Brandon Marcello: Where would Jerry Kill be today if health didn't end career?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Brandon:

Jerry Kill seemed to be on the cusp of greatness.

He lifted Minnesota out of the doldrums, sending the Gophers to a bowl game and an eight-win season while earning the honor of the Big Ten’s coach of the year in 2014. His health, however, took a turn for the worse. Epileptic seizures caused him to miss games, and a year later he resigned as Minnesota’s head coach.

His rise was over just as quickly as it seemed to be gaining momentum at the age of 53.

Five years later he’s working alongside TCU head coach Gary Patterson, his longtime friend and former college teammate. Their working relationship is simple: Patterson is the head coach of TCU and its defense, and Kill is the head coach of the offense as an “assistant to the head coach.” Kill is not a game-day coach, which allows him to focus on his health. He’s an evaluator, strategist and consultant, something he has done in these years after Minnesota in various gigs at Kansas State, Southern Illinois, Rutgers and Virginia Tech.

Still, one wonders where Kill would be today had health problems not derailed his career.

“I wish I could go back, but I can't (and) won’t do it because of my health,” Kill said. “But I would be a better head coach now than I was even before because I've got to go to all these places.”

Kill was most recently a special assistant at Virginia Tech, where he was hired during the season and was tasked with improving the running game. The Hokies won six of their last eight games. Then his friend came calling.

Kill’s name was hot when he led Minnesota, but he wasn’t necessarily the up-and-coming young coach pundits would usually splash across sports columns as the next big thing in the coaching ranks. Health issues plagued him in 2013 and 2014, forcing him to take a leave of absence at the apex of the Gophers’ hot start in 2013. He retired after seven games because of his worsening health in 2015.

If seizures and battles with cancer hadn’t slowed Kill, it’s not difficult to wonder what could have been. Might Kill have taken Minnesota to new heights instead of resigning in 2015? Would he have potentially landed a top-tier coaching job elsewhere in the country?

“Minnesota has a chance to win the national championship, but he'd have been at one of those elite 20 schools that maybe could have competed with a little more regularly for a national championship,” said Dennis Franchione, Kill’s mentor, former coach and boss at Pittsburgh State.

Kill refers to himself as the fix-it man, but his lasting legacy will also be filled with what-ifs. He took a one-win Southern Illinois program to multiple, double-digit win seasons. He led Northern Illinois to a 10-win year. He led Minnesota to eight-win seasons in back-to-back years for only the second time in 52 years and the Gophers landed a New Year’s Day bowl game for the first time in 53 years. Four years after Kill’s departure, P.J. Fleck led the Gophers to 11 wins and a top-10 ranking in 2019.

“The biggest legacy that I want is I gave every ounce to this game of football and everything I had — probably cost my head coaching career,” Kill said. “…You know, I've been through a lot mentally, but I've handled it I think is good as I can. And I think everybody that knows me and you talk to anybody in the public, they know what Jerry Kill stands for.”

Go Gophers!!

Health didn't end it... Jerry did, because of his health, but it was a choice. He could have taken all the time he needed and the U would have stuck with him.

Hasn’t he had 5 jobs since he retired from the U?

Personally I don't think he is out of the woods as to his health. He is going to get so wrapped up in the offense that it will drive him back to where he was health wise. He needs to step back but he won't.

Had he not had a bunch of seizures he would likely still be the head football coach at Minnesota. Things were pretty good when him and TC were here, and far better than the mess he inherited from Brewster. I don't think he would have won the West, or 11 games in a season. I do think the Gophers would have done a little better in 2017 and 2018. I'm guessing our mood on Kill would be happy we don't stink, but weary of sluggish games and failing in the big ones.

I think the program is likely in overall better shape with PJF and the way things happened. But I think a healthy Jerry Kill would have had a good run at Minnesota.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he helps turn boys into men and football is his vehicle. if his health didn't end his head coaching career there is no doubt he'd have won a bunch more ball games and would have impacted even more kids. instead he's now a "fix it guy" and fixing programs so they can win more ball games and fix kids who need his impact.

Had he not had a bunch of seizures he would likely still be the head football coach at Minnesota. Things were pretty good when him and TC were here, and far better than the mess he inherited from Brewster. I don't think he would have won the West, or 11 games in a season. I do think the Gophers would have done a little better in 2017 and 2018. I'm guessing our mood on Kill would be happy we don't stink, but weary of sluggish games and failing in the big ones.

I think the program is likely in overall better shape with PJF and the way things happened. But I think a healthy Jerry Kill would have had a good run at Minnesota.

I agree with this. Without the health issues he would have had a very Mason like run at Minnesota. Good, rarely if ever great. I don't think he would have ever been in high demand from helmet schools or other "top" jobs.

Right about now we would probably all be getting restless that recruiting still wasn't going great by comparison to the rest of the conference and we weren't really a legit threat in the West each year. Middle of the pack, hoping to get into the division title mix every once in a while with an anemic offense and solid defense.

8 wins is not now nor has it ever been “on the cusp of greatness”

I guess when Brewster won seven games we were a win away from being on the cusp of greatness. LOL

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he helps disappoint boys and men and football is his vehicle. if his health didn't end his head coaching career there is no doubt he'd changed a lot more jobs and would have disappointed even more kids. instead he's now a "leave it guy" and leaving programs so they can win more ball games with better coaches and help kids who don't need need his type of "impact".

Reactions: MRJ

Sorry, I can't do this again.
MnVbAaJ.gif

Of course there is no way of knowing. But, imagine the same events happening, but just replace Claeys ever being head coach. Kill gets fired instead of Claeys and Fleck hired in his place.

I don't know about Kill, but his assistants would all have better jobs than the ones they have now.

Of course there is no way of knowing. But, imagine the same events happening, but just replace Claeys ever being head coach. Kill gets fired instead of Claeys and Fleck hired in his place.
I don't know. A few things to think about:

1. The big spending alumni had told Coyle they were not going to donate unless Claeys was let go. They felt like he couldn't recruit and couldn't be the face of the program. I have that from multiple sports reporters who heard that directly from Coyle and the big donors. That would not have happened with Kill (that year).

2. Kill would not have been virtually an interim coach. He would have had a larger buyout, plus he was a known commodity who had the team moving the right direction.

3. Kill likely would have been more proactive working with Coyle and likely wouldn't have put out the Tweet heard round Gopher Nation. I say that simply based off the years of experience he had as a head coach and the fact he understood publicity in a way Claeys simply didn't.

If the event happens (which is obviously the other question which we will never know), I'm not sure Coyle pulls the trigger based on the above.

I guess when Brewster won seven games we were a win away from being on the cusp of greatness. LOL

Yeah, pretty loose definition of "on the cusp of greatness."

Ranks right up there with Harbaugh's "we're as close to a national championship as is possible."

8 wins probabbly isn't, but maybe more telling is struggling vs. kent state.... if the gophers were headed for greatness.. it wasn't apparent then.

I don't know. A few things to think about:

1. The big spending alumni had told Coyle they were not going to donate unless Claeys was let go. They felt like he couldn't recruit and couldn't be the face of the program. I have that from multiple sports reporters who heard that directly from Coyle and the big donors. That would not have happened with Kill (that year).

2. Kill would not have been virtually an interim coach. He would have had a larger buyout, plus he was a known commodity who had the team moving the right direction.

3. Kill likely would have been more proactive working with Coyle and likely wouldn't have put out the Tweet heard round Gopher Nation. I say that simply based off the years of experience he had as a head coach and the fact he understood publicity in a way Claeys simply didn't.

If the event happens (which is obviously the other question which we will never know), I'm not sure Coyle pulls the trigger based on the above.

True, Kill probably stays if he wins 9 like Claeys did, but if he still hadn't topped 8 who knows. Coyle may have wanted to make his own hire.

He'd have to hire a new OC and move Limegrover to OL coach. The big issue dogging his teams is he couldn't recruit a QB. That is, a higher caliber passing or true dual threat QB because his teams are run heavy.

You stop the run, and you stop the momentum. Maybe hiring a new OC and truly opening up the Offense with a legitimate passing attack may have brought wonders. But, we'll never know.

He is a good man. He cleaned up the program. He is too loyal to his coaches and does not have the heart to fire anyone under performing.

Last edited:

Health didn't end it... Jerry did, because of his health, but it was a choice. He could have taken all the time he needed and the U would have stuck with him.

That is exactly right. The U could have easily made Claeys interim coach and Jerry could have taken the year to address his health. He was the one that said he could not continue as a head coach.

That is exactly right. The U could have easily made Claeys interim coach and Jerry could have taken the year to address his health. He was the one that said he could not continue as a head coach.
I think he knew he was outta bullets at the highest level. And decided to leave himself the ability to get hired elsewhere. Total Jerry move.

per Brandon:

Jerry Kill seemed to be on the cusp of greatness.

He lifted Minnesota out of the doldrums, sending the Gophers to a bowl game and an eight-win season while earning the honor of the Big Ten’s coach of the year in 2014. His health, however, took a turn for the worse. Epileptic seizures caused him to miss games, and a year later he resigned as Minnesota’s head coach.

His rise was over just as quickly as it seemed to be gaining momentum at the age of 53.

Five years later he’s working alongside TCU head coach Gary Patterson, his longtime friend and former college teammate. Their working relationship is simple: Patterson is the head coach of TCU and its defense, and Kill is the head coach of the offense as an “assistant to the head coach.” Kill is not a game-day coach, which allows him to focus on his health. He’s an evaluator, strategist and consultant, something he has done in these years after Minnesota in various gigs at Kansas State, Southern Illinois, Rutgers and Virginia Tech.

Still, one wonders where Kill would be today had health problems not derailed his career.

“I wish I could go back, but I can't (and) won’t do it because of my health,” Kill said. “But I would be a better head coach now than I was even before because I've got to go to all these places.”

Kill was most recently a special assistant at Virginia Tech, where he was hired during the season and was tasked with improving the running game. The Hokies won six of their last eight games. Then his friend came calling.

Kill’s name was hot when he led Minnesota, but he wasn’t necessarily the up-and-coming young coach pundits would usually splash across sports columns as the next big thing in the coaching ranks. Health issues plagued him in 2013 and 2014, forcing him to take a leave of absence at the apex of the Gophers’ hot start in 2013. He retired after seven games because of his worsening health in 2015.

If seizures and battles with cancer hadn’t slowed Kill, it’s not difficult to wonder what could have been. Might Kill have taken Minnesota to new heights instead of resigning in 2015? Would he have potentially landed a top-tier coaching job elsewhere in the country?

“Minnesota has a chance to win the national championship, but he'd have been at one of those elite 20 schools that maybe could have competed with a little more regularly for a national championship,” said Dennis Franchione, Kill’s mentor, former coach and boss at Pittsburgh State.

Kill refers to himself as the fix-it man, but his lasting legacy will also be filled with what-ifs. He took a one-win Southern Illinois program to multiple, double-digit win seasons. He led Northern Illinois to a 10-win year. He led Minnesota to eight-win seasons in back-to-back years for only the second time in 52 years and the Gophers landed a New Year’s Day bowl game for the first time in 53 years. Four years after Kill’s departure, P.J. Fleck led the Gophers to 11 wins and a top-10 ranking in 2019.

“The biggest legacy that I want is I gave every ounce to this game of football and everything I had — probably cost my head coaching career,” Kill said. “…You know, I've been through a lot mentally, but I've handled it I think is good as I can. And I think everybody that knows me and you talk to anybody in the public, they know what Jerry Kill stands for.”

Go Gophers!!
poor Jerry...poor ole Jerry...cry me a river. The door is slammed shut!

8 wins probabbly isn't, but maybe more telling is struggling vs. kent state.... if the gophers were headed for greatness.. it wasn't apparent then.
Somehow being above average = greatness

This is the exact culture Minnesota needed to change

Top Bottom