Brohm Plan for two Season 2021

Interesting read. Good first attempt at how a two season 2021 might look/work.

I'd say it has a shot. IMO, a Spring Divsion only/6 game schedule would have a better chance of flying. Top 2 in each division advance to a play-off, winner goes to the Rose Bowl if the Pac12 is game.

That may allow for an extra game in the Fall of 2021.

I'd say it has a shot. IMO, a Spring Divsion only/6 game schedule would have a better chance of flying. Top 2 in each division advance to a play-off, winner goes to the Rose Bowl if the Pac12 is game.

That may allow for an extra game in the Fall of 2021.
Yup. Spring football won’t happen due to Covid IMO

but 6 game division schedule in spring followed by 10 game conference schedule in fall is most likely two season option IMO

Yup. Spring football won’t happen due to Covid IMO

but 6 game division schedule in spring followed by 10 game conference schedule in fall is most likely two season option IMO
So if we want to fill the trophy case I should root for Michigan to win the east in that scenario, right (assuming, of course, that by winning against Iowa and Wisconsin we would've basically clinched the division)? :p

If someone were to get injured in the spring season and is ruled out also for fall due to the nature of the injury. Do you lose two seasons or just one as to eligibility?

If someone were to get injured in the spring season and is ruled out also for fall due to the nature of the injury. Do you lose two seasons or just one as to eligibility?
The NCAA wheel of random decisions just over-heated and burst into flames contemplating that.

227gx1.jpg

Something is needed to give these guys something to point to and train for....especially the seniors.
I think the sooner they set it up the better. If for some reason we go backwards rather than forward in the battle vs Covid...then they can cancel it after Christmas. But put it in place now!

Good job by Brohm to take leadership of it.

Something is needed to give these guys something to point to and train for....especially the seniors.
I think the sooner they set it up the better. If for some reason we go backwards rather than forward in the battle vs Covid...then they can cancel it after Christmas. But put it in place now!

Good job by Brohm to take leadership of it.
Talking to guys around the country, many just want the honest truth that if they aren’t playing, they want to move on with their lives. Prolonging it for hope is a dangerous move

Outside of Brohm I didn’t sense any optimism or desire to make it happen, while watching interviews of the various ADs, pundits, coaches. February isn’t that far away. This seems like a five stages of grief data point. I can’t think of a realistic scenario that would change the outlook of the Presidents in that timeframe based on the murky reasons for the fall cancellation given on Tuesday (by Warren). They won’t be able to guarantee the safety of the players.

There are two components to eligibility: you get a five calendar year clock, that starts ticking down the moment you enroll (meaning spring semester if you enroll early), to participate in four seasons.

In a regular season with 12 games, you count a participated season if you play at least one snap in 5 or more games, including any post-season games.

Not sure how they’ll count the spring 2021 season, if it happens.

For your scenario, if the player hadn’t used their redshirt yet, then they’d probably just redshirt the fall 2021 season. If they had used it already, then they could apply for a medical hardship waiver that extends the clock to six years.

I have no idea what the point of playing a spring season is, and is just wishful thinking. If you're starting the season at the end of February, you're in camp by mid January. If you think the B1G presidents that made the decision to cancel football in the fall, are going to be OK with starting in the middle of cold/flu season while Covid is still going on, you are crazy. The risks to players are less now in the late summer/fall than they will be in the middle of the winter flu season.

Besides, whether or not the rest of conferences make 2020 work, they'll be gearing up for 2021. So are you going to put yourself at a competitive disadvantage by playing less games in 2021 than the other conferences? Add in injury concerns, over stressing players, eligibility issues, etc. and spring football is a non-starter. They released a fall football schedule and less than a week later cancelled the season; I'm pretty sure you can't take what they say at face value. By saying they may play in the spring, they are merely trying to lessen the blowback to their current decision and try to avoid additional transfers of quality players to other conferences.

I have no idea what the point of playing a spring season is, and is just wishful thinking. If you're starting the season at the end of February, you're in camp by mid January. If you think the B1G presidents that made the decision to cancel football in the fall, are going to be OK with starting in the middle of cold/flu season while Covid is still going on, you are crazy. The risks to players are less now in the late summer/fall than they will be in the middle of the winter flu season.

Besides, whether or not the rest of conferences make 2020 work, they'll be gearing up for 2021. So are you going to put yourself at a competitive disadvantage by playing less games in 2021 than the other conferences? Add in injury concerns, over stressing players, eligibility issues, etc. and spring football is a non-starter. They released a fall football schedule and less than a week later cancelled the season; I'm pretty sure you can't take what they say at face value. By saying they may play in the spring, they are merely trying to lessen the blowback to their current decision and try to avoid additional transfers of quality players to other conferences.
Correct answer to this: maybe.

You’re not a fortune teller. Let’s just wait and see how it goes.

Correct answer to this: maybe.

You’re not a fortune teller. Let’s just wait and see how it goes.
Even if by some magic, Covid is either mostly gone by February, or the "magic vaccine" exists, and has been distributed to all affected parties (players, coaches, staff, referees, game-day staff, etc.), I don't see spring football happening. There have already been multiple B1G coaches expressing concern with injuries due to compressing two football seasons in one year with only +/- 3 months between them. If you don't have them on board, it ain't happening (especially considering they are mostly in agreement with playing this fall).

Add in the likeliness of the high-caliber players sitting out for the draft or in fear of getting injured too closely to the NFL season, and rosters could be devoid of star players. Not to mention the logistical problem with playing in Feb/March in cold weather climates. Even if you ignore the Covid stuff, it just seems like there are way too many issues with pulling this off. And what is the payoff? A potential extra "exhibition game" between the winner of the B1G and the PAC12? If there is no payoff of bowl games, CFP, etc. are players willing to give up a year of eligibility to play 6-10 games? If you're a guy like Coney Durr, St. Juste, and you're a senior hoping to make an impression before the draft, that may seem palatable. But I would think everybody that has a redshirt available would be using it to hold out until a full fall season.

Even if by some magic, Covid is either mostly gone by February, or the "magic vaccine" exists, and has been distributed to all affected parties (players, coaches, staff, referees, game-day staff, etc.), I don't see spring football happening. There have already been multiple B1G coaches expressing concern with injuries due to compressing two football seasons in one year with only +/- 3 months between them. If you don't have them on board, it ain't happening (especially considering they are mostly in agreement with playing this fall).

Add in the likeliness of the high-caliber players sitting out for the draft or in fear of getting injured too closely to the NFL season, and rosters could be devoid of star players. Not to mention the logistical problem with playing in Feb/March in cold weather climates. Even if you ignore the Covid stuff, it just seems like there are way too many issues with pulling this off. And what is the payoff? A potential extra "exhibition game" between the winner of the B1G and the PAC12? If there is no payoff of bowl games, CFP, etc. are players willing to give up a year of eligibility to play 6-10 games? If you're a guy like Coney Durr, St. Juste, and you're a senior hoping to make an impression before the draft, that may seem palatable. But I would think everybody that has a redshirt available would be using it to hold out until a full fall season.
Maybe.

All your concerns and questions/challenges are perfectly valid, in my opinion. They’d have to be addressed. I think they can. Let’s see.

The weather part is easy: Play double headers in Minneapolis, Detroit and Indy each Saturday with one hosting a Friday Night game.

And if most of the 1st round caliber guys opt out, I think that lessons the injury concerns. I do think 6 games is about the max you can do. Just play the 6 divisional games, the Championship game and a Spring Rose Bowl with the Pac12.

^^ that‘s the simplest and recaptures a good chuck of the lost (TV) value. “Keep it simple stupid”

It's as if you didn't read his plan...

The weather part is easy: Play double headers in Minneapolis, Detroit and Indy each Saturday with one hosting a Friday Night game.

And if most of the 1st round caliber guys opt out, I think that lessons the injury concerns. I do think 6 games is about the max you can do. Just play the 6 divisional games, the Championship game and a Spring Rose Bowl with the Pac12.
There's seven teams per division so they'd either have to do one crossover game each or each team gets one bye week. But either way, I think some version of this is the best option.

There's seven teams per division so they'd either have to do one crossover game each or each team gets one bye week. But either way, I think some version of this is the best option.
True. I think the 6 game schedule makes sense and keeps it to 23 games max in a calendar year (18-19 for most teams).

Revised schedule: The designated "Prime Bubble" for the week has games Friday night and Saturday at 3:30. The other two play Noon and 7 PM double-headers on Saturday.

So then you’d have one crossover game each of the six weeks, and 12 of 14 teams would have 5/1 while the other two are 6 divisional. I mean, I don’t have a problem with it. You say all Big Ten games count towards the division standings, and it is what it is.

So then you’d have one crossover game each of the six weeks, and 12 of 14 teams would have 5/1 while the other two are 6 divisional. I mean, I don’t have a problem with it. You say all Big Ten games count towards the division standings, and it is what it is.
Or just play the 6 divisional opponents over a 7 week period. One team in each division has a bye each week.

If you’re gonna do a 7 week season, I think coaches and players would vote to play all 7, and then have everyone at 6/1.

Top Bottom