Brian Smith Growing into Role

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

The Gophers offense has shown their talent and depth as new playmakers make an impact every week. Against Penn State, it was receiver Brian Smith’s turn.

Smith came into Happy Valley with six catches for 84 yards over three games. He more than doubled his season total in receptions against Penn State with a career day.

The junior led Minnesota with seven catches for 101 yards, all career highs for the receiver. Smith had a knack for finding the first down marker. Of his seven receptions, four of them went for 10 yards or longer and a first down.

“It was really fun. It kind or reminded me of high school where I could get a feel for the game and just do my thing out there,” Smith said. “It was also fun after the game to see the support system that I have back home and with the friends I have made here. That was one of the best things about it to me.”

Smith talked about how many people complimented him after the game for the patience he has showed in his career.

“They credited my hard work and how I kind of waited for my opportunity to come,” he explained. “Now that it is here it is just real big for me to take advantage of my opportunity and I think I have been doing a good job of that so far. I just have to keep it up the rest of the season.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100516aaf.html

Go Gophers!!

He certainly came out of nowhere against Penn State, hopefully it was a sign of things to come. Has been nice to see the passing game at least look competent through the first 4 games. We don't really seem to have the game breakers in the passing game but at least we look like teams may actually have to respect the passing game some this year which in turn should open things up more for Smith and Brooks.

For a couple years I've been hoping for him to see the field as he has always impressed me in practice with his size, routes, and hands. So happy for him to be making the best of this opportunity. It will be interesting to see how the snaps are spread around when Still comes back. Worlitarsky, smith, t. Johnson have all been playing well.

He certainly came out of nowhere against Penn State, hopefully it was a sign of things to come. Has been nice to see the passing game at least look competent through the first 4 games. We don't really seem to have the game breakers in the passing game but at least we look like teams may actually have to respect the passing game some this year which in turn should open things up more for Smith and Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've nobody to stretch the field other than Still. Gentry was a candidate, but he is now a mystery man? Register maybe the next guy up. Holland is another possession type receiver. I thought Eric Carter would get more looks, but he just back to full strength after a high ankle sprain. Would love it if we could sign a true afterburner in this next class.

Top Bottom