Brand New Test: A Power Running Team (Iowa)

Bob_Loblaw

Reaction score
Coming into this season, I thought our run defense would be our biggest issue. This Saturday, we face the first team who is going to line up and try to run the ball down our throats. Our DL has looked fantastic, but they are built to rush the passer and play in space. Our LBs are small (Manuel, Cooper, Edwards) and some of our best defensive packages are with 5 sometimes 6 DBs.

So this is a brand new test for our team.

Why I'm encouraged:
-Our safeties have been playing fantastic. I don't like the idea of our DBs making a lot of tackles on Iowa's converted FB turned wrecking ball (Weisman), but they play physically. I am confident that a lot of those 10-15 yard gains by Coker this year will be 4-6 yard gains by Weisman because Wells/Thompson/Vereen are flying up against the run.
-Hageman. I think he is still probably better against the pass, he is so disruptive that he means a lot to our run defense. I should be in the backfield causing a lot of issues for the interior of Iowa's line.
-We play a lot of people. Iowa is good at wearing opposing teams down and we play a lot of guys.

Why i'm worried:
-Our LBs haven't shined this year. We will likely see more of Beal and Reeves this week.
-We're small. Our other DTs, Johnson/Ekpe/Botticelli aren't playing into their strength when they face a team like Iowa.
-It's on the road. Winning in the Big 10 on the road is difficult. Iowa will be the toughest team we've played all year in the trenches and they will be the most physical running team we've faced all year.

Another reason to be excited. Iowa's pass game is HORRIBLE. Seriously, JVB is a bad QB this year. With the improved play by our secondary and pass rush, we can likely afford to stack more guys in the box against the run. Will that help? That's the question.

Watching last weeks Iowa game they're a show a bit of a left side bias when running. They try and get an overload on that side to get blockers free into the linebackers. They do the same thing to the right just not as much. I think that if Hageman is quick enough off the line that they can't block him with one player he disrupts that. It will be important that the other D-line players neutralize their blockers and step into the gaps. I think another part of the answer is for Beal to play a much larger percentage of snaps.

Again Hageman must beat Ferentz. Ferentz is 6'2 and 284. Hageman must beat any double team. The left guard is Matt Tobin 6'6 290. The right guard is Austin Bylthe 6'3 275. Ferentz and Tobin are Senoirs, Blythe is a red shirt freshman.

I agree 100% that Beal will play more this week. His physical play will be key to stopping Weisman.

Good post Bob, I've had some of the same thoughts. Right now, it's not clear if some of our struggles against the run are due to the fact that our game planning has centered around the passing offenses we've faced, or if it really is a limitation with the players we have. I think we see more of Roland Johnson and Cedric Thompson on Saturday as well.

All good points, Bob.

Like I mentioned in a previous thread, it's right about now that I'm REALLY glad that they opened up the season on the road. It was ugly, but they won a game on the road already. If this was the first road game of the season, I would be MUCH more concerned. It's a BIG deal.

Also a positive thing that Shortell isn't making his first start of the season like he did last year; on the road, against a trophy-game rival/opponent. If the backup has to play the first game of the BT slate, I'm glad he's already started a game.

It's one thing to come off the bench and play well; it's another to sleep on it for the whole week knowing that you'll be making your first start of the season. I expected Shortell to have some hiccups and a few bumps in the road against Syracuse, and he did to an extent. He should be a lot more comfortable this week, especially being a sophomore rather than a true freshman.

Defensively, I'm just looking forward to the defense finally getting a chance to prepare for a more traditional opponent/offense, although the last 2-3 opponents will probably help them prepare for Northwestern.

On a side note, I thought Roland Johnson played his best game of the season last Saturday. He made some strong plays.

Iowa vs Minnesota

Iowa 93rd in country in passing Minnesota 69th + 24
Iowa 72nd in country in running Minnesota 50th +22
Iowa 107th in country in points scored Minnesota 56th +51
Iowa 38th in country in points against Minnesota 31st +7

Iowa is 2 and 2....somewhat similar competition to ours. If their opponents could keep Iowa from running over them and accumulatively put them at 72nd in the country in rushing...Minnesota is certainly capable of containing and beating Iowa. We need to keep scoring!

Iowa vs Minnesota

Iowa 93rd in country in passing Minnesota 69th + 24
Iowa 72nd in country in running Minnesota 50th +22
Iowa 107th in country in points scored Minnesota 56th +51
Iowa 38th in country in points against Minnesota 31st +7

Iowa is 2 and 2....somewhat similar competition to ours. If their opponents could keep Iowa from running over them and accumulatively put them at 72nd in the country in rushing...Minnesota is certainly capable of containing and beating Iowa. We need to keep scoring!

Thanks for pulling up these numbers...they paint a really pretty picture for the Gophers and definitely give me reason for a little optimism. I hadn't even considered it, but you're right--Iowa has played pretty similar competition to the Gophers in the form of two MAC teams, a mid to lower-level BCS team, and a strong FCS team. Their games have been close (as have ours), but the myth that Iowa has just been running people over with Weisman (and will do so to us) seems overblown. I think it'll be an extremely close game on Saturday, but I do feel better having looked at these numbers.

Coming into this season, I thought our run defense would be our biggest issue. This Saturday, we face the first team who is going to line up and try to run the ball down our throats. Our DL has looked fantastic, but they are built to rush the passer and play in space. Our LBs are small (Manuel, Cooper, Edwards) and some of our best defensive packages are with 5 sometimes 6 DBs.

So this is a brand new test for our team.

Why I'm encouraged:
-Our safeties have been playing fantastic. I don't like the idea of our DBs making a lot of tackles on Iowa's converted FB turned wrecking ball (Weisman), but they play physically. I am confident that a lot of those 10-15 yard gains by Coker this year will be 4-6 yard gains by Weisman because Wells/Thompson/Vereen are flying up against the run.
-Hageman. I think he is still probably better against the pass, he is so disruptive that he means a lot to our run defense. I should be in the backfield causing a lot of issues for the interior of Iowa's line.
-We play a lot of people. Iowa is good at wearing opposing teams down and we play a lot of guys.

Why i'm worried:
-Our LBs haven't shined this year. We will likely see more of Beal and Reeves this week.
-We're small. Our other DTs, Johnson/Ekpe/Botticelli aren't playing into their strength when they face a team like Iowa.
-It's on the road. Winning in the Big 10 on the road is difficult. Iowa will be the toughest team we've played all year in the trenches and they will be the most physical running team we've faced all year.

I also look forward to this.

I forsee a very very close game.
Ferentz seems to keep his players from getting high or low. Hence the rivalry losses and past track record of solid BIG play. However, these players were embaressed last week, they will come out firing hard against us. We must win the early momentum battle IMO.

On D, I don't fear their power run as much as others.
Our quick and penetrating defense should be able to get to the FB before he gets a head of steam going. Gang tackling and good technique will also help.
Their o line hasn't been all that great.
If we can force them into 3rd down situations, I love our matchups with their passing O.
However i think they'll try to keep this a low scoring defensive battle if they can, I could see FB dives on third downs until the 4th quarter as long as the game is close.

Our O CANNOT turn the ball over. If we do that we will give them field position, and hope.

if we enter the 4th quarter with a lead i think we win. i also hope we have some sort of special team trick up our sleeve, Ferentz has shown a lack of creativity as far as defending special teams. Perhaps a KR reverse? Creative punt block?

I see a 3-7 point win somewhere in the 20's for both teams if everything is equal, they win if we turn the ball over even once or twice.

Thanks for pulling up these numbers...they paint a really pretty picture for the Gophers and definitely give me reason for a little optimism. I hadn't even considered it, but you're right--Iowa has played pretty similar competition to the Gophers in the form of two MAC teams, a mid to lower-level BCS team, and a strong FCS team. Their games have been close (as have ours), but the myth that Iowa has just been running people over with Weisman (and will do so to us) seems overblown. I think it'll be an extremely close game on Saturday, but I do feel better having looked at these numbers.

I was with you right up to the use of the word strong to describe New Hampshire. The Gophers can absolutely win this game but the defense is going to have to play as well as they did against Syracuse and the offense is going to need to be more consistent. Iowa's entire season is riding on this one and I expect a dog fight. That being said I think the Gophers have the more talented team overall so if we don't kill ourselves with stupid penalties, turnovers or miscues in the kicking game the chances of leaving Kinnick with Floyd in tow are as good as they have been in a long time.

Thus far Coach Claeys has been able to minimize the opposing teams strengths, especially Syracuse's Nassib. How many times in the past have we watched no-name QB's light up the Gopher D?

Now we have a new test; an Iowa team that has a good running game. Not only will the DL and LB's have to step up to contain the run but the DB's may have to cover with a SS in the box. We may have to show a good amount two deep zone if we need the SS in run support. I hope Claeys can mix it up and keep the Hogeye OC and QB guessing.

The way the DL is composed as th OP pointed out "...they are built to rush the passer and play in space." if I remember correctly Kill saying he wanted his defense similar to what TCU does. If that is correct we will continue to see a DL built like this going foward.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the B1G over time.

I was with you right up to the use of the word strong to describe New Hampshire. The Gophers can absolutely win this game but the defense is going to have to play as well as they did against Syracuse and the offense is going to need to be more consistent. Iowa's entire season is riding on this one and I expect a dog fight. That being said I think the Gophers have the more talented team overall so if we don't kill ourselves with stupid penalties, turnovers or miscues in the kicking game the chances of leaving Kinnick with Floyd in tow are as good as they have been in a long time.

New Hampshire FCS Rank - 22
Northern Iowa FCS Rank - 17

New Hampshire FCS Rank - 22
Northern Iowa FCS Rank - 17

I never claimed Northern Iowa was Strong I just took issue with calling New Hampshire Strong. And I think a #22 ranking in FCS would back that up.

Iowa - Power running team. Also a turning the ball over at a good pace. Also in their house.

All the more reason that it is absolutely critical that we get ahead on the scoreboard early. Make them one dimensional right away - and their bad dimension, at that.

No turnovers. TDs in the red zone. FG's inside their thirty. The offense will determine much of the potential success or failure of our defense.

Top Bottom