Brian Murphy: Richard Pitino pumping brakes on Gophers hype

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Brian:

Richard Pitino’s commute took more than 90 minutes Tuesday morning as the Gophers men’s basketball coach pumped his brakes to manage the snow and slop that pounded his path to the University of Minnesota.

The same could be said for how Pitino is navigating his program’s rapid transformation from campus black sheep and Big Ten basement diggers to the Twin Cities’ feel-good sports story of the winter, a share of the conference lead and a No. 24 ranking.

“We have not arrived,” said Pitino, practically squealing to a stop. “We’ve got a long, long way to go.”

The chief of the “fun police” acknowledged trying to tamp down hype that is growing since the Gophers vanquished three straight conference foes after dropping an overtime heart-breaker to Michigan State in the Big Ten opener.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/10/murphy-richard-pitino-pumping-brakes-on-gophers-hype/

Go Gophers!!

The next couple will tell a lot about the team. 2-0 and the biggest dreams are close to reality. A full week of hype leading up to the Wisconsin game will bring the fans to a fever pitch. 1-1 and we're pretty much on track, 0-2 it's not over but the hype will be very diminished before a week off to regroup.

Starts tonight - take care of business at the Breslin. Show you've grown from the first conference game and can beat these guys on their home floor.

The next couple will tell a lot about the team. 2-0 and the biggest dreams are close to reality. A full week of hype leading up to the Wisconsin game will bring the fans to a fever pitch. 1-1 and we're pretty much on track, 0-2 it's not over but the hype will be very diminished before a week off to regroup.

Starts tonight - take care of business at the Breslin. Show you've grown from the first conference game and can beat these guys on their home floor.

As much as we are all enjoying things a few hard fought loses would not necessarily be a bad thing for this team in order to keep expectations from going through the roof. There is a lot to like about this team but they are still very young and there are going to be some bumps along the way. As long as they can keep winning enough to lock up a spot in the dance that would be good enough for me this year.

As much as we are all enjoying things a few hard fought loses would not necessarily be a bad thing for this team in order to keep expectations from going through the roof. There is a lot to like about this team but they are still very young and there are going to be some bumps along the way. As long as they can keep winning enough to lock up a spot in the dance that would be good enough for me this year.

I completely disagree. Never quite got the notion that you learn from losing. Besides, there was enough losing last year to learn from. If you want to be at an elite level year in and year out, you have to learn to win when you're the hunted. Expectations should be high and then you work like hell day in and day out to reach them.

I completely disagree. Never quite got the notion that you learn from losing. Besides, there was enough losing last year to learn from. If you want to be at an elite level year in and year out, you have to learn to win when you're the hunted. Expectations should be high and then you work like hell day in and day out to reach them.

Me to, I hope they come out with a big cup of hot Coffey put the Hurt on Sparty...

Losing never helped anyone! Win baby win!!!!

Yeah, this team lost ALOT of games last year. But a lot of those losses were close games. They just didn't know how to win.

Apparently this team does know how to win. The members of the team that were here last year, have a year more of experience, and now they have help from new players who are contributing significantly, first among them being a hot shot freshman.

Yes, this team is still young, in comparison to some other teams, but teams full of young players are often the teams who improve the most as the season progresses. If this team continues to improve? WOW. And enough of the team remembers how much it sucks to lose, but now they are gaining confidence from winning.

Another thing to consider, the strength of the conference in general, is not what it has been in the past. The Gophers, in the next few games, could position themselves as not only a contender, but the leading contender to win the Conference Regular Season title. I am not trying to build up any hype, I'm just acknowledging the possibility that with a weak B1G conf, this year's version of the Gophers could win the Conf Title. They would lose their next 5 games, too, lol, but I don't think that is what is going to happen.

Richard Pitino’s commute took more than 90 minutes Tuesday morning as the Gophers men’s basketball coach pumped his brakes to manage the snow and slop that pounded his path to the University of Minnesota
His car doesn't have anti-lock brakes? :confused: Just push it to the floor and let the computer do the work, Rich.

Top Bottom