Brewster on Hageman

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
Scout defensive player: Ra'Shede Hageman.

Brewster talked a bit about Hageman, and the decision to move him to defensive end. I think it speaks to a philosophy on the part of Brewster and his staff that is a good one. Here's what Brewster had to say:

"He's a tremendous athlete. As I've said from day one, for us to play great defense, we've got to recruit tremendous athletes and put them on the defensive side of the ball. We can't take our best athletes and put them on offense. We've got to recruit great athletes and put them on defense, and that's exactly what Ra'Shede is. He's a tremendous athlete who's upside is huge. Tim Cross is doing a great job coaching him and he's taken to it extremely well.

I just think that his future is extremely bright on the defensive of the ball. That's not to say we can't use him some on offensive as well. He may be a defensive end for us and be a red zone target, be a guy that blocks for us in short yardage goal line situations. He's a very gifted young player. "

I like that. Put the best athletes on D. Imagine players like Tapeh at LB, MB3 at SS, Spaeth at DT/DE, Esslinger at DT, etc. Oh well.

Good philosophy. The fact that Hageman is listed at 270+ and probably bigger makes him a seemingly more natural fit for the d-line anyway.

Not sure about MB3 at SS though. Sounds....awful.

MB3 at safety is not a stretch; he was actually recruited to the U as a d-back, even though he played both RB and DB in high school.

Defense wins championships. I like it a lot.

MB3 at safety is not a stretch; he was actually recruited to the U as a d-back, even though he played both RB and DB in high school.
I'm sure he could have pulled it off, but why change a good thing? Plus, I agree that DE is more important than TE, I don't feel the same way about SS vis-a-vis RB.

I hope people realize how risky this is. These moves delay the on field contributions of our top talent. They in essence reduce our capabilities today to increase it tomorrow.

Risky? Brewster has a finite timeline for success. He is risking his career by doing the right thing for the players, the program and the university. Kudos to him. Many coaches would not stick their necks out so far.

But it is frustrating, waiting so long to see our most anticipated recruits.

Scout defensive player: Ra'Shede Hageman.

Brewster talked a bit about Hageman, and the decision to move him to defensive end. I think it speaks to a philosophy on the part of Brewster and his staff that is a good one. Here's what Brewster had to say:

"He's a tremendous athlete. As I've said from day one, for us to play great defense, we've got to recruit tremendous athletes and put them on the defensive side of the ball. We can't take our best athletes and put them on offense. We've got to recruit great athletes and put them on defense, and that's exactly what Ra'Shede is... "

When is the last time we had this is a coaching philosophy? When is the last time we were known for our defense? I like it a lot.

Has he played a snap yet, or is he going to be redshirted?

I am interested in this as well, I don't feel like I've noticed him out there, hopefully the staff preserved a year of eligibility for him

Rashede hasn't played yet so he's likely taking a RS. I've thought all along DE was his best spot (just based on size and athleticism as I didn't see much, if any film on him there) and I'm glad to see Brew taking that approach. Our frosh that are sitting out this year have a real chance to be good players. Garin, KGM and Rashede all have the size and speed combos to be very good players

Its all about the upside.

When I saw him play in high school I thought his strength as a player would be at DE. The reason is simple his upside is on defense. At TE he is a big strong kid who in the long run is a big blocking TE that will be a rotation guy. On defense he is big, athletic, and had the upside to be a very good player with a NFL future. As a TE his future in the NFL is pretty limited similar to Matt Spaeth who had a great spot with the Steelers he is not going to be a big time NFL TE just a really good second TE.

I love the fact that Brewster is taking the approach of building a solid program, instead of just doing what would be the best for the short term. Sure Hageman might add a sack or two, with his speed and athletism on third down situations this year. However, with us losing DE's to graduation, having Hageman grow as a starting DE for four years is something that gets me excited. Brewster is building a program, not trying to win short term. I love his approach and willingness to take risks, I just hope he is here long enough to see this thing through. I also hope we get to see how special this thing could be with a coaching staff in place for three or four year and the recruits he is bringing in. GO GOPHERS!!

Imagine MB3 at safety??? That would be awesome seeing him in the UFL...the guy is a pro bowl running back. Spaeth is going to have a 10 year career at TE in the NFL. Terrible examples IMO.

I love watching a defensive oriented team. Now we just need a defensive coordinator other than Cosgrove who knows how to maximize the talent he has available.

Real Message

I don't think Brewster really means what he literally said. I think he's trying to get the point across that not ALL the best players will play offense (like the Mason era). We won't take a guy like Gray and put him at DE (although I know he'd dominate that). It is great to hear passion for a great defense, though!

Also, I don't think this is a all Brewster/Cross decision. I think Ra'Shede is behind this more than anyone, and it's ultimately up to him. It wouldn't be a good sell to recruits if it was otherwise.

The more I learn about our program, the more first class it seems. We're doing a lot of things that are just right for everyone. It won't be long before we're winning the Big Ten Title, and that National Championship is just around the corner. Doesn't TCF have that feel of being consistently ranked in the top 10 and being under the lights on a lot of National TV Thursdays/Saturdays?

It just excites me!

For the first time, it seems like a possibility. Where's moses??

I recall watching Hageman's youtube videos and thinking he looked kind of slow to be a TE. Granted, his size and strength would be huge upsides (I'd love to see him plow over a CB or two). I just always thought he looked much better chasing down QB's.

But I agree that we should still get him reps at TE and use him in goal line situations if he proves in practice that he can be a legitimate pass catcher.

Putting best athletes on defense also leads to improved special teams and we are seeing that this year. This program needs stability and our Co-Defensive Coordinators bring that factor. I like the future with improved defense and special teams and patiences on offense with Fisch and Davis.

I hope he turns out to be a beast at DE. If he is already 275 as a freshman, that projects to at least 290-295 with four more years of weight training. Not a lot of 290 lb tight ends out there. This seems to be a good choice for his future and his NFL potential.

I hope he turns out to be a beast at DE. If he is already 275 as a freshman, that projects to at least 290-295 with four more years of weight training. Not a lot of 290 lb tight ends out there. This seems to be a good choice for his future and his NFL potential.
Remember Eric Green, the TE from Pitt/Baltimore in the 90s? That's the only guy I can think of that played TE at a high level at that size.

I recall watching Hageman's youtube videos and thinking he looked kind of slow to be a TE. Granted, his size and strength would be huge upsides (I'd love to see him plow over a CB or two). I just always thought he looked much better chasing down QB's.

But I agree that we should still get him reps at TE and use him in goal line situations if he proves in practice that he can be a legitimate pass catcher.

I'd love to see him at FB a la "the Fridge". However, I'd love to see him doing it 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014--at his 4th consecutive Jan. 1 Rose Bowl.

The hell with pass catching.

just the philosophy of building a defense with the best athletes on defense is something I haven't heard around here ever. I completely agree with this approach.

I agree with the concept as well.

But if all the best athletes are on defense, we better have nearly flawless offensive scheming going on.... I just dont see that yet.

Our offense is basically surviving on the fact that Decker is a beast of an athlete.

I'd love to see him at FB a la "the Fridge". However, I'd love to see him doing it 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014--at his 4th consecutive Jan. 1 Rose Bowl.

The hell with pass catching.

I LOVE your thinking!! Rose Bowls!!!! Not Toilet Bowl games!!!

snapperstein said, "Murray Warmath always put his best players on defense."

Well, that's because they had limited substitution in those days. But he did take a high school qb and turn him into a tackle (Bell).

Both way playing ended long before Warmath retired. He recruited alot of FB's and QB's and spread them around.

Top Bottom