Brewster

loki

Reaction score
I will start this off by stating that I am not a Brewster hater but so far I have not been impressed with his coaching. Folks, Ohio State is not that good. Penn State was also beatable last week. Both teams have good defenses but their offenses are avg. All we had to do to be competetive was for the offense to show up and both games would have been close but unfortunately our offense is undisciplined and mistake prone. In any case, to review, Brewster replaced Mason 3 years ago because Mason brought us from being a bad football team to a medicore football team but could not get us to a higher level and Maturi and some fans got restless. Brewster was brought in. Brewster's job was to bring us from a medicore football team to an above average team and maybe even a championship football team. So far he has not done it and in fact I feel like we have regressed in several ways, especially at QB. Lets compare Brewster to Mason in the key areas and also compare these two coaches to a championship level coach like Ferentz. The six areas are offense, defense, special teams, recruiting, special teams & Game day coaching.
In my humble opinion here is the grades I would give them.

Area Brew Mas Ferentz
Offense D- B+ C+
Defense C D+ A-
Spec Tm A- C- B+
Recruit B+ C- B
Play Dev D B+ A-
Coaching D C B
Avg Grade C C B

Conclusions, Brewster's biggest weaknesses are in the areas of offense, player development (which I have seen little evidence of) and game day coaching which is below avg. His strength is recruiting and his special teams have been pretty good this year. To me Brewster's teams so far are known for being undisciplined and penalty prone. Mason had good offenses that emphasized the run and he could develop players, especially offensive lineman. His weaknesss was defense. Ferentz appears to me to be good in everything. In any case, so far Mason and Brewster are a wash in regards to grades but I personally would probably rather have Mason at this point because he coached smash mouth football compared to this pathetic offense that Brewster has installed. In the end, I believe we have to give Brewster two more years so that we can see how his own players will do but so far I am not impressed except for recruiting and obviously we have a long way to go. What grades would you give Brewster? Do you agree that Maturi still needs to give him time? Are we close to being good or are we far away? Finally, the most important question is that is Brewster going to lead us to the promised land or is it going to be someone else and if so how do we get the complete package....a coach who can do it all?

Top Bottom