Bowl Game Results and Weather

HopHead

rank lieutenant
Reaction score
I found it interesting that the Big 10 did better in Bowl games this year and the weather in most of the bowl games they won was considered unseasonably cold or bad field conditions.

The three losses were played in very nice conditions:

Insight Bowl - 63 and dry
Outback Bowl - 64 and dry
Alamo Bowl - Dome

Three of the wins were played in "cold" or poor conditions:

Citrus Bowl - 50 and dropping. (Miami player actually complained about the cold after the game saying it gave Wisconsin a home field advantage)
Capitol One Bowl - 62 and raining with terrible field conditions
Orange Bowl - 49 made it the coldest Orange Bowl in history

The only game the Big 10 won in "nice" conditions was OSU in the Rose Bowl.

Coincidence?

Outback bowl was not in good conditions - it may have been 64, but not "dry" by any stretch. There was quite a bit of rain and a wet field, though the turf held up much better than the Cap One bowl's which was played around the same time just over in Orlando. I think the wet conditions made for the bad kicking game by NU. Conditions actually went against NU (the "northern" team) because it wasn't actually cold, NU relies almost entirely on the pass, and Auburn didn't have to attempt any FGs.

Thanks for the correction. I guess I didn't notice the rain at the Outback Bowl but I didn't get to watch much of that game. I was going by the historical data on wunderground.com for Tampa on Jan 1. It showed total precip as 0.00 inches. So if it rained, it must have not been much.

Top Bottom