Breakout Players

gophmeister

Reaction score
Every year there seems to be someone who comes in under the radar and has a great season (think Nate Triplett). Who, if anyone, do you think will have an unexpectedly great season?

Let's see by your criteria under the radar, 2007 Decker/Theret, 2008 Campbell, 2009 Triplett. It's not going to be a freshman. I don't see the combination of Eskride and Bennett having a breakout year. One of the freshman might be I wouldn't consider any of them under the radar and were solid recruits. The hype seems to be there for Dajon Mcknight so if he has a great year it would not be a suprise.

My choices are Adam Weber or the Oline or Collado. All of them have looked bad at some point in their careers.

Brandon Kirksey

or

True Freshman running back not yet on campus :) (wishfull thinking)

I fully expect Kirksey to have a good year, so I don't know if I'd put him in the discussion. Perhaps Rallis? Christyn Lewis--dependent upon CB/S situation (Theret return to starting/Royston injury recovery).

I say Collado or Henderson at corner. Collado is already a stellar special teams player and came into form at corner halfway through last season, but I would love to see hm make a big impact full time at the corner position. Henderson simply because it sounds like he had a good spring game. Of course, we would need some significant pressure coming from the line to help out our corners, so how about Garin?

On offense, Bryant Allen and Duane Bennett. Allen should recover from his ankle injury in the Spring Game and have a great year catching the ball, returning the ball, and, I hope, running the ball from a slotback position. This kid has tremendous speed and talent, I hope they utilize that talent this year. Bennett, I think, has recovered from his knee injury of two years ago and is ready to have a big year running and catching the ball.

On defense, no question, my Baby Bulls, Jewhan Edwards and Brandon Kirksey are both ready to manhandle offensive lineman and running backs in the middle. I expect one of them to be All-Big 10, this year or next. Ra'shede Hageman, exceptional physical talent, can he learn the defensive end position quickly enough. I think so.

This is really tough. Its to easy to go with a LB cuz hes gonna make tackles. Or D-lineman cuz they will get some sacks or stop the run. Its just gonna happen. So my suprising player of the 2010 season is gonna have to be Mr. Hayo Carpenter. Henderson and Allen are the only players id say that qualify under this "breakout player" role since all the other players have contributed or excepted to contribute alot.

Offense : Lair

Defense : Rallis (getting a lot of hype this season, but he is really a former walk on safety coming off an injury and RS season), but if he doesn't qualify I will go with KGM.

Offense : Lair

Defense : Rallis (getting a lot of hype this season, but he is really a former walk on safety coming off an injury and RS season), but if he doesn't qualify I will go with KGM.

I agree that Lair (who catches everything they throw at him), and Rallis (great nose forthe ball), will get a lot of attention. I still believe that our vastly overlooked DL will have a far better year than people predict, maybe an outstanding year...

Every year there seems to be someone who comes in under the radar and has a great season (think Nate Triplett). Who, if anyone, do you think will have an unexpectedly great season?

Wills and Carufel. While I expect them to be better than last year, they may surprise and really step up and dominate, Triplett like. It seems that people responding do not understand your thread. They are listing folks that we should expect to play well.

If Brylee Callender has a good year, it will be very unexpected

Up and down, the Skyline Four are going to have big, big years, but a lot of people are expecting that. I'll say Anthony Jacobs. I think he'll develop into a real leader an anchor for the defense.

I agree that Lair (who catches everything they throw at him), and Rallis (great nose forthe ball), will get a lot of attention. I still believe that our vastly overlooked DL will have a far better year than people predict, maybe an outstanding year...

Lair is an interesting pick. I hope he comes through. After spring ball I don't think Rallis qualifies anymore. Too much is expected for him to count as 'under the radar'.

Highwayman, I agree that our D-line will be solid and quite possibly spectacular. We know they will be athletic and stout against the run. Our DTs are rock solid. The question in my mind is whether our DEs show the ability to rush the QB. If they do it will be an outstanding year for the Gopher Defense.

I'm going to say Devon Wright and Ed Olson. Wright is a decently heralded RB recruit, but I think he qualifies as under the radar because there has been much more discussion among of Lamonte Edwards among Gopher fans, than there has been of Wright. And since Wright dominated impressive competition in Broward County, I believe he is the most Big Ten ready of any of our incoming backs.

I think our entire Offensive line will be better as a whole (with one notable exception). I think Olson will fill that spot early in the year and excel there. Because the rest of the O-line has improved tremendously, Olson will be the last piece of the puzzle needed for a solid O-line.

I also think C. Lewis and Kyle Henderson are good picks. Both look poised to have great years. I also think Collado is going to step up in a big way (based on his play this spring), but since it seems like he's been playing for us forever, I'm not counting him as under the radar.

No matter who I pick, someone will say that they expected they'd be good, so my bad no matter what.

My pick - Johnny Johnson.

I have two, one is an incomming freshman, Lamonte Edwards. He is the power back that Coach Horton needs to move the chains. And he wil, there is very little in front of him to make the field. And once he does look for him to be a 30 carry per game guy.

The second MarQuies Gray, he again is the second team QB. It will be oooh about one or three games that will feature the same old thing. The holding the ball, stairing down recievers, throwing in to double coverage, bouncing the throws in the flat, shall I go on? Gray will problably get a start either due to injury, or a blow out. But he will respond, he will lead the team to a unexpected victory. And the rest as they say, is history.

With Brewster's latest announcement we can be certain it won't be anyone on offense that has a breakout year unless Huskers prediction comes true

Offense: Duane Bennett. Hopefully he can put it all together after coming back from the injury a couple seasons ago. He had a few bright spots as the leading rusher last season, and I'm hoping that we'll see more. Someone needs to step up at RB and if it isn't Bennett, I pray it's one of the talented freshmen.

Defense: Ra'Shede Hageman. I think this guy is going to be a beast. If he can use sound fundamentals and learn a couple moves, he's got all the size and talent to create chaos in the opponent's backfield.

I'm predicting Weber for comeback player of the year.

Bennet on offense.

On D I really had expected Jacobs to be my pick but he seems to have fallen and I don't think he'll get up. I guess I'll go with Carter.

Top Bottom