BTN Big Ten Player Rankings (#6. Nate Mason)

At this point, I would rank Amir higher than Nate.

Both are crucial to the Gophers in different ways. I would rate Mason higher if for no other reason that if Mason doesn't get the ball downcourt and the offense settled in, Coffey has little chance to then excel.

I get that Mason's leadership has been big. Coffey has been more consistent from what I've seen the last for games and has been the guy when the team needed a big play. He's absolutely fearless.

Gophers players?

MVP = Mason

Most Skilled = Coffey

Most Indispensable = Lynch

Most Versatile = McBrayer

Toughest = Murphy

Most Townsend Orr-like = Springs

TO one of my Gopher favorites. Always had a ton of energy, and took a lot of those, "No. ... Yes!" shots.

Mason is the only one that can hit a freethrow at the end of the game. Thus, he's my MVP.

Mason is the only one that can hit a freethrow at the end of the game. Thus, he's my MVP.

Agree. I'll also not the above comment, the offense doesn't run as well if Mason is not on the court. He acts and produces like a team leader.

The last 4 games of his "inconsistency" and Coffey being open for the slash across the lane has a TON to do with teams focusing on the high ball screen Nate activates at most of our offensive sets. Watch weak side help and the strong side help when Nate has the ball in his hand. When Nate swings that ball to Coffey on the right side(strong side) the defense is always late to recover thus allowing Amir to just slash straight across the lane with little help on defense.

Nate is this team, he's a stud, and that's why every coach talks about him and how they need to stop him. He will struggle to score against bigger teams, but will absolutely lead this team in all facets. He's the quintessential upperclassman quality point guard. Hard for us to recognize it as it's been quite a while since we had one.

Don't get me wrong I think he has been the best at the point this team has had since the Clem era. The fact is he is 9/34 FG shooting if you disregard the Purdue game and 4/14 from 3 since the start of the BT season. I would change my opinion if he let shots come to him more instead of trying to create his own shot. I think his shot selection hurts this team at times.

On Sunday, Nate reminded me of a lot of star players having rough games. When he cut into the lane late in the game and put that floater up in a clutch situation, I knew it was going in.

Feels good when we can argue about which player on the team is MVP.

Top Bottom