BT coach: Fleck's brand and style never makes friends in the division; they want to be flashier and louder than the programs in area

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Here are four coaches' statements put into context:

"(Head coach P.J. Fleck's) brand and style never makes friends in the division; they want to be flashier and louder than the programs that have been successful in their area."

"Can Fleck win big rivalry games? It's great they upset Penn State, but that next step to advance recruiting is to beat the Iowas, to beat the Wisconsins."

Go Gophers!!

Figured I'd pull out the other anonymous quotes and put them here, even though they don't relate to Fleck:
"(Running back Mohamed Ibrahim) could be really, really good. The only thing he lacks is game-breaker speed; otherwise you'd be talking about a Heisman (Trophy) campaign."
"Defensively, they were a bit of a mess. They need to get back to playing complementary football for their offense."

Sounds like some coaches are jealous where they don't get involved with the player's lives to make them better individuals. Fleck's mind is always running so likes to do different things to keep his players on their toes in addition to having fun.

Gives Fleck and his players more ammunition to work harder to beat these teams with anonymous coaches who don't have the courage to put their name out.

This remains one of the things I don't get.

at his first press conference after being hired at MN, Fleck said "I'm not for everybody." He was very up-front about the fact that he has a different style and some people are not going to like that style.

And yet, when Fleck is criticized, his supporters get upset.

What is the point of getting upset? Fleck said it himself - he's not for everybody.

And - if every other coach in the league said "he's a great guy," in my book that would indicate they don't see him as a threat.

at his first press conference after being hired at MN, Fleck said "I'm not for everybody." He was very up-front about the fact that he has a different style and some people are not going to like that style.

What is the point of getting upset? Fleck said it himself - he's not for everybody.

And - if every other coach in the league said "he's a great guy," in my book that would indicate they don't see him as a threat.
I just wish he didn't have to fight our own fan base/media for support, but that's just how it is. I expect dumb criticism of him from Iowa/Wisconsin inbreds, but it's a shame our own market can't get fully behind our best coach in 50+ years.

When you win consistently you don’t need to be flashy or loud to stand out. When you haven’t been winning you need to do something to gain attention. I’m sure the winning programs just want the lower programs to be quiet and assume their positions.

When you win consistently you don’t need to be flashy or loud to stand out. When you haven’t been winning you need to do something to gain attention. I’m sure the winning programs just want the lower programs to be quiet and assume their positions.
And those winning programs ... not like they're not flashy.

There's nothing in there to be upset about. In my opinion, it's all accurate. The "flashy and loud" comment is the only one that could be considered critical, but I want us to be flashy and loud. Now, you have to win, too. But flashy and loud after being ignored for 50 years can help us get there.

But, win or lose, Fleck has to be himself. "To thine own self be true." Fleck unabashedly is who he is. I myself would find it problematic if, to please some folks who are unrelated to the program, Fleck began investing a lot of energy trying to be something he isn't.

Nothing too surprising. As mentioned above, are coaches, especially in the same division every really "friendly"? I could see mutual respect, but I don't think this business is about making friends. If Fleck isn't making friends, that's about the least of my worries. Do you think many coaches are pining to have a beer with Chryst or Ferentz? They have the personality of a wet paper bag. But they win, so nobody really cares, nor should they.

The entire premise of a B1G coach needing to "make friends" with his division rivals is asinine.

And it isn't about being "flashier and louder" either. Fleck is a high-energy extrovert. Ferentz and Chryst are more low-key and possibly more introverted.

There is no rule that says only one personality type can be successful.

I think Fleck makes some of the other B1G West coaches nervous. They do not want to see Minnesota become a serious threat in the division. And I doubt if they like recruiting against a guy like Fleck. He's the Energizer Bunny.

Last edited:

Well, Bielema is back in the big ten so I expect kfan to have him on pa’s show like they use to. At the end Bert would say ‘on wisconsin’.

I am sure Ferentz and Chryst will want to be pals with you as long as you a guaranteed loser on their schedule.

What's Brohm's beef with Fleck?

Last edited:

I would venture a wild guess that head coaches in the BIG have far more important things to think about than PJ.
As long as the MN AD wants to pay PJ's salary it matters not a whit what anyone else thinks about him.

Im a PJ fan.

I love that the Iowa coaches hate him

At least with PJ we didn’t have to hire a ‘confidence coach’ to assist him with meeting new people.

To Fleck's credit, he doesn't bad mouth other coaches, or take little jabs at them, least as far as I can tell. He also seems to handle the critics pretty good.
Yeah he seems to focus on the positive for his team. I like that approach.

Way to many folks out there define themselves / things based on what they don't like ... that's no way to live.

Top Bottom