Brewster declining post-FG penalty (AF game)

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
For those of you who still think Brewster made the wrong call on that penalty, please take note of the last play of the first half of the Vikings game.

For those of you who still think Brewster made the wrong call on that penalty, please take note of the last play of the first half of the Vikings game.

hahaha, the same thing came to my mind, its weird what can happen when you are least expecting

Loadholt sucks.
TTUSA (aka as the King of Suck),

I'm curious whether you can release a complete list of all Gopher athletes and pro athletes in the Twin Cities that suck. That way we'd know in advance what threads to avoid.

Thanks!

that was a 50 yard field goal attempt, the gophers in their situation would of been able to force air force to use up all their time outs, then would of had a chip shot field goal. According you every time in the red zone we should just kick a field goal instead of throwing it, because of the possibility of a turnover. SCARED MONEY DOES NOT MAKE MONEY, plain and simple.

that was a 50 yard field goal attempt

Actually, it was a 44-yard FG. Also, blocked/missed kicks happen far, far more frequently in college FB than in the NFL. That means it would've been more likely to happen in a college game than in the NFL, which, like we just saw, can and does happen. 0-for-1.

the gophers in their situation would of been able to force air force to use up all their time outs, then would of had a chip shot field goal.

Yeah, and field goals are guaranteed points, right? Especially "chip shots" like a 25- to 30-yard field goal for, I must remind you, a walk-on college kicker. Just like the Minnesota punter should have no problem punting out of the end zone against Wisconsin, right? 0-for-2.

According you every time in the red zone we should just kick a field goal instead of throwing it, because of the possibility of a turnover.

You're very astute. Yes, clearly "taking points off the board to cut it back to a one-possession game with less than 5 minutes left in the game" = "every time in the red zone". Great job at deductive reasoning. 0-for-3.

SCARED MONEY DOES NOT MAKE MONEY, plain and simple

Yes, and coaches who make dumb moves based on absolutely no logic whatsoever get fired sooner than they otherwise would have. 0-for-4. Thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts for you backstage.

(I can't honestly believe somebody is still stupid enough to hold onto this logic after seeing today's game, but I stand corrected. The Vikings would have lost if not for a miracle play with :02 on the clock, thanks to a blocked FG to the house, and that could have very easily been the Gophers.)

that was a 50 yard field goal attempt, the gophers in their situation would of been able to force air force to use up all their time outs, then would of had a chip shot field goal. According you every time in the red zone we should just kick a field goal instead of throwing it, because of the possibility of a turnover. SCARED MONEY DOES NOT MAKE MONEY, plain and simple.

you are assuming that each snap and handoff will be clean, that the opposing team doesn't make a play on our ball carrier and force a fumble, if we pass that they don't pick it off, etc, etc. So no, kicking a FG every time we enter the red zone is clearly not the point.

I feel pretty good up 2 possessions on AF with 2 mns to play, take the points.

Do we really have to rehash this again? Brewster made the absolute correct decision. 110%. No doubt about it.

I'm not averse to beating dead horses.

It might have been the right decision, but it was less than 110% right. 75% right at the most. To say that it was absolutely the right decision is to say that there was no value to taking over 2 minutes off the clock.

Today's Vikings game, however proves nothing. We already knew that kicks could be blocked and taken in for a TD, that isn't new information. There are risks in taking the penalty, there is a possibility of a missed or blocked field goal attempt, but there are also benefits, such as taking 2+ minutes off the clock, or possibly getting a TD. Has anyone actually run the numbers on the two scenarios?

If Air Force had been able to use the time to come back and win the game, people would be calling for his head.

Top Bottom