Brewster and staff have only two hopes to salvage jobs

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
There are only two paths I see these coaches turning this losing season thing around and ultimately keeping there jobs. Changing two defensive starting positions, changing up the one each of the defensive tackles and linebackers. Give #2 help at Cb or make him a nickle safety and take one of the linebackers out. Make a change at QB, there needs to be a new leader in the room.
This team is divided they are not a team and you can see it, they do not play like a team, they do not take the field as a team and they do not act like a team on the field or on the sideline. This is in there body language and the way they project themselves on the field. Most will disagree with me and I even believe it is not his fault, Weber should not be the problem, but a change at QB is needed.
The QB position is at the heart of why this team is divided. There is something there and it is belief related. Weber he is neither the entire problem or the solution, just in such a key spot, you need someone the other guy's will rally around. At this point in time I believe that guy is ultimately Gray.

# 8 Weber is a capable player, even a captain but his play is just to inconsistent at QB to be a consistent winner. I'm not talking about practice, the teams record mirrors his records, he can make all kinds of plays when there is not pressure, when the lead is big or the team is losing down two scores or more, but when adversity set's in, wow, little things creep in, the ball sails, players get laid out after high throws, balls hit the turf at there feet. Play that should be made just start to stall out. Sometimes, when you have a special talent in the barn, a top thoroughbred that can run sometimes you just have to let him take the reigns, run and take a shot at something BIGGER. Part of this is the offensive line, either they do not give him enough time or they cannot drive anyone off the ball at times. This leads to stalled drives and inconsistent play.
At this point for the big picture of the team, this team and the coaches, Weber should move to WR and TE and Gray should be handed the keys at the QB spot.

If they do not find a player at DT that can hold the A gap at least, hold that position,be disruptive and take up blocks, maybe even get off the block from time to time, so the linebackers have time, just time to come up and fill, they need more time to make play's, otherwise those 50-60 yard runs will continue. That and when the linebackers fill they have to tackle, all of these missed tackles are as much about effort as they are physical ability. #68 look's like he is limping and has an issue with that hip like a pointer, he just does not look healthy or appear to have his wheels. Edwards he had explosion, and he is now getting moved out of his gap a lot, there is something wrong there. Same with Kirksey he just does not look healthy and is getting moved around a lot, look's to be another bum wheel. #94 is healthy I would plug him in he can help the Gophers compete at least and hang in there with his size. #2 Collado, that kid gives every once of talent he has and works hard at tackling and sticking his nose in. Unfortunately he was not blessed with good height as they are isolating big receivers on him a lot and making the gophers pay for it big time. If they cannot give him help, they have to find a bigger guy to play his spot, and make him a nickle safety to support the run as teams will continue to isolate on him at CB all season. That Carter kid sitting, that is not about talent, that is about attitude and effort, and being a good team-mate from practice to games on and off the field. He has all the ability in the world, very talented kid, someone that could be a leader in the future, but is not doing something right or the coaches would certainly be playing him.
Rallis and Cooper are undersized, they have good speed and the ability to clean up and tackle but they are getting swallowed up by blocks and supporting the defensive ends to much. The ends need to much support and it is leading to exposure once the line, the individual gaps are breached. This is not a linebacker corps that can get caught up in traffic they just do not have the strength and size to shed and overcome all of the blocks getting to the next level. Have to find a way to mix a bigger guy in at one of those DE spots that can hold there gap and keep blockers off the linebackers, as it is exposing the linebackers way to much. Coaches can only do so much, some of these guy's playing have to figure out how to win there one on one match-ups better or this is going to continue to be a really long season for the defense. Talent and ability is there, attitude, effort and commitment to tackling is not.

Rallis only played about 2 snaps and we VERY clearly missed him. He's not undersized at all. I agree with you on Weber (except it would be idiotic to move him to WR or TE). Brew's last chance is to change QBs just to change the energy in the program. I don't think he will.

Before kick off I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be cool if Gray came out as qb." Then I thought, nah, Brew would never do that. They do need to make some changes if we want to win any more games this year. It's not like the cupboard is bare, we have some guys, but like you said, we're not playing together. It's a team game.

FWIW, JohnnyGopher has told me two years in a row that the locker room is divided between guys that want Weber as the QB and guys that want Gray. He said it has caused some tension.

Go Gophers!!

On offense, the Gophers have no urgency, no eagerness, coming out of the huddle. I've wondered for a long time if Gray would light a fire, but he was in for only one play at QB Saturday night as far as I could tell. Weber and Brewster seem to be blue-collar buddies, and as many here say, will go down together with something like a 16-34 record.

I agree with the OP that Weber isn't the problem. But replacing him isn't the solution. The solution is get better play from the defense. If that involves benching starters, then do it. Find a way to make it work.

The only way they can help out the offense, is being more unpredictable with playcalling.

I can't get over the blind Weber-hatred. I'm with the Brew haters.. But hating on Web because he's not Joe *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing Montana is obsurd.

I don't think Weber is the problem either, but it's not hating on Weber to suggest a change at QB. There are a lot of reasons to want Gray in the game. In addition to the team chemistry issue the OP brought up, Gray is obviously the best playmaker and athlete on the team. He needs the ball in his hands every play, not just 7 or 8 times a game. (if that) Maybe he's not totally ready to run the offense, but neither was Terrelle Pryor when Tressel let him play, now look at him. Not saying Gray is Pryor, but they are similar athletically, and he needs to get a chance. Weber is inconsistent, usually inaccurate, and any big play he makes is always followed by a stupid one. If we're going to get freshman inconsistency and mistakes, in addition to a divided locker room, then Gray might as well start. Weber has been alright this year, but he's still just Weber, an average QB whose emotional highs and lows effect himself and the entire team negatively. Point is, it takes as much of the apparent blindness you speak of to defend Weber as it does to "hate" him.

All of that said, I don't think it matters too much who starts the rest of this year, the move to Gray should've happened last year. The coaches have dug themselves and the team into too deep of a hole. The coaches are pretty much the entire problem IMO, everythng wrong with the team stems from them, and I don't think they're going to salvage anything.

Top Bottom