Breaking down the tape from Gophers' win over New Hampshire

Good read. Points out the positive and negative from each unit during the game and seemed pretty accurate from what I could tell. Excited to see what happens this weekend against a much tougher opponent.

The one thing he and most missed in the broadcast of the game was the picture perfect setting, the brilliant sunshine, the horizon of Minneapolis and the Urban Forest. The announcer several times mentioned the setting, the stadium. Now that went out on The Big 10 Network, to I don't know how many households, but the University of Minnesota cannot buy that publicity. Cannot formulating that kind of advertising. Talk about being the front porch of the University, it was perfect.

I was there for the game but as I often do (especially after WINS) I watched my DVR recording of the game as well. One thing that struck me was how much closer the game could have been. There were several breaks and good fortune at critical times that helped turn things into a snowball-effect stomping. What if the UNH QB had been hurt on the last play instead of the first series? What if that close call would-be UNH touchdown pass to the SW side of the end zone been ruled a TD? Of course there have been a million times when bad fortune has stalked the Gophers through the years in games like this, and also much of the "good fortune" like MG's 75 yard TD run to immediately answer the only UNH score of the game was created by the team itself, which was good.

I was there for the game but as I often do (especially after WINS) I watched my DVR recording of the game as well. One thing that struck me was how much closer the game could have been. There were several breaks and good fortune at critical times that helped turn things into a snowball-effect stomping. What if the UNH QB had been hurt on the last play instead of the first series? What if that close call would-be UNH touchdown pass to the SW side of the end zone been ruled a TD? Of course there have been a million times when bad fortune has stalked the Gophers through the years in games like this, and also much of the "good fortune" like MG's 75 yard TD run to immediately answer the only UNH score of the game was created by the team itself, which was good.

Definitely a few things that could have changed the game.... a little. I still think the Gophers were well on their way to wearing down UNH.

Hard to put a lot of stake into the starting QB going down. If I recall correctly, the two that played against the Gophers were in a dead heat for the starting spot to enter the season. There can't be a HUGE difference between the two, and I thought the backup played pretty well early on.

I do that as well, just because there's so much you miss when the action's on the opposite end of the field. I know Rallis wasn't great against UNLV, but I saw one play on the recording that really impressed me. He was part of a gaggle of Gophers running down their RB on the sideline. He's on the ground as the RB slips away and cuts back. Rallis gets off the ground, takes about two steps and gets lit up by a NH player. He goes down again, gets back up and gets in on the tackle at the end. I love that kind of hustle.

Top Bottom