Bowl Schedule Out

mplsbadger

Reaction score
Once again, assuming two BCS games, six B10 teams will play on or after January 2nd. Nine will play overall (if eligible).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6672862

Handicap the Gophers chances...

For the six Jan. 2nd or later games I like,
Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State, Northwestern, Illinois

For the next three I like,
Michigan, Purdue, Minnesota

Not bowling,
Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa

Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Nebraska should not see a big drop off from last year. Illinois & Northwestern make the top tier because of quarterbacks. I have a feeling Iowa is going to collapse. I think Ohio State gets a ban like USC. If they are good in the W-L, this could prevent a 2nd BCS team however so perhaps nobody moves up. I'm assuming that doesn't happen.

The Gophers surprise as Gray turns out to be the real deal and team defense is just good enough to win 6-7 games despite a murderous schedule.

I'm already revved up for the GoDaddy.com Bowl pitting the MAC vs. the Sun Belt. Perhaps Danica Patrick will agree to show up in a bikini to enable them to sell more tickets?

I'm curious - Wisconsin has the best regular season in its 122-year history, then loses an extremely accurate 2-year starting QB (with no appreciable experience among any backups), a 2-year starting RB, 3 of its 5 starting OL (all drafted), the leading KR in Big Ten history, an elite TE (drafted), their best defender (top-10 overall draft pick), several impact multi-year starters in the back 7, and you don't expect a "big drop off"? I guess one could quibble over the meaning of the word "big", but unless Wilson actually does transfer in, I see 8, maybe 9 wins at best for the Vadgers this fall. It's pretty tough to have back-to-back 11-win seasons in the Big Ten if you're anyone but Ohio St., especially when you have, what, 3 returning starters on offense?

The OSU will self-impose if NCAA hasn't ruled

I'm guessing the NCAA won't have ruled on Ohio State by the end of the football season, but nevertheless I'd bet OSU will self-impose a bowl ban to soften the blow for when the NCAA axe comes later on.

They're idiots if they don't exclude themselves from bowl season. They need to do whatever they can to make themsleves look better to the Infractions Committee.

If Persa doesn't come back 100 percent they will struggle to get to .500.
If he does come back I see 8-4 as their ceiling.

You have Illinois overrated IMO, I think this will be Zooks last year.
I actually have Iowa as a darkhorse to win the conference.

If Persa doesn't come back 100 percent they will struggle to get to .500.
If he does come back I see 8-4 as their ceiling.

You have Illinois overrated IMO, I think this will be Zooks last year.
I actually have Iowa as a darkhorse to win the conference.

agree with both of your points here. especially in regards to illannoy. imo, nathan scheelhause (sp?) is a bit overrated. he and persa are the same type of QB, and i think persa is the better of the two.

anything and everything northwestern will be able to do next year is soley dependent on persa and him figuring out a way to pull another rabbit out of his arse to win games at the end like he did a few times last season (i.e. against us, against iowa, against indiana, against vanderbilt). if persa is not completely healthy from his achilles tendon tear (note that he seems to look to run first far more than he ever looks to throw first) i don't think northwestern will be bowling. a running QB who can not cut & weave in the "hard" style that made him successful most of last season is going to be in trouble. even with persa i see them potentially losing around 7 games next season.

Illinois will miss that RB a bunch. He was a stud and singlehandedly won and kept them in a few games last year.

I'm curious - Wisconsin has the best regular season in its 122-year history, then loses an extremely accurate 2-year starting QB (with no appreciable experience among any backups), a 2-year starting RB, 3 of its 5 starting OL (all drafted), the leading KR in Big Ten history, an elite TE (drafted), their best defender (top-10 overall draft pick), several impact multi-year starters in the back 7, and you don't expect a "big drop off"? I guess one could quibble over the meaning of the word "big", but unless Wilson actually does transfer in, I see 8, maybe 9 wins at best for the Vadgers this fall. It's pretty tough to have back-to-back 11-win seasons in the Big Ten if you're anyone but Ohio St., especially when you have, what, 3 returning starters on offense?

I didn't mean to list them in order and wouldn't necessarily quibble with your analysis too much. But even 3 less wins keeps the NYD group.

Once again, assuming two BCS games, six B10 teams will play on or after January 2nd. Nine will play overall (if eligible).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6672862

Handicap the Gophers chances...

For the six Jan. 2nd or later games I like,
Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State, Northwestern, Illinois

For the next three I like,
Michigan, Purdue, Minnesota

Not bowling,
Ohio State, Indiana, Iowa

Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Nebraska should not see a big drop off from last year. Illinois & Northwestern make the top tier because of quarterbacks. I have a feeling Iowa is going to collapse. I think Ohio State gets a ban like USC. If they are good in the W-L, this could prevent a 2nd BCS team however so perhaps nobody moves up. I'm assuming that doesn't happen.

The Gophers surprise as Gray turns out to be the real deal and team defense is just good enough to win 6-7 games despite a murderous schedule.

I miss the days when January bowls actually meant something.

Wisconsin also returns 2000yards and 32 TDs rushing which will offset Clay. Wisconsin had 3 Olinemen drafted but only 2 of those guys where starters. Also had one kid who started 2 years ago but then red-shirted last year and will start at RG.

Top Bottom