Boise State must be even more dumbfounded...

Some Day...Is Coming!

Some Day...Maybe?
Reaction score
...after watching Michigan and Va. Tech. The way those two teams played tonight Boise would have routed either one of them. What a brutal BCS game. Boise by 10+ against either one. Brutal. 184 yards of total offense and 12 first downs for the winning team. Great game NCAA, great game.

Boise has no beef until they play in a big boy conference with the injuries that go with it. Peterson turned down the UCLA job to continue recruiting marginal academic athletes with no conference competition.

Boise has no beef until they play in a big boy conference with the injuries that go with it. Peterson turned down the UCLA job to continue recruiting marginal academic athletes with no conference competition.
Is it really the schools fault they are in a small conference? Besides, aren't they moving to the Big East?

Is it really the schools fault they are in a small conference? Besides, aren't they moving to the Big East?

You can't really blame them because they've been trying to make their schedule more and more difficult, but the fact remains that their schedule is pretty easy. So while I don't blame them for their weak schedule, I also realize they have almost no margin for error.

On the subject of Boise I noticed on the crawl that Peterson signed a new 5 year deal at 2 million per with a 1 year extension added to the deal everytime the team wins at least 8 games. He really seems like one of the few coaches out there that may actually have figured out that if you have a sweet deal why not live it up instead of chasing the next big thing.

With the run they have had it would take an epic collapse or some major scandal for the administration to even consider cutting him loose so he will have a crazy long leash and my guess would be he is treated like a celebrity out there in Idaho. Not as glamorous as some places but if you can make a couple mil a year without the insane pressure that most coaches are under it could lead to a pretty happy life I would think.

On the subject of Boise I noticed on the crawl that Peterson signed a new 5 year deal at 2 million per with a 1 year extension added to the deal everytime the team wins at least 8 games. He really seems like one of the few coaches out there that may actually have figured out that if you have a sweet deal why not live it up instead of chasing the next big thing.

With the run they have had it would take an epic collapse or some major scandal for the administration to even consider cutting him loose so he will have a crazy long leash and my guess would be he is treated like a celebrity out there in Idaho. Not as glamorous as some places but if you can make a couple mil a year without the insane pressure that most coaches are under it could lead to a pretty happy life I would think.

Not as glamorous as some places? I guess that's in the eye of the beholder. Beautiful scenery. Far from the difficulties of urban centers in the US. Outdoor activity opportunities. A winning tradition and no pro sports to compete with. Sounds like a good gig.

...after watching Michigan and Va. Tech. The way those two teams played tonight Boise would have routed either one of them. What a brutal BCS game. Boise by 10+ against either one. Brutal. 184 yards of total offense and 12 first downs for the winning team. Great game NCAA, great game.

Put LSU and Bama uni's on them and it's a great game :)

NCAA has nothing to do with the BCS. You can blame the NCAA for not having post-season football if you want, but this is a BCS issue.

I still don't get the argument of the huge disparity in schedule strength. First, remember that they are top dogs in their conference (save for TCU this year). They wear the big target on their back. Everybody plays up to them. Next, remember they TRY to schedule as many big non-conference games as they can. This year, Georgia played in the MIGHTY SEC and played a whopping 3 ranked teams (beyond Boise), one of them was because they made it to the title game and played LSU (and lost). Last year Boise State beat VaTech on the road (yes, playing in DC is a home game for VT), and ranked Oregon State at home. They beat their the rest of their foes by a lot, losing only on a botched FG to a RANKED team, on the road

The argument seems to be that because Boise DOESN'T play in a power conference, that means they COULDN'T. People state that there's no way Boise State would go undefeated in the SEC, Big Ten, Pac 12, etc. Let me ask you this: how many teams go undefeated every year in those conferences? I don't believe for an instant Boise would have the same record over the past 10 seasons if they played in the B1G. However, I DO believe that one year, a combination of schedule and their team could produce an undefeated season (or 1-loss early that they get back in to the top) just like LSU coming and going, Alabama taking a year off, etc. It happens. And I'm saying with their current talent, I think they'd win an average of 10 games a season in the Pac12/B1G, 11 in the ACC/BigEast (with at least 2 undefeated ones in 10 years), and at least 2 1-loss seasons in the SEC. I think their record vs. BCS (and good, ranked ones at that) opponents over the last 6 years supports that. Including the 2006 season, they are:

8-1 vs BCS opponents
6-0 vs ranked BCS opponents
8-2 vs ranked opponents

I like those winning percentages. Yes, playing 6+ ranked opponents in one year takes its toll mentally and physically by the end of the season, but keep in mind that the right schedule (home vs away, matchup of teams' strengths) and the right team can make it through.

And yes, they are probably a little pissed that if they lose one game, to a good TCU team, they drop from BCS game (not national championship, mind you), down to a meaningless bowl in Las Vegas against an inferior Pac12 team who they throttled. How does beating a 6-6 once-ranked PAC12 team like ASU not prove that they could handle middle-of-the-pack BCS conference schools with ease, and win at least 50% of the tough games in conference???

Boise State is a very good team in a really nice city playing a very middle to weak schedule. It's the only game in town. The town is beautiful and the coach is a hero and making a fortune with little pressure.

Given all that, they will still need a very fortuitous series of events to qualify for a big time bowl game. The only way out of it is to switch conferences. Notre Dame, Alabama and USC aren't traveling to Boise to play football so an upgrade of the schedule isn't likely.

The club champion at my course isn't getting invited to play in the masters, even though he's great and never loses and won by a record margin.

Boise State @ Michigan State on an August Friday night. ... a nice way to start the 2012 college football season. Both teams will be breaking in new QB's, but both should be pretty formidable again.

The club champion at my course isn't getting invited to play in the masters, even though he's great and never loses and won by a record margin.

Boise St.:Alabama::Tiger Woods:random club champion is an absurd analogy. Boise St. can, and has, beat(en) many of the big-time schools in the country, almost always on the road. Your random club champion would never, ever beat Tiger Woods in match play, unless maybe Tiger played left-handed.

If Boise played in the big 10 this year they prob would have won it.(I really don't know a team that they wouldnt be favored against this year) Worse case they might be a 3 loss team. Kellen Moore would have prob been the big 10 player of the year. I def believe that they can play with the big boys like other posters have mentioned, but until they get a tougher schedule they should have to go unbeaten to play in a bcs game

If Boise played in the big 10 this year they prob would have won it.(I really don't know a team that they wouldnt be favored against this year) Worse case they might be a 3 loss team. Kellen Moore would have prob been the big 10 player of the year. I def believe that they can play with the big boys like other posters have mentioned, but until they get a tougher schedule they should have to go unbeaten to play in a bcs game

Probably wouldn't hurt them to add an additional 350,000 in alumni either. 75,000 alumni vs Michigan's 425,000 is an easy choice when marketing a bowl. Doesn't mean it's right. Just is the way it is.

Boise would not qualify for the big ten and other conferences academically. Yes, academics play a role in conferences. They were a JC 30 years ago. Fog a mirror and You are in at Boise.

dominant

Boise State has the best winning percentage in college football over the last decade. They've beaten everybody: bad teams, good teams, great teams... from every conference. They've tried to schedule the best possible non-conference slates, they've been relegated to garbage bowl games, but through it all they've proven in games against teams with far superior recruits and deeper rosters with more athleticism and better talent and bigger dudes on the line that it doesn't matter to them. They are better-coached. They execute. They are a better team. If you write that off to those great teams being wore-out from a season of major conference football, you are flatly denying that Boise also beats them in the early non conference when both teams are fresh.

Thing is, all the decision makers in the bowls know that Boise is a great team and would, at the very least, compete with, and probably defeat major conference teams in bowl games. The Sugar Bowl knows that, even. The Sugar Bowl knew full-well that they were putting lesser teams (but with more alumni and fans) into their game.

It was a financial decision, plain and simple. It's up to them to do that. At the same time, I think it's pathetic that they're too cowardly to simply come out and tell us that it's a bottom-line decision. Instead we get all this crap about Michigan's tradition and Beamer-Ball and yaddah yaddah. In the end, it's number 11 vs. number 13.

Really? I cannot believe this comment has gone this long without being addressed. Are you suggesting more injuries occur in the SEC than the MWC? If so, that is preposterous. Injuries happen in the MIAC too popeyoung.

Boise State has beaten some good teams, but they haven't had to play tough teams week in and week out. With their moving to the Big East, this will change, they'll have their chance to prove themselves through the whole season.

Boise State has beaten some good teams, but they haven't had to play tough teams week in and week out. With their moving to the Big East, this will change, they'll have their chance to prove themselves through the whole season.

So let me get this straight, the Big East, ranked the #5 toughest conference by the Sagarin rankings, and THAT proves the difficulty week in and out? I also am still not exactly sure on how playing a tougher schedule every week means a team is better... Let's say you play a tough schedule and win every game by 3. Or you play an easy one and win every game by 25-30. Possibility of injury is there for both. Preparation for the games to win convincingly is there for both. Explain it to me. Also, Boise will still probably get screwed next year since the Big East is losing West Virginia, Syracuse, and Pitt and only gaining Central Florida, Houston, SMU, Boise, and San Diego State, all teams the media and population think don't deserve a shot at the title even if they go undefeated. I'll take a bet - Boise goes undefeated next year and still won't make it to the title game.

I think the selection for this year's championship game proved that PERCEPTION of a team's strength and strength of schedule is more important that whatever the games and numbers tell you. Oklahoma State played in what I see is clearly the best conference in the country this year - look at the Big 12's Sagarin ranking, bowl record, and teams in the top 25. OkSt lost to a decent Iowa State team on the road in OT, and at the end of the season their computer rankings were nearly unanimously higher than Alabama's, but the perception of the SEC strength swayed voters.

Even though Boise State has tried to beef up their non-conference schedule, they don't belong with the Oklahoma State's and the Stanford's of the world. My main concern is that a Mountain West road game doesn't equate to a B1G road game. It would be crazy to think that walking into the Big House is the same as walking into Bulldog Stadium (Fresno State). The average attendance for a Gophers' road B1G game in 2011 is 70,000+. In contrast, Boise State's average road Mountain West game attendance is 33,000. I'm not saying that attendance dictates the level the difficulty, but it certainly adds to the home field advantage. The Gophers haven't won in Madison since 1994. Sure, a lot of that has to do with the product on the field, but it also has to do with the 80,000+ fans packed into Camp Randall. The Horseshoe, Big House, Camp Randall, Happy Valley, etc. add an intimidation factor that Boise State doesn't have to deal with; not to mention playing in a conference that has 4+ teams in the top 25 at any given time.

The Big East isn't at the top of the BCS conferences, but it is a step up from the Mountain West. I think the top teams from the MWC and the WAC could have formed a conference that would have passed by the Big East.

8 Boise State
20 TCU
68 San Diego State
72 Air Force
86 Wyoming
141 Colorado State
153 UNLV
179 New Mexico

29 Cincinnati
30 West Virginia
33 Rutgers
56 Pittsburgh
61 South Florida
64 Louisville
74 Connecticut
85 Syracuse

The Big East is top to bottom a tougher conference than is the MWC, with an average Saragin ranking of 90.9 for the MWC, vs an average Sagain ranking of 54 for the Big East. Sure, there are changes, but the Big East will still be tougher than the MWC.

The MWC loses #20 TCU, and gains #102 Fresno State, #63 Nevada and #96 Hawaii.

The Big East loses #85 Syracuse, #50 Pitt and #30 West Virginia, and gains #8 Boise State, #22 Houston, #68 San Diego State, #69 SMU and #78 UCF.

After this, the conferences will look like this:

63 Nevada
72 Air Force
86 Wyoming
96 Hawaii
102 Fresno State
141 Colorado State
153 UNLV
179 New Mexico

8 Boise State
22 Houston
29 Cincinnati
33 Rutgers
61 South Florida
64 Louisville
68 San Diego State
69 SMU
74 Connecticut
78 UCF

With these changes, the MWC now has an average Sagarin ranking of 111.5, while the Big East now has an average Sagarin ranking of 47.5. According to Sagarin, the Big East got stronger, while the MWV got weaker. Even if we calculate the average Sagarin ranking assuming that Boise State had not made the move, things don't change that much. In that scenario, the MWC would have an average Sagarin Ranking of 103.6, while the Big East would have an average Sagarin ranking of 55.3.

By moving to the Big East, Boise State will be playing a more difficult conference schedule. In addition, the BCS status means that there won't be controversy over whether or not they get a BCS bowl if they win their conference championship, they will get the Big East's autobid to the BCS. Boise State isn't a natural fit for the Big East, obviously, and I wouldn't be surprised if they jump ship if a better situation comes up.

Top Bottom