Brewster has two more years left!

gophermanic

Banned
Reaction score
With a new stadium and higher expectations, if he is not in a Jan. 1 bowl in 2010-2011 he should be fired. Please Maturi do not give this clown an extension. He could have 22 5th-year senior starters, that were all 5-star recruits and still find a way to blow it.

Sheesh, ManicGopher. Happy New Year. Relax.

So your two biggest reasons to fire Brewster if he is not in a New Year's Bowl game in 2 years is because we are playing in a new stadium and we have higher expectations???

This is pretty laughable, and neither are good reasons. You could put the Timberwolves in a new stadium and that still won't mean they will win any more games, and just because you have higher expectations doesn't necessarily mean we will win more games.

The Big Ten is a tough league and everyone is trying their hardest to get better. We are still lagging behind in the talent level and have a ways to go, but the most important thing is that we are closing the gap. Sure, we might have some talented first and second year players, but our upper classmen are well behind what most of the other schools have out there. The good news is that we will not lose as much talent as the other schools.

Brewster will have to show he has the program on the rise and he is doing that with another solid recruiting class and improving a team that was 1-11 last year to 7-6. With our tough schedule coming up the next couple years, we could be a better team but still not be able to make it to a New Year's Bowl game. I think the jury is still out if Brewster is a good coach. This year I gave him a C+ but last year I gave him a D. I think he will look better as his players get better, and you have to give him 3 more years before you even think about firing him at this point.

Well considering we won 3 straight bowls under Mason and we fired him, Id like to think we had higher expectations. Brewster is just like Jim Wacker but with a worse offense. We beat 4 cupcakes in the non-conference and three awful B10 teams in a very down conference(see 0-3 bowl record and probably 1-6 when its finished).

Well, seeing as Glen Mason was here for 10 years and the best bowl game he ever got to was the Insight Bowl/Music City Bowl, I would argue that Brewster has already equalled that in 2 years.

You don't get anywhere changing your coaches every couple years because as we are painfully aware of, it takes quite a while changing schemes and assistants and new recruiting territories etc. To get to the next level, we have to have better incoming talent and so far you would have to say he is doing that. That talent now has a CHANCE to get us to the next level, but it also must be developed and coached, given the time.

I think right now with the recruits that are coming in we are finally at the point where Mason left and that took two years to do it. We have to be patient, but I think at this point Brewster is fully accountable for the program and where it stands. In the meantime, keep supporting the team and the program and hopefully he can get us to the next level as soon as possible.

Well considering we won 3 straight bowls under Mason and we fired him, Id like to think we had higher expectations. Brewster is just like Jim Wacker but with a worse offense. We beat 4 cupcakes in the non-conference and three awful B10 teams in a very down conference(see 0-3 bowl record and probably 1-6 when its finished).

I seem to remember the GREATEST BOWL COLLAPSE IN NCAA HISTORY as the straw that broke masons back...plus, Mason's good bowls after 8 seasons are Brew's first bowls.

If we are still playing in the Insight bowl in 2 years, i will grab a pitchfork and lead the charge...but from what I see, we are getting better and I am glad to wait a couple more years before passing judgement.

The reality is that we will need to give Brewster an extension in order for him to effectively recruit the class of 2009-10. Top kids just don't sign unless they know the coach (and key staff) are committed through their career. Yea, stuff happens and a kid could end up with different coaches. But it can't look like the coach may be gone during recruiting.

Brewster gets an A for effort and a C+ in performance from me. What I really like is his willingness to admit mistakes and make quick changes. He did not like our defense - in came Roof with a much better scheme. He did not like our offense line - in come a new coach with a new scheme. He wants more speed - he is out recruiting it. And he is learning to be a better game day coach.

I am still proud to support our coach!

What I don't get here is that people are calling for Brewster's head after 2 seasons.

1. I think it's been established that Mason was not a great recruiter, so the talent Brew was given was not great.

2. I think it's been established that Brewster is a much better recruiter than Mason was.

3. Brewster only has 1 full class of his on this team.

Give the man 4 years, and Brew will be putting Mason's accomplishments to shame. Like UST82Gopher said, what I like about Brewster is that he seems to be very proactive about his problems, and does not hesitate to make changes. Frankly, I like what I've seen so far from him, and think with another couple years of him recruiting better players we'll be a solid program.

This is crazy talk. The man has 1 and a fraction years of recruiting and "Fans" are calling for his head? Jeesh! Maybe we should bring back Murray Warmath, he's not that much older than Joe Pa. All a game like tonight's shows is how far we have to go in terms of talent and depth. We've got another recruiting class coming in that seems it will be very good and could exceed what most of Mason's classes brought us. We've got a defensive Coordinator coming back for his second year and a new offensive line coach. Any one who expected us to finish higher than we did this year, please be careful. Those chemicals are still illegal.

Short-sighted take. If you long for the Mason years I feel sorry for you. Brewster needs to upgrade talent level before we will start winning. Any knowledgeable fan would look at the talent on this team and wonder how the hell we had a winning record.

Playing a spread with receivers like Kuznia and Simmons and Tow-Arnett is ridiculous. You want Mason back and the guy can't even get an interview for another job. Why? Fans like you with no patience are a big reason this program has failed. We should be redshirting most of our recruits, but fans like you want to judge a coach simply on wins and losses right away. Too bad really.

Great Point!

"Playing a spread with receivers like Kuznia and Simmons and Tow-Arnett is ridiculous."

These are great young people and student-athletes.

But if you're going to play a spread offense at the D-1 level you've got to put more speed than this on the field to be really successful.

Why do you think they have trouble getting separation from the opposing secondary?

Brewster & Co. know this and they're out trying to recruit it.

This is the most rediculous thread! gophermaniac, you should go out and by yourself something cuz you obviously didnt get anything for x-mas

MASON?????"

What the hell is wrong with you lunatics still bringing up Mason? Get professional help.

The reality is that we will need to give Brewster an extension in order for him to effectively recruit the class of 2009-10. Top kids just don't sign unless they know the coach (and key staff) are committed through their career. Yea, stuff happens and a kid could end up with different coaches. But it can't look like the coach may be gone during recruiting.

Brewster gets an A for effort and a C+ in performance from me. What I really like is his willingness to admit mistakes and make quick changes. He did not like our defense - in came Roof with a much better scheme. He did not like our offense line - in come a new coach with a new scheme. He wants more speed - he is out recruiting it. And he is learning to be a better game day coach.

I am still proud to support our coach!

I think atleast on paper that Brewster has done a great job recruiting but I am curious and not confident yet that he is capable of developing the talent and being a good game day coach, I would be curious what you see that makes you think he is improving in this area as you stated?

next. i love how some apply NFL logic to college sports. with masons name showing up so quickly, any one else bet this is really yet another we had it good under mason threads?

should there be big progress within the next two years. yeah. i guess if you want to hamper and hamstring future recruiting, it is probably ok to stonewall long term growth by ignoring the realities of college football. but that is ok, because i am sure the gophers can go out and sign a couple of free agents, plus rebuild the team with a couple of first and second round draft picks.

next.

Top Bottom