Brilliance from Lou Holtz

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Stanford lost its first game of the season when it fell 27-21 at Utah on Saturday, leaving many of its fans crushed. The Cardinal were ranked as high as No. 2 by some people, and they were considered a national championship contender. They can pretty much throw away those hopes after the loss.

Despite the disappointing defeat, the Cardinal can take solace in knowing they have an apologist in Lou Holtz. The old man had the Cardinal’s back during ESPN’s “College Football Final” on Saturday night, offering up the excuse that the team looked too distracted/worn out because of a busy week of midterms.

“There’s no doubt that Stanford did not play well. But I know coming from an academic institution, this is a time for midterm exams,” Holtz explained. “Players are not focused, they don’t get to practice on time, they’re worn out, they’re tired, they don’t get much sleep, and you do not play very well. And that is exactly what it looked like to me with Stanford. I don’t know that for a fact, but that looked like a football team that was in midterms.”

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out point, Mr. Holtz.

Overruled.

It might be midterm time at a school like Notre Dame that’s on the semester system, but Stanford, Mr. Holtz, is on the quarter system. That means it’s only week 2 of 10 in the fall quarter on the academic calendar. Midterms typically aren’t for another three weeks, Holtz. But nice argument. I like where your head’s at.

And as a bonus, Utah did have midterms this week. What’s your explanation there, Holtz?

Source

Just another reason to despise Lou Hoax. Man do I hate that guy.

We must not forget, the only schools where athletes have to study and have difficult classes, mid-terms, and finals are Notre Dame, Duke, Stanford, Northwestern, etc. (tongue in cheek). That's the nonsense that far too often gets spewed to the public by pea-brains like Holtz and others in the media.

Let's be real. A youth studies major is easy anywhere you go.

I always have the TV on mute when they go back to the studio and have Rece Davis, Lou and Mark May on. Why? Because they're unwatchable. Rece mugs for the camera, Lou is a babbling fool and Mark is a know-it-all. They basically add little or nothing worth discussing imo.

we do quarters and just had our first final. so there's that

No mention that Stanford changed there offense. It used to be ground and pound, mismatches at the receiving position ie, tight ends playing in the slot. This year they went to a balanced attack, throwing the ball. They have a couple wide receivers, but not enough to make up for the running game. Mid terms, studying, tests had nothing to do with it. The chose to abandon what worked and went with something just a little too cute.

I would struggle to explain that result too. Stanford looked unbelievable in the first 3 conference games and I still like them to knock off Oregon at home. you can't just say "upsets happen" segment over.

ran into former gopher player Ullanger(?) DL that played when Lou Holtz was coach when I was up at the lake in Ottertail a couple of weeks ago. Said he played with Foggie & Darryl Thompson. He said the players couldn't stand Lou. His word. He then after graduation was at an interview in South Bend for grad assistant job I believe with Palermo and saw Holtz walk by out of the corner of his eye and said his stomach knotted up. He declined the job.......who knows if any of this is true but I found it interesting.

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out point, Mr. Holtz.

Overruled.

I can't be the only one that caught this reference?

Did Holtz follow up with any details regarding the "two youths/utes"? Gotta love Fred Gwynne.

I don't hate him and the guy can flat-out coach, but Holtz' Ojibwe name is Walking Eagle: so full of sh*t he can't fly.

Top Bottom