Bronco Bear game

denguegopher

Reaction score
Lots of Gophers playing. Bone head play by Barber. Did I see Adam Weber in the Bronco sidelines?

MBIII looked good but really botched the game for the Bears. He pulled a Robert Smith with about 1 minute left in regulation then fumbled in OT (if he wouldn't have fumbled he may have run for 6). Bummer

MBIII looked good but really botched the game for the Bears. He pulled a Robert Smith with about 1 minute left in regulation then fumbled in OT (if he wouldn't have fumbled he may have run for 6). Bummer

I'd put some blame on the Bears defensive coordinator. They sat in a deep prevent defense against the worst passer in the league. They made it so easy for Tebow to get 10-15 yards a play by playing so deep. The last two drives in regulation were ridiculous.

I feel bad for Decker, too bad he doesn't have a real QB to throw to him. His numbers went way down once Tebow became the starter.

On second thought, I don't feel bad for him...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/945190-jessie-james-pics-the-hottest-photos-of-eric-deckers-girlfriend/page/9

Yeah it is pretty tough to feel too sorry for Eric Decker right now. He is a starting WR on a team that looks to be headed for the playoffs. And on top of that he has a smokin hot girlfriend. I think he is probably holding up ok with the hit his numbers have taken in the past few weeks.

On a side note I am so glad things are going well for him. I had the chance to get to know Eric a little during his time at the U and he is a really great kid. It is easy to root for guys like him to have all kinds of success in life.

perhaps worse than the fumble was barber's going out of bounds on a run after the 2 minute warning...giving the broncos 40 more seconds at the end of regulation.

I'd put some blame on the Bears defensive coordinator. They sat in a deep prevent defense against the worst passer in the league. They made it so easy for Tebow to get 10-15 yards a play by playing so deep. The last two drives in regulation were ridiculous.

I feel bad for Decker, too bad he doesn't have a real QB to throw to him. His numbers went way down once Tebow became the starter.

On second thought, I don't feel bad for him...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/945190-jessie-james-pics-the-hottest-photos-of-eric-deckers-girlfriend/page/9

So you are not on the Tebow Bandwagon just yet?

So you are not on the Tebow Bandwagon just yet?

I just don't think this style of play can be successful for a long period. Tebow takes more hits than any other starting QB.

I also don't think their defense gets nearly enough credit. The only reason Tebow has a chance at the end of the games is because the defense has kept it close. In five of the last eight games, other teams were held to 15 or fewer points. In today's NFL, that's really good. They've also won three OT games in that time frame. In five OT possessions, the defense hasn't given up a single point.

They're playing well right now and have things going their way. I just don't think he can do it over the long haul.

I just don't think this style of play can be successful for a long period. Tebow takes more hits than any other starting QB.

I also don't think their defense gets nearly enough credit. The only reason Tebow has a chance at the end of the games is because the defense has kept it close. In five of the last eight games, other teams were held to 15 or fewer points. In today's NFL, that's really good. They've also won three OT games in that time frame. In five OT possessions, the defense hasn't given up a single point.

They're playing well right now and have things going their way. I just don't think he can do it over the long haul.

Yeah, it's one of the strangest runs I can remember in the NFL. It is really just proof that running the football well, playing good defense and not making mistakes is a good recipe for success.

Tebow annoyed me in college but I root for the Broncos now (initially because of Decker and Weber). I think I also pull for him because Hoge is such a weasel and it's funny to watch him squirm.

Generally, I agree that he can't win consistantly in the NFL and he can't be the long term solution at QB.

Yep, they just don't complete enough passes with Tebow for him to put up many stats. I'm sure he's happier with the wins.

Is that true?? I thought he became Tebow's favorite #1 option.
The number one option of a guy who throws the ball 15 times a game isn't getting many targets.

If Tebow keeps winning, I'm going to start going to church....one of those laid back Wednesday night ones with a guitar.

Don't know what it is about Tebow. Everything says he shouldn't be successful yet somehow he just keeps on piling up the wins for whatever team he is on. I don't know maybe there is some divine intervention at play. Everyone keeps waiting for him to fail and he just keeps on winning.

I do agree with GophersinIowa that a huge part of their success is due to the defense which is allowing them to win ugly by keeping the other team out of the endzone. If someone gets way out in front of them they are not the kind of team that can come back from a big deficit.

Conspiracy: Tebow sucks for 3 quarters on purpose and than actually tries the 4th quarter to convert people to Christianity.

Aside from the defense (which really hasn't been playing any better with Tebow than it did with Orton), there are several tangible factors as to why Tebow is a winning QB in the NFL:

1. He doesn't turn the ball over very often.
2. 3-and-outs are almost non-existent with him. This is an overlooked factor and is almost an extension of the "low turnovers" argument. Orton didn't turn the ball over that much either, but he had a ton of 3-and-outs and his ability to sustain drives was severely in question. Whether your defense is very good or not, sustaining drives is huge for both field position and time of possession (keeping your D fresher).
3. There have been few (none at the QB position) short-yardage runners like Tebow in the history of the NFL. When you need 2 or 3 yards to move the chains, he is as close to a guarantee as there currently is in the NFL. Running QBs in the NFL are usually finesse/speed types, and they don't last unless they have world-class speed and agility like Vick. Tebow is an entirely different type of running QB.

Aside from the defense (which really hasn't been playing any better with Tebow than it did with Orton), there are several tangible factors as to why Tebow is a winning QB in the NFL:

1. He doesn't turn the ball over very often.
2. 3-and-outs are almost non-existent with him. This is an overlooked factor and is almost an extension of the "low turnovers" argument. Orton didn't turn the ball over that much either, but he had a ton of 3-and-outs and his ability to sustain drives was severely in question. Whether your defense is very good or not, sustaining drives is huge for both field position and time of possession (keeping your D fresher).
3. There have been few (none at the QB position) short-yardage runners like Tebow in the history of the NFL. When you need 2 or 3 yards to move the chains, he is as close to a guarantee as there currently is in the NFL. Running QBs in the NFL are usually finesse/speed types, and they don't last unless they have world-class speed and agility like Vick. Tebow is an entirely different type of running QB.

I tried telling a Tebow hater about the ball control aspect and he wasn't having it. I guess some people don't like winning.

Their defense has been playing better in the past several games, statistically.

YPG against through first five games: 385.8
PPG against: 28.0
3rd down defense: 45% (31/69 converted) (side note, if they were playing 45% average for the season they'd be 30th in the NFL right now)
3rd down offense: 42% (25/60 converted) (this conversion rate would be top 10 YTD)

YPG against games 6-13: 339.1
PPG against: 20.3
3rd down defense: 27% (30/110 converted) (side note, if they were playing 27% average for the season they'd be leading the NFL right now)
3rd down offense: 27% (30/113 converted) (this conversion rate would be last in the league YTD)

Now, some of that is undoubtedly due to increase TOP from the offense, but they've been (statistically) a much better defensive team over the last 8 games than they were over the first five.

Now, all that being said, I fully expect the Broncos to end the season at 10-6 and win their division. They have a knack for beating mid-level teams, with the exception of the Jets (which I would call their best win of the year), and they have a knack of getting thrashed by upper-echelon teams (GB, Detroit (at the time)). They play one upper-echelon team (New England) and two mid-level/bad teams (Buffalo and KC) to finish the year.

And, that's not a bad thing to be able to consistently win against the middle-of-the-pack teams (after all, the top of the middle makes the playoffs in the NFL) but I just don't see it coming against very good/great teams.

Call me a Tebow hater (You're a Tebow hater!) but I fully expect the train to come crashing down against the Pats, and against (likely) Pittsburgh in the first round of the playoffs.

I tried telling a Tebow hater about the ball control aspect and he wasn't having it. I guess some people don't like winning.

From a time of possession stand point, it's somewhat true. But overall, Tebow's led offense does not have longer sustaining drives. Since I have nothing much to do today, I went back and compiled all their offensive drives so far this season. I excluded all end of the half/game drives that were just kneel downs.

Orton led drives this year averaged 5.6 plays and 31.4 yards. With Tebow it has been 4.9 plays and 25.3 yards.

Under Orton, they averaged 4.2 drives a game of 3 plays or less, and 38% of their overall drives were 3 plays or less. With Tebow it has been 5.4 and just under 41%. The NFL average is usually around 4 and 35%.

The Broncos do punt a ton as well. Under Orton, they punted 4.4 times a game. Since then it's been 7.3 times a game which is crazy high. Certainly part of the reason for the difference is that Orton's offense turned the ball over a lot more. Tebow has done a great job not doing that.

I'm not trying to be a hater. I actually like Tebow and think he's a good football player. I just don't think he's a good QB. Yes, they eat up the clock more but that has to do with the fact that they run so much so the clock runs more often when they are on offense. No matter if you run or pass a lot, a 3 and out is still a 3 and out. The defense gets the same amount of rest no matter how much or little time ran off the clock in those 3 plays. BTW, the Jets game was crazy. The Broncos had 12 drives in the game, and 8 of them resulted in 3 plays or fewer.

Someone tweeted Glen Mason that they were blaming him for Barber's choking.

You saw that too? Did you see his response? Some people simply amaze me. lol

I blame Glen Mason or Obama for most of my problems

Top Bottom