Bowl Season is where conferences make a name for themselves

I am concerned with OSU. Not only have they been exposed, but also possibly demoralized. The path to the National Championship gone. Do they harbor any why play Clemson?

I'm not sure they were exposed in any way. Everyone knew their defense was suspect but their offense was very good. For awhile, their offense was doing whatever they wanted against one of the best, if not the best, defense in the nation.

Remember, Clemson got absolutely manhandled against Florida St. at home this year.

I absolutely will be rooting against our BIGGEST RIVAL come January 1st, and I simply cannot fathom any other viewpoint.

Rational reason: What incremental good does it do the Gophers if the BIG is 4-3 vs. 3-4 (or 2-5 vs. 1-6, etc)? Now, what incremental harm does it do the Gophers if the Badgers win vs. lose their bowl game?

Real reason: THEY ARE THE FREAKING BADGERS!

ITS THE FREAKING SEC THEY ARE PLAYING AGAINST! i personally hate every single SEC team with the exception of Vanderbilt and Notre Dame a lot more then i hate Wisconsin or Iowa, we need those 2 to win, the perception of the big ten matters to me and i want the big ten to be back as the best conference. actually i also hate Texas, OU and USC a lot more then i hate any big ten program, i just hate non big ten helmet schools, i don't mind a program like Oregon who is up and coming but not a historic power but i just hate non big ten brand schools

Upnorth kid read the bold and determine for yourself?

I know I mentioned this on the other thread, but if our goal is to compare conferences, we should look more closely at conference standings than at national rankings. In our SEC games, the B1G delegates finished higher in the B1G than the SEC delegates did in the SEC. If the third, fourth, and fifth best B1G teams cannot beat the fourth, fifth, and sixth best teams in the SEC, then I have trouble making an argument that B1G is a better conference.

I love the big ten. But until Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St. returns to prominence we are down.

I love the big ten. But until Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn St. returns to prominence we are down.

You could be in for a long wait for those three to return. Better to embrace Michigan State, and Minnesota.

The big ten of a decade ago had Ohio st and Michigan in the top 10 about every year. Penn St. was usually a top 15 or so team. Nebraska pre big ten was a powerhouse. Teams change position, some gain, some lose. Michigan still recruits top 10 classes like Ohio St., I am not sure another big ten team can do that year in and out.

I'm not sure they were exposed in any way. Everyone knew their defense was suspect but their offense was very good. For awhile, their offense was doing whatever they wanted against one of the best, if not the best, defense in the nation.

Remember, Clemson got absolutely manhandled against Florida St. at home this year.

Did you watch the Michigan game? The OSU secondary, especially the safeties are suspect. Michigan exposed it but could not capitalize. Michigan State did. And if Conner Cook and Devin Gardner can, what makes you think Boyd can not? When it came to the Florida State beat down, it was Winston throwing the ball.

And the X factor in all bowl games, is which team wants it more. I think the bubble has burst at Ohio State, Clemson relishes the chance. How many OSU players have NFL in their future, will they be willing to go all out to beat Clemson?

Did you watch the Michigan game? The OSU secondary, especially the safeties are suspect. Michigan exposed it but could not capitalize. Michigan State did. And if Conner Cook and Devin Gardner can, what makes you think Boyd can not? When it came to the Florida State beat down, it was Winston throwing the ball.

And the X factor in all bowl games, is which team wants it more. I think the bubble has burst at Ohio State, Clemson relishes the chance. How many OSU players have NFL in their future, will they be willing to go all out to beat Clemson?

How is throwing for 451 yards, 4 TD, and scoring 41 points not capitalizing?

I assumed by your comment that you were saying Michigan St. exposed Ohio St.'s defense. My point is that I think most everyone knew their defense wasn't that great before they played Michigan St. If that is not what you meant, then I apologize.

My take:

It doesn't matter how the B1G does in the bowl games. The SEC's perception will be stronger no matter what. Even if the B1G loses every game, there still will be the perception that we're on par with the B12, PAC-12, and the ACC. The SEC is #1 and will be #1 for a long time while in any given year the other 4 major conferences could be shuffled in any order and the outcome of the bowl season won't impact their perception.

Therefore I'll be cheering my heart out for Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio St to lose. Having them all win won't drastically alter the perception of the B1G. So therefore Boooooooooo Pigeons, Becky, Woman of Negotiable Affection, and the Columbus Cheaters.

How is throwing for 451 yards, 4 TD, and scoring 41 points not capitalizing?

I assumed by your comment that you were saying Michigan St. exposed Ohio St.'s defense. My point is that I think most everyone knew their defense wasn't that great before they played Michigan St. If that is not what you meant, then I apologize.

by capitalize I mean they couldn't close the deal and beat OSU. Michigan State Did.

I absolutely will be rooting against our BIGGEST RIVAL come January 1st, and I simply cannot fathom any other viewpoint.

Rational reason: What incremental good does it do the Gophers if the BIG is 4-3 vs. 3-4 (or 2-5 vs. 1-6, etc)? Now, what incremental harm does it do the Gophers if the Badgers win vs. lose their bowl game?

Real reason: THEY ARE THE FREAKING BADGERS!

Here's my reason. You decide whether it's rational or not. The more wins our conference gets in bowl games, the stronger is the reputation of and admiration for it. We are in that conference so there is a transfer of prestige to our program. Similarly, WI beat us this year so if they lose to a non-conf team, THAT team will appear to be stronger than us. In later rounds of any tournament, I always pull for the team that beat my team. Seems rational to me. Why would I want a long list of teams that have wins over teams that beat me? Best year is one in which we're undefeated. Next best is one loss -- to an undefeated number one team in the country. Third best...etc.

Unlike some recent years, I like most of the matchups the Big Ten got this year. 4-3 should be expected, and I think 5-2 is attainable. Don't see any games where the B1G appears to be completely outclassed, especially with LSU and Georgia's QB situations (studs out for the bowl game).

Sparty vs. Stanford is a pick 'em. Not sure why the Cardinal are favored by 4. I'd jump on that one if I was in Vegas.

OSU can certainly beat Clemson. For all the crap OSU has taken since losing to Sparty, doesn't change the fact Clemson's lucky as hell to get a BCS bid.

Bucky vs. The Ole' Ball Coach is a toss-up.

Iowa-LSU probably the Big Ten's least favorable matchup, but Hawkeyes are on a nice little run; wouldn't count them out.

Nebraska-Georgia simply could come down to which team least wants its disappointing season to end.

As colossal of a disappointment as Michigan has been, Big Blue shouldn't lose to K-State.

Gophers have no business losing to Syracuse, and they won't. They'll play with a purpose (first bowl win in ages).

I'll say everyone wins except Iowa and Nebraska.

My take:

It doesn't matter how the B1G does in the bowl games. The SEC's perception will be stronger no matter what. Even if the B1G loses every game, there still will be the perception that we're on par with the B12, PAC-12, and the ACC. The SEC is #1 and will be #1 for a long time while in any given year the other 4 major conferences could be shuffled in any order and the outcome of the bowl season won't impact their perception.

Therefore I'll be cheering my heart out for Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Ohio St to lose. Having them all win won't drastically alter the perception of the B1G. So therefore Boooooooooo Pigeons, Becky, Woman of Negotiable Affection, and the Columbus Cheaters.

Completely disagree with this. If the B1G go 0-7 or 1-6, people will rightfully be able to claim our conference is below the Big XII and even below the ACC, if both of those conferences do well. While a good record won't really change the perception of the SEC dominance, it can help to chip away a bit. I can assure you a 1-6 record will just cement the perception even further.

Completely disagree with this. If the B1G go 0-7 or 1-6, people will rightfully be able to claim our conference is below the Big XII and even below the ACC, if both of those conferences do well. While a good record won't really change the perception of the SEC dominance, it can help to chip away a bit. I can assure you a 1-6 record will just cement the perception even further.

Very true.

Top Bottom