BT Powerhouse Gophers Preview

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Apparently not aware that Fitzgerald is out for the season.

Pegs Gophers for 12th.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With Fitz out, would you peg the Gophers higher? [emoji15]

With Fitz out, would you peg the Gophers higher? [emoji15]

Have them pegged for 11th, with 6 to 8 as B1G win range, so I'm going with 7.

First half of conference schedule is positively brutal. Will be tough to build momentum even if they're playing well. If Gophers are somehow 4-5 at the turn, that would be fantastic and set them up well for the less treacherous ("on paper") 2nd half.

Have them pegged for 11th, with 6 to 8 as B1G win range, so I'm going with 7.

First half of conference schedule is positively brutal. Will be tough to build momentum even if they're playing well. If Gophers are somehow 4-5 at the turn, that would be fantastic and set them up well for the less treacherous ("on paper") 2nd half.

I suspect the 2 MSU games are much less daunting with them down to 1 player taller than 6'7" (not saying our skills match but they might not be the team they were expected to be)

Edit: Then again Villanova had a few good teams with dante cunningham as their tallest player on the floor

I suspect the 2 MSU games are much less daunting with them down to 1 player taller than 6'7" (not saying our skills match but they might not be the team they were expected to be)

Edit: Then again Villanova had a few good teams with dante cunningham as their tallest player on the floor

What do you suspect Izzo is going to do? I could anticipate him going ball pressure and even more up-tempo than he normally does. Stop the ball from getting in the post in the first place, and beat the bigs down the floor.

Could be a really fun game to watch for our guards to be on the court for.

What do you suspect Izzo is going to do? I could anticipate him going ball pressure and even more up-tempo than he normally does. Stop the ball from getting in the post in the first place, and beat the bigs down the floor.

Could be a really fun game to watch for our guards to be on the court for.

Izzo pretty much has to play press, zone up and shoot the 3 with his team. I suspect that the 2 freshmen he has in Bridges(6'7"), and Ward(6'9") are strong enough to muscle up in the post along with Kenny Goins(6'6"). But the team has shooters still (not like Forbes last year) so it'll be interesting. But combine the lack of size and them potentially overlooking us? We might be able to take the first game off them.

Izzo pretty much has to play press, zone up and shoot the 3 with his team. I suspect that the 2 freshmen he has in Bridges(6'7"), and Ward(6'9") are strong enough to muscle up in the post along with Kenny Goins(6'6"). But the team has shooters still (not like Forbes last year) so it'll be interesting. But combine the lack of size and them potentially overlooking us? We might be able to take the first game off them.

Granted, it was vs. an overmatched opponent, but Bridges went for 33 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 assists, and was 12-for-14 from the floor (5-for-5 from 3) last night in MSU's exhibition opener. That's an efficient stat line. Another one of Sparty's stud freshmen (Langford) didn't play.

The other two freshmen Ward (19 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks) and Winston (9 points, 9 assists) had nice debuts, as well.

Granted, it was vs. an overmatched opponent, but Bridges went for 33 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks, 3 assists, and was 12-for-14 from the floor (5-for-5 from 3) last night in MSU's exhibition opener. That's an efficient stat line. Another one of Sparty's stud freshmen (Langford) didn't play.

Christ.

From my vantage point, it looks like the traditional "big man" is becoming less and less common in college ball. A lot of teams now are playing what, in the old days, would have amounted to 3 guards and two forwards. The center who goes 6'10" or taller, and plays with his back to the basket, is harder to find. And, a lot of bigger men like to go outside and shoot 3's.

Nothing wrong with the trend - I'm just old-fashioned. I would always prefer to have a true big man - the trick is finding one.

Top Bottom