Brian Kelly's comments on being on the hotseat

Reaction score
I was watching ESPN this morning and they showed a clip of him discussing the Notre Dame situation and what it means to be on the hot seat. He said that he didn't want to be one of those guys because that REALLY hurts recruiting. We've already seen Brewster's uncertainty hurt the recruiting class with Kip Smith heading to UCLA.

Comments like that make me think that Maturi MUST make a decision one way or the other this offseason. There is no way that he can let this thing linger through next year or it'll be even harder to recruit good players.

Comments like that make me think that Maturi MUST make a decision one way or the other this offseason. There is no way that he can let this thing linger through next year or it'll be even harder to recruit good players.

He has to do it NOW, not in the offseason, with at least saying he'll be back in 2010.

If we can sign him through 2011, but have a low buy-out option for 2011, that would be ideal. Give him five to six years, then evaluate his performance.

my e-mail to Maturi

I just sent an e-mail to Muturi basically saying the same thing. It's time to stop all these speculations for the sake of recruiting.

Perspective is key here though. I mean what coach isn't going to say that if I don't have a contract for 5 years from now it will hurt recruiting. If there was actually data or people such as various athletic directors across the country saying it or better yet actual players saying I would have signed here but the coach only had two years left on his contract so I didn't but that doesn't happen.

The coach is always going to say it hurts recruiting because if that is true then they have to sign him to an extension with a buyout and usually a bigger one so for him it is all about making a living and getting the most money he can. Where as an athletic director will in most cases say the opposite so that he doesn't have to pony up the money. So unless there are players or recruits saying this it is pretty much irrelevent.

Oh and by the way I am pro Brewster and would love to see what he can do with his players over the next two years but I don't want to have to pony up more money until we know he can do better than 7 wins in a season but I want to see him grow for 2 more years. So I would love to wait until sometime at or near the end of the 2011 season before we extend him unless he goes 8-4 or better next year, because I think our schedule is even more difficutl then.

I repeat:

1) Publicly, Maturi has to come out strong for Brewster.
2) Privately, Maturi needs to put Brewster's balls in a vice and tell him his manhood is at stake in 2010. I sense Maturi is not strong at setting clear expectations for his coaches. This needs to stop.

Maturi is in a tough spot. Brew probably won't show results worthy of an extension until 2011, the last year of his contract. I think even Maturi (who doesn't believe in the whole coach has to have a big contract to recruit thing) would agree that Brew can't go into his last year without a contract and be expected to recruit. I don't know what he should do. Maybe we take the one year recruiting hit.

I don't think Kip Smith's decision had anything to do with perceptions surrounding Brewster's job status.

Top Bottom