Boise St vs Va Tech

On a side note; Should the Gophers schedule BS? We have scheduled home and home with USC and Texas(since canceled), why not BS? They do bring a lot of attention.

Three reasons to schedule a BSC opponent.

1. Attention to the program for the fans, recruits, and team. In turn it answers the question of recruits who are going to be playing? They know about the Big 10, but who else?

2. It should sell out the stadium. It generally is a home/home arrangement so there is no huge outlay

3. It silences those in Minnesota who attack the schedule as not being Big time.

And finally there is a wide array of BCS schools to choose from. Unless you are loaded and are chasing the National Championship there is no reason to load 2 or more top 10 ten teams on the schedule. On the other hand, tip toeing through the non conference schedule, competing and even winning the conference, and then making a claim to the title is the norm and seems a little hollow.

I salute teams like VaTech and Boise. This game is more about put up or shut up.
Miami is not back, but they travel to the Horseshoe. This is Miami, The U. And how about the original any team, any where, any time Florida State traveling to Norman, Oklahoma, Penn State at Alabama. All these teams are chasing the title.

Go Hokies, please beat Boise so they can't complain about not being in the BCS championship after battling through a rigorous WAC schedule.
________
Yzr-M1

Great game and Boise State looks really good...but does anybody really think they would go to the national championship if they were playing in the SEC or Big 10, or even the PAC 10/ACC/Big East? Kellen Moore is a baller and they have some really nice players on that Boise state team, but I just don't see every one of these contests going their way. If they have to battle an OSU/Wisconsin/Iowa/PSU/Nebraska slate I just don't see them winning all of those games, although they may win them a lot. The road to the national championship takes a lot of luck along with a lot of skill. Boise State only needs to play at their very highest level in ~2-3 games per year.

All of that said, I had a lot of fun watching them and I was rooting for them as much I don't think they deserve to play in the national championship with that WAC slate. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Great game and Boise State looks really good...but does anybody really think they would go to the national championship if they were playing in the SEC or Big 10, or even the PAC 10/ACC/Big East? Kellen Moore is a baller and they have some really nice players on that Boise state team, but I just don't see every one of these contests going their way. If they have to battle an OSU/Wisconsin/Iowa/PSU/Nebraska slate I just don't see them winning all of those games, although they may win them a lot. The road to the national championship takes a lot of luck along with a lot of skill. Boise State only needs to play at their very highest level in ~2-3 games per year.

All of that said, I had a lot of fun watching them and I was rooting for them as much I don't think they deserve to play in the national championship with that WAC slate. It will be interesting to see what happens!

That is true, but if they had to play a big10 or sec or pac 10 schedule, that means they would be in one of those conferences.

My point? If they were in a big time conference, there would be more resources, better recruiting, and even more coverage (although BSU does get an obscene amount of coverage as it is). Yeah, they play a more cupcakey schedule, but don't forget why. And don't forget the natural handicaps that comes with being in a mid-major.

Not saying they are the best team, and as it is... yeah, they probably would lose a game or two in the SEC or BigTen. But there still is something wrong when you can go undefeated and still not get a share of the title. At least let Alabama or Florida or OSU prove they are better. Play the games.

That is true, but if they had to play a big10 or sec or pac 10 schedule, that means they would be in one of those conferences.

I think to prove they belong in the national championship they should beat high caliber teams multiple (at least 3-4) time per season. There shouldn't be much doubt about who should be playing. That is the problem with their schedule -- one game could be a fluke. A full slate of BCS conference games is not. I think the current Minnesota team could be Virginia Tech 2 or 3/10 times and then would have a very good shot to go undefeated against the rest of that schedule. We also have a decent chance of knocking off a similarly ranked Iowa/Wisconsin/PSU/NU, but I highly doubt even if we manage that, that we would go undefeated.

This means their non-conference schedule should be all high profile teams, as they will not get that in their conference schedule (I have heard they have difficulty scheduling some of these teams).

My point? If they were in a big time conference, there would be more resources, better recruiting, and even more coverage (although BSU does get an obscene amount of coverage as it is). Yeah, they play a more cupcakey schedule, but don't forget why. And don't forget the natural handicaps that comes with being in a mid-major.

I agree that this would give them a bigger recruiting advantage, but then our argument is moot because any team that can play 8-9 BCS caliber teams and come away unscathed deserves to be there. I don't care if it is UT or if it is Baylor -- if you can run the gauntlet on one of those schedules, you likely deserve to be in the title game.

Not saying they are the best team, and as it is... yeah, they probably would lose a game or two in the SEC or BigTen. But there still is something wrong when you can go undefeated and still not get a share of the title. At least let Alabama or Florida or OSU prove they are better. Play the games.

I don't think there is anything wrong with refusing to recognize an undefeated team as a champion. There is a reason we have a poll -- win/loss only tells you so much.

I don't think the onus should be on the system to prove that Boise State is better. I think the onus (or the burden of proof, in lawyer speak) should be on the team. Schedule enough games against big time opponents that there isn't much doubt at all in the poll over whether they belong there.

An analogy from high school -- does a student that takes all AP and honors courses and gets A's and A-'s deserve to be ranked ahead of a student that takes all normal classes and completes their work and gets straight A's? You bet they do. That's how I see the BSU situation -- the burden of proof would not be on the school in this situation to rank the "normal" student ahead of the "honors" student. The normal student would need to step up his/her game and take harder classes to justify their claim to a higher class rank. Yeah, I know it's not a perfect analogy but I think it works okay.

All of that said, I would love to see BSU put together a tougher schedule and make a run for the national championship -- I would cheer for them when I'm not cheering for the Gophers. I think they could have given it a decent shot in 2006/2009, but I'm not confident in that. I would want more evidence.

Sorry for the long windedness!

Congrats to Boise State who is nearly 11-0 with their one remaining true opponent (Oregon State) and 9 cupcakes to vanquish after that.

Top Bottom