all their games live on the BTN (with replays), while there are several second class programs, like the Gophers, who have a separate ... and we are told "equal" ... access to some of our games. Of course "equal" means paying $2.99 + tax for an inferior quality broadcast.

I, for one, do not think the Gophers will ever gain "equal" status with some of our blessed Big Ten bretheran, because in the end we need the Big Ten more than they need us and they know it.

I do think the BTN should do something similar to ESPN360. This way you can watch any and all games that are on the BTN. Does anyone know how ESPN360 works? I know not every internet/cable provider offers that. I have Mediacom here and I get it. Does Mediacom pay a small fee to ESPN to have this access?

Don't really have too many issues with BTN other than the ridiculous $2.99 charge for streamed games. And even then, the biggest problem I have there is that the stream quality is horrendous. Other than that, BTN is doing exactly what every other media outlet does in cases such as these; they're interested in ratings and numbers above all else. That's why Indiana and Michigan State get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to no streaming games.

I like the fact that they cover all the Big Ten sports since I follow them all pretty closely (or, at least as closely as I am able). Is there a bias towards schools such as Michigan and Ohio State in football and Indiana and Michigan State in basketball? Maybe, but at this point, it isn't as glaring as some other networks in their biases (cough.ESPN.cough).

Overall, paying the $2.99 is more of an annoyance than anything else. Then again, once BTN starts really favoring some schools over others (and I'm sure they will at some point), we can restart the conversation.

They got rid of the semi-decent announcer tonight and apparently replaced him with the Fargo-sounding guy's girlfriend Jessica!!

This entire broadcast is terrible from top to bottom. The video quality is awful and the announcing is something from a bad movie. Should be free.

Perhaps I'll change my User ID to "George Carlin" since I've found a word that is not politically correct on this board.

As one of the few people who actually saw your thread LIVE (before the GopherHole administrators deleted it), I would say that any parent, booster and potential player would have been offended by that thread--especially considering that there are only TWO non-black athletes on the Gopher roster.

If you don't know the difference between "political correctness" and a racial slur (btw the "N" word is not only a racial slur, but considered hate speech by law), you need to return your UMN diploma and start your education from scratch.

And your post was the first time I seriously wondered just what it takes to get banned from the Gopherhole board. Now I know that it must be completely arbitrary and random.

BTW: I agree that the Gopher fans got the "okey-doke" from the Big Ten Network after garnering our support to get their station deal with Comcast.

I am absolutely disgusted with the Big Ten Network. Charging $3 for a blurry video that stops and starts, combined with amateur announcers is an outrage.

Another one from Jessica: "Iverson is really hot under the net tonight"

BTN thoughts:

1. I hate to pick on a couple of students trying their best, but the announcers last nite were pretty bad.

2. I understand that money and ratings control the market. When it comes to national coverage like ESPN and CBS it makes sense, but The University of Minnesota is and equal 1/11Th partner in BTN and coverage/exposure should be equal.

3. If you are going to market a product make it a good product. Make the audio and video top quality and charge accordingly.-8, 10, 12$ or whatever. I would think you would have more buyers and less complaints.

4. In answer to SS. I also remember the days of tape delay games on MSC. However there was some years they had all the games. Maybe it was a short period. FSN actually took over MSC(which was locally owned by WCCO) but kept the MSC name for a period of time. That's when the tape-delay and less Gopher BB started. My busy social calender prevents me from finding info to document these points.

5. Hopefully FRESH TROUT will chime in and back me up. That's if he can get away from counting all his money.

Top Bottom