Bryant Allen

wait!what?

Reaction score
If the analyst would have done 20 min of prep on MN he would have mention Allen's dual sport and MO Mr Basketball. It seemed like the camera was cutting back to BA waiting for the analyst to add some comments. BA faked the one kid out his jock. The kid is the real deal.

Best for Allen?

I know Charlie Ward did it with great success at Florida State in the 90's...

But is it a good thing that Bryant Allen is playing hoops all winter long? Shouldn't he be running routes and getting stronger in the weight room?

Is this basically saying he's just going to return punts for the football team through his senior season and will never break into a larger role?

I love watching him knock down three's in mop-up duty for the Gophers--- but he'll never get significant minutes (in my opinion).

I want to see the football team win. I want to see the basketball team win. I just question in this era of sports specialization, should he have to make the same decision?

No Worries...........

I know Charlie Ward did it with great success at Florida State in the 90's...

But is it a good thing that Bryant Allen is playing hoops all winter long? Shouldn't he be running routes and getting stronger in the weight room?
Is this basically saying he's just going to return punts for the football team through his senior season and will never break into a larger role?

I love watching him knock down three's in mop-up duty for the Gophers--- but he'll never get significant minutes (in my opinion).

I want to see the football team win. I want to see the basketball team win. I just question in this era of sports specialization, should he have to make the same decision?

Allen is continually working on hand eye coordination by playing basketball. He is learning how to move without the ball which could actually help him with learning how to create space and get open. Playing ball, will also help with conditioning. It's not like he's playing a position which requires him to be tops in the weight room. I think he will be just fine.

As long as Allen can keep up the books, I see no problem.

I would also like to add that it's not like Allen's not in the weight room with the basketball team getting stronger. He'll be just fine.

I think the dual role is fine for a skill guy. Won't hurt him at all. but the big question I have is why is Tubby playing him? It's very possible that Tubby could have him for a full season as a fifth year senior if he doesn't blow his four years of eligibility on mop up duty. It seems a little short sighted.

Cuz I think Tubby (and BA) realize what he is(a great athlete). He most likely won't be extraordinary in either sport, but will contribute to both throughout 4 years. Maybe he doesn't wanna go to college for 5 years?

Yea, that dual sport thing really destroyed Decker's route running ability.

I think the dual role is fine for a skill guy. Won't hurt him at all. but the big question I have is why is Tubby playing him? It's very possible that Tubby could have him for a full season as a fifth year senior if he doesn't blow his four years of eligibility on mop up duty. It seems a little short sighted.

Losing Royce White, Mbakwe (sp?) and Al Nolen, Tubby likes having Allen to play some mop up minutes in blow-outs to save his main players.

Cuz I think Tubby (and BA) realize what he is(a great athlete). He most likely won't be extraordinary in either sport, but will contribute to both throughout 4 years. Maybe he doesn't wanna go to college for 5 years?

Those probably are the reasons, but still Allens not all that much of an addition now as a freshman, but a great athlete thats been around the program for five years and has a 23 year old body and skill, maybe worth a little investment. Just saying, it's like money in the bank.

Those probably are the reasons, but still Allens not all that much of an addition now as a freshman, but a great athlete thats been around the program for five years and has a 23 year old body and skill, maybe worth a little investment. Just saying, it's like money in the bank.

I could see him taking a late RS and focusing on football maybe his junior year all year into his senior football season, then playing his senior basketball season with his final eligible season.
I honestly don't even know if he's worried about that yet, he's going to be really dynamic next season, this kid has some serious maturity for his age, and quicks out of the roof.

I wonder if he'll steal the slot spot from Stoudamire. It'll be interesting to see how his hands hold up while also running more complex routes. I think that will be a great spot to watch to see who ends up the starter.

I wonder if he'll steal the slot spot from Stoudamire. It'll be interesting to see how his hands hold up while also running more complex routes. I think that will be a great spot to watch to see who ends up the starter.

I think they'll both play alot, they have similar skill sets, Stoudemire is built a little better, has more experience, etc. If Horton can find a way to mix in some quick screens, bubble screens, and reverses, etc for these 2, I think that adds alot to the offense. A play action bubble screen to Allen or Stoudemire could be very effective if the ground game is rolling.

What I'm curious to see is if Allen takes more of the downfield passing situations. Which comes back to the question of how will Allen respond to making tougher catches. I find this one to be an intriguing battle.

people are questioning why he played bball as a freshman instead of saving it for year 5.....but remember the only reason why he's on the team right now is because of the losses of Mbakwe and RW and Tubby needed a guy to play in blowouts to keep his main guys fresh

No need to comment on what might have been.
BA is playing 2 sports and maintaining eligibility.
He'll be running back kicks next year and the crowd will reward him for his efforts.

What happens when basketball becomes the focus and football is the afterthought? Other athletes say BA would prefer b-ball to FB.

our basketball team is a top program with a hall of fame coach, our football team has a coach who doesn't even have a .500 coaching record.

people are questioning why he played bball as a freshman instead of saving it for year 5.....but remember the only reason why he's on the team right now is because of the losses of Mbakwe and RW and Tubby needed a guy to play in blowouts to keep his main guys fresh

Allen was always planning on playing basketball, that was one of the reasons he came here, because he was told he would be able to play bball

I image it helps him to be coached up by Tubby Smith. It couldn't hurt. Tubby's tenacity and demanding coaching style hopefully pushes BA to be more tenacious and demanding of himself in both sports.

Bryant is really starting to remind me of a young Ali Farokhmanesh

Top Bottom