Brewster to make in-home visit to Seantrel this evening

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter Now:

Shooter Now: Gophers' Tim Brewster to meet with No. 1 prep Seantrel Henderson
By Charley Walters
Updated: 12/01/2009 11:16:40 AM CST

University of Minnesota Gophers football coach Tim Brewster will make a Minneapolis home recruiting visit to Cretin-Derham Hall star Seantrel Henderson this evening.

Henderson's father, Sean, said coach Charlie Weis' firing at Notre Dame "doesn't change anything as of this moment" regarding the Irish's recruitment of the 6-foot-8, 335-pound offensive lineman. Henderson, rated the nation's No. 1 football recruit, made a recruiting visit to Notre Dame two weeks ago.

"They are still among the top schools" under consideration, Sean Henderson said.

Henderson visits Southern California this weekend and therefore won't be able to attend the Minnesota Mr. Football banquet Sunday afternoon at the Doubletree Hotel in St. Louis Park. He is among 10 finalists for the award.

Ohio State coach Jim Tressel and his brother-assistant Dick Tressel will make a home recruiting visit to Henderson on Wednesday. Oklahoma's Bob Stoops also plans a home visit soon.

After USC, Henderson still has visits to Oklahoma and Florida planned. His father said there still are no favorites and that Minnesota remains in the hunt, which includes Minnesota and Iowa. He doesn't plan an announcement until Feb. 3.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_13900323

Go Gophers!!

Maybe the two of them can watch the hit classic...

41774-large.jpg

Go get him Timmy!

I don't know if Minnesota has a chance, but I can't see him going to ND any more. They are going to be a rebuilding program. I heard Lou Holtz on Colin Cowheard this morning and in addition to Claussen and Tate probably going pro they have a lot of other players graduating. There 2nd string QB was injured and won't be ready to go in the spring, so they may be going with the current 3rd stringer. Holtz admitted they are going to be bad next year, which means they are going to be really bad since he is such a homer. Next year is going to suck for Michael Floyd.

My guess is Henderson goes to USC with Florida/Okahoma close and Minnesota in the mix just because we are the hometown school.

Hey did anyone else see the post right before Madtown suggesting that we basically bribe Seantrel and his family? Something about offering his dad a job at the U? Well, it's not there anymore, but I didn't know you could delete posts.

the bottom line is

He could graciously say he thinks Minnesota is on the rise but he would like to leave home, thanks for the offer and good luck.

more

hit the enter too soon. Anyway there is no benefit for him to not count us out right now. I think we are as possible as any school mentioned if not on the top right now. There is tremendous upside to playing here for the local kids.

I don't know, it just seems to me after watching USC this year and what just happened at ND that there are no guarantees and there is no way to minimize risk. This isn't 1990 when glory could only be found at certain schools. It's 2009, you can get to the NFL from any major conference, you can establish yourself at any big conference. I think you have to elevate such things as the value of local celebrity, and the future earnings power that can give you. As an offensive lineman, he'll be invisible to most of the public where ever he goes except in Minnesota. This is the only place he'll gain so much off field good will equity. Personally, unless he's intent of getting out of town, it's a no brainer to stay. If he was in a skill position he could build a name anywhere, but the reality is that except for the most diehard fans the offensive linemen will be forgotten within a couple of years, except when they show up in somebody's pro list on internet chat rooms like this. Here, he will be celebrated for the rest of his life if he gives us his college years.

I hope he chooses Minnesota. At some point, an elite player has to stay and state that their goal is to get Minnesota a Big Ten Championship. Someone has to stop the trend. I hope it is Henderson.

For once, it would be nice to see a local player turn down USC, ND. OSU etc and play for the Gophers. They get enough players.

I hope he chooses Minnesota. At some point, an elite player has to stay and state that their goal is to get Minnesota a Big Ten Championship. Someone has to stop the trend. I hope it is Henderson.

For once, it would be nice to see a local player turn down USC, ND. OSU etc and play for the Gophers. They get enough players.

Whoever you are, don't give the laptop back to the badger.

If he wants to play as a freshman, he might want to come to the U. I was talking to a friend who's a Gator and he scoffed at the idea of any true freshman OL, even Henderson, starting as a freshman and thinks Urban Myere would think the same way.

wtf! you are getting soft. As suggested, either someone has hacked your account or you are finally starting to let your current home state infect you.

wtf! you are getting soft. As suggested, either someone has hacked your account or you are finally starting to let your current home state infect you.

My current home state is my home state. Grew up a huge Gophers fan. If I was good enough to be recruited, I would have loved to play for the Gophers. I just don't understand the attitude of the elite players in this area that they have to leave town. I am talking about guys that are recruited by the heavyweights of college football. Someone has to stand up and say no more. I find it unbelieveable that none of them want to stay and play at home in front of family and friends. With the new stadium, there should be no more excuses.

I love all the Minnesota kids that go to Wisconsin, but at some point, because UW is clearly not in the race, it would be nice for a Minneapolis kid to say "screw all those offers", I am playing for the U.

That being said, the expectations for the kid if he goes to Minnesota are going to be extremely unrealistic. The Badgers have put a ton of lineman in the NFL and very few have started as true freshman. One did this year because of injury, but it is a huge adjustment. Joe Thomas did not even start as a true freshman and he was the third overall pick in the draft.

Throwing a quick prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Brew is doing well right now....

If he wants to play as a freshman, he might want to come to the U. I was talking to a friend who's a Gator and he scoffed at the idea of any true freshman OL, even Henderson, starting as a freshman and thinks Urban Myere would think the same way.

Really, he must not be that big of a gator fan then, cuz they have one starting as a true freshman right now named xavier nixon, and he is doing just fine

My current home state is my home state. Grew up a huge Gophers fan. If I was good enough to be recruited, I would have loved to play for the Gophers. I just don't understand the attitude of the elite players in this area that they have to leave town. I am talking about guys that are recruited by the heavyweights of college football. Someone has to stand up and say no more. I find it unbelieveable that none of them want to stay and play at home in front of family and friends. With the new stadium, there should be no more excuses.

I love all the Minnesota kids that go to Wisconsin, but at some point, because UW is clearly not in the race, it would be nice for a Minneapolis kid to say "screw all those offers", I am playing for the U.

That being said, the expectations for the kid if he goes to Minnesota are going to be extremely unrealistic. The Badgers have put a ton of lineman in the NFL and very few have started as true freshman. One did this year because of injury, but it is a huge adjustment. Joe Thomas did not even start as a true freshman and he was the third overall pick in the draft.

This isn't just any old HS O-lineman. Have you seen him play?? This kid has got it all. With a good camp under his belt and some summer training he could start and stand out freshman year. At the U

Throwing a quick prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that Brew is doing well right now....

Between your quote and your avatar, I know you're a poser!

;)

(Don't worry, you don't hold a candle to the Dawkins avatar guy...)

Godspeed, Coach Brewster. This could be a big night in the history of the program. This kid could make a night and day difference were he to come to the University of Minnesota. I'm hoping and praying....

This isn't just any old HS O-lineman. Have you seen him play?? This kid has got it all. With a good camp under his belt and some summer training he could start and stand out freshman year. At the U

Admittedly, he has much less compettition to start as a true freshman at Minnesota then he would at Wisconsin or other schools, but it is still not a slam dunk. Thomas was a once in a generation lineman and he did not start as a true freshman.

I suppose Henderson may wind up being a lot better then Thomas. He could go first or second in the first round of the draft instead of third and win two Outland trophies.

Admittedly, he has much less compettition to start as a true freshman at Minnesota then he would at Wisconsin or other schools, but it is still not a slam dunk. Thomas was a once in a generation lineman and he did not start as a true freshman.

I suppose Henderson may wind up being a lot better then Thomas. He could go first or second in the first round of the draft instead of third and win two Outland trophies.

Yes, "once in a generation." That is true, if by "generation," you mean "year." Psst: They award an Outland Trophy every year. Offensive tackles get drafted very highly quite often. Neither one makes Thomas special. For evidence of either, see: Gallery, Robert; Eslinger, Greg; Long, Rien; etc.

I will agree that Thomas is a stud, and he somehow managed to live the entirety of his formative years in Wisconsin without digging up any dead girls and/or fornicating with any deer carcasses (at least, that I know of). But let's not pretend like he's some deity. Henderson could very well be as good or better than Thomas, and you know it.

The fact is that Henderson is the highest-rated, most sought-after football prospect in the history of Minnesota. The hype may in fact may be unwarranted, but let's not declare it so before the kid has even played in an intercollegiate athletic contest.

We don't see much of Joe Thomas since Cleveland is not on TV a whole lot here but he manhandled Jared Allen in the game we played. I do not recall Allen even sniffing the QB. I remember a couple of plays where it looked like Allen quit. The two of them were just standing there locked up, no movement whatsoever.

Top Bottom