Breaking down San Jose State

Football Gameplan's breakdown of San Jose St. vs Minnesota.

Not a bad preview. I definitely think pressure on Fales will be huge. And as we already know with our offense, running the ball is key. We aren't meant to convert third and medium/long all night.

gopherdudepart2

I thought the 2-0 reference was to San Jose State and their coming off a bye week. I thought it was somewhat informative, contributed to the discussion thread, and maybe included additional information that some would enjoy viewing (eg. Players and the NFL Draft).

I think Stanford is overrated this year. We'll see, but I don't think this is the Stanford of the past few years.

In the second half against West ILL we went to press coverage and pretty much shut down the short routes. I do think we need to take more chances against SJSU as in jumping the routes. This kid is going to zing it 40-50 times. I'd be surprised if Nellie starts. You can get to 75% pretty quick with a hammy. It's the other 25% that's tough. Edwards shouldn't play. Being cleared to practice and strapping on for the game is like night versus day. If the thought process from the coaches is to burn
his RS they should wait until the Iowa game .

If we see 8-9 in the box, we need to take some shots down field. I am not sure how good their secondary is, but it's time to open it up a bit.

gopherdudepart2

I thought the 2-0 reference was to San Jose State and their coming off a bye week. I thought it was somewhat informative, contributed to the discussion thread, and maybe included additional information that some would enjoy viewing (eg. Players and the NFL Draft).

Except SJSU is 1-1.

SJSU couldn't even put up 400 yards against Sacramento State...

I really don't think this will be anywhere near close to the SJSU team from last year but they will be the toughest opponent we have faced so I think Saturday will be more of a true look of what type of team we'll be this season...

Except SJSU is 1-1.

Indeed they are. My mistake - and a funny one at that.

I posted it with the intent to provide further insight and analysis to the game. Hopefully, the rest of the information was informative to some.

A few things about SJS.

11-2 last year.
QB David Fales is likely a 1st round pick in 2014
Top three receivers are all back. Grigsby, Chandler and Carr...as is 4 of 5 O-lineman
Top running back has been held out of first couple of games...not sure if he will play though. They pass to set up the run.
Sac State game was 'very' vanillia and conservative on offense
After narrow win by Stanford in 2012, they were more ready for 2013 SJS team. Was a bit closer than score indicated this year
UM, a 3-0 BIG team playing at home is no more than a 4 point favorite
Take the Over :)
A very average SJS team went to Madison in 2011 and lost by 6 points
11 am start time will work to Gophers advantage
Gophers need to run, run, run...SJS has a good if not very good secondary
Should be a very close, competitive, and entertaining game

A few things about SJS.

11-2 last year.
QB David Fales is likely a 1st round pick in 2014
Top three receivers are all back. Grigsby, Chandler and Carr...as is 4 of 5 O-lineman
Top running back has been held out of first couple of games...not sure if he will play though. They pass to set up the run.
Sac State game was 'very' vanillia and conservative on offense
After narrow win by Stanford in 2012, they were more ready for 2013 SJS team. Was a bit closer than score indicated this year
UM, a 3-0 BIG team playing at home is no more than a 4 point favorite
Take the Over :)
A very average SJS team went to Madison in 2011 and lost by 6 points
11 am start time will work to Gophers advantage
Gophers need to run, run, run...SJS has a good if not very good secondary
Should be a very close, competitive, and entertaining game

You forgot a few things.

- Reshuffled offensive line in the last two weeks
- New head coach (not sure how much of previous staff remained)
- sounds like the RB will not play until conference play
- last years best O-Lineman, the LT to protect Fales backside, graduated and moved on
- Even for vanilla, 24-0 over a Sac State team that lost 55-0 to ASU, and Fales appears to have played the whole game

But you're right, should be a good game. Best of luck.... After Saturdays game of course

per BTN:

UPSET ALERT: Minnesota needs to be wary with San Jose State coming to the Twin Cities. The Spartans went 11-2 last season but have a new coach. Still, talent remains. San Jose State, which was off last week, has an NFL prospect at quarterback in David Fales. And anytime you have a good signal-caller, you have a shot. This game looks and feels a lot like last week’s UCF at Penn State game. And, we know how that ended.

http://btn.com/2013/09/19/best-of-week-4-msu-notre-dame-matchup-has-it-all/?cmp=user+shared+twitter

Go Gophers!!

San Jose State's top receiver Noel Grigsby didn't make the trip due to a knee injury suffered Wednesday.

6 catches, 55 yards, TD vs. Stanford
4 catches, 51 yards, TD vs. Sac State

82 catches, 1307 yards, 9 TDs last year

Only player to return a punt for the Spartans this year.

"Grigsby has 237 career receptions for 3,121 yards and 17 touchdowns. He's also been a clutch receiver for the Spartans, with 62 percent of his catches going for first downs or touchdowns. That includes last season's remarkable 74.4 percent rate."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_24137026/san-jose-state-receiver-noel-grigsby-out-indefinitely

San Jose State's top receiver Noel Grigsby didn't make the trip due to a knee injury suffered Wednesday.

6 catches, 55 yards, TD vs. Stanford
4 catches, 51 yards, TD vs. Sac State

82 catches, 1307 yards, 9 TDs last year

Only player to return a punt for the Spartans this year.

"Grigsby has 237 career receptions for 3,121 yards and 17 touchdowns. He's also been a clutch receiver for the Spartans, with 62 percent of his catches going for first downs or touchdowns. That includes last season's remarkable 74.4 percent rate."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_24137026/san-jose-state-receiver-noel-grigsby-out-indefinitely

Wow, that helps. Definitely offsets the loss of BBC and then some.

Wow, that helps. Definitely offsets the loss of BBC and then some.

Yeah, sounds like they have had some pretty unlucky injuries. The other receivers are all capable though.
In checking their scout board it seems like they are missing their runningback too, and again he's a kick returner, and a higher rated safety of some hype.
Grind them down and don't turn the ball over!

I didn'g forget Ogee...I just chose not to mention.

SJS Alum coming in for the game...but have two kids at the U. Looking forward to a great weekend!

Last year Fales was in the Pistol for MacIntyre last year and was off the charts, this year under center in the West Coast under Caragher he has returned to earth. He is a rhythm passer, accurate in the 15 yard range, 18 and beyond he does not have the arm strength to throw the laser and tends to loop the ball. The key to the West Coast is YAC. So, quick pressure and tackling after catch are keys to defending them.

I didn'g forget Ogee...I just chose not to mention.

SJS Alum coming in for the game...but have two kids at the U. Looking forward to a great weekend!

I really hope you enjoy your visit (except for one part of it).

The weather should be great for football.

Top Bottom