BTN: 3 Games to Watch This Week (Minnesota at Michigan State)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Jan. 11 at 7 p.m. ET on BTN: No. 24 Minnesota (15-2, 3-1) at Michigan State (11-6, 3-1)

Here we go. We’re already getting treated to a rematch of one of the best Big Ten games so far during this young conference season. In case you missed the Dec. 27 opener, Minnesota collapsed late and coughed up a double-digit lead against the Spartans, eventually falling 75-74 in overtime. At the time the loss looked like it had potential to destabilize the Gophers and spoil their strong start, but Minnesota hasn’t wobbled since.

You can’t say enough about the job Richard Pitino has done to turn a team that won eight games total last season into a Top 25 squad this year. It’s looking increasingly likely that the Gophers will return to the NCAA tournament for the first time in four years, as Pitino seems to have enough consistent production in his lineup to avoid a collapse. Avenging their home loss to the Spartans won’t be easy — winning at the Breslin Center never is — but Minnesota absolutely looks like the superior team right now. Who would have predicted that in November?

Given their youth, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised that Michigan State fluctuates game-to-game. But, man, the Spartans had me believing they were really about to get it going after getting Miles Bridges healthy and demolishing Rutgers for their fourth straight win. Penn State was a tough assignment at Philadelphia’s Palestra this past weekend, but Michigan State was never really that close in a 72-63 loss. Still, we’ve been through this before. We know it’s foolish to doubt Tom Izzo when things look shaky. If Michigan State can pull off the regular season sweep of the Gophers, it will be win No. 22 for the Spartans in the teams’ last 27 meetings.

http://btn.com/2017/01/09/3-pointer-big-ten-basketball-games-to-watch-this-week-3/

Go Gophers!!

Indiana is inconsistent. Iowa is a one trick pony. UMN-MSU should be the top game this week. Not trying to be a homer, but this is the only match-up of two top notch BT teams IMO.

idk if i would say superior team because sparty just got back briges but it should be a great game!

Despite previous win over Gophers, this is a much bigger game for Sparty than it is the Gophers. Gophers are much better positioned for the postseason (read: NCAA). Sparty starting a pretty difficult stretch now, so a sweep of the Gophers would give them a little buffer. A Gophers win and Sparty might start feeling the heat again, and then have to stare down a Columbus/Bloomington road trip followed by a home game vs. Purdue.

Huge game for the Gophers. A win puts them in a really great position. Difficult with Bridges back but definitely a game they CAN win. Also, if they win, 3-0 on the road???? Never did I ever expect that.

Top Bottom