Boddy-Calhoun made it out of one of America's most dangerous cities and hopes to insp

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cleveland.com: Boddy-Calhoun made it out of one of America's most dangerous cities and hopes to inspire others to do the same

Boddy-Calhoun has a degree in elementary education. He says it was inspired by Hunter, the man he still calls Coach Bo.

"He meant everything," Boddy-Calhoun said. "Once I got down to Coffeyville ... he would call me weekly just to check in on me, see how I'm doing mentally, spiritually. ... Every week he had some gem. ... 'Make sure you're focused on this. Make sure you're in your books.'"

Hunter, for his part, takes great pride in the man Boddy-Calhoun has become, even if he doesn't want to take much credit.

"It gets me emotional because I'm happy," Hunter said. "I'm so happy for this young man."

And even though Boddy-Calhoun has gotten out, it doesn't mean he won't go back to Wilmington.

"I would like to be that bridge to show people that you can make it out and whatever it is you want to do, you can do," he said.

He's inspired, in part, by his time at Coffeyville, where he found out teammates were getting offers from strong Division I programs, players he knew weren't better than guys he went against in Wilmington.

"All I wanted to do at that time was run back home and tell everybody don't give up. Don't fall into this trap," he said. "You don't have to sell drugs. You need school. Stay in school."

When he came out to train with Hunter this summer, Boddy-Calhoun tossed an NFL football to the local kids working out with him.

"He says, 'Listen, I want you all to see me. See my height. See that I'm no different from you all,'" recalled Hunter. "'You've got an opportunity. You've got a chance.'"

Even at 5-foot-9, getting out of Murder Town USA was never too big of a task for the man they call Boddy.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/10/briean_boddy-calhoun_cleveland.html

Go Gophers!!

Dude made plays.

All due respect to Briean, but it also would be interesting to hear about his parents approach to parenting in an environment like that.

This is me with my head in the sand. I'm thinking, "What could possibly be bad about Delaware?" 45 minutes one way to Baltimore, 45 the other way to Philly. I often forget how tightly clustered everything is on the East Coast.

This is me with my head in the sand. I'm thinking, "What could possibly be bad about Delaware?" 45 minutes one way to Baltimore, 45 the other way to Philly. I often forget how tightly clustered everything is on the East Coast.

That area is to ship building what the Detroit area is to auto manufacturing. Jobs dried up and fell pray to drugs and gangs. It's a really depressed area.

Thank you for posting this article. I"m a huge fan of BBC. He made so many great plays for us - like the fantastic interception in Lincoln in 2014. What an admirable young man. I have no doubt he's going to touch the lives of many kids, just as his mentor has.

Thank you! I remember being in the stands thinking "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!"

Thank you for posting this article. I"m a huge fan of BBC. He made so many great plays for us - <b>like the fantastic interception in Lincoln in 2014. </b>What an admirable young man. I have no doubt he's going to touch the lives of many kids, just as his mentor has.

One of my favorite Gopher plays ever. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for posting this article. I"m a huge fan of BBC. He made so many great plays for us - like the fantastic interception in Lincoln in 2014. What an admirable young man. I have no doubt he's going to touch the lives of many kids, just as his mentor has.

Stole the ball, and maybe the game... That WAS a great play.

Top Bottom