Bobby Bowden to announce retirement tomorrow

U2Gopher

Reaction score
His tenure at FSU comes to an end, probably a few years too late. Still, ole Bobby was a great coach.

Now Joe Pa cand retire and not worry about Bobby getting more wins than him.

Knowing JoePa he'll stick around at least one more year to make sure Bowden stays retired. Left to his own devices, Paterno will stay on the sidelines until Bobby's taking a dirtnap. Bowden was a great coach in his day, but he did stick around a bit too long. FSU paid the price for that.

I don't mean this as a criticism but every time someone mentions Bobby Bowden I have to chuckle thinking of how he handled off the field problems with his players. It just demonstrates how much different college football is the south.

I remember one particular time after one of his players was caught doing something bad. Instead of suspending, benching or kicking the player off the team Bobby simply said to the press, "now the important thing here is that he knows what he done was wrong." LOL.

I'm a little disappointed that FSU already had a coach in waiting. If this job were open, I think it would be one of the most sought after jobs we have seen in a while.

The big program coaching searches intrigue me. All of the rumors and candidates denying interest right up until they accept the job.

I'm a little disappointed that FSU already had a coach in waiting. If this job were open, I think it would be one of the most sought after jobs we have seen in a while.

The big program coaching searches intrigue me. All of the rumors and candidates denying interest right up until they accept the job.

A coach in waiting circumvents equal opportunity as well.

I don't mean this as a criticism but every time someone mentions Bobby Bowden I have to chuckle thinking of how he handled off the field problems with his players. It just demonstrates how much different college football is the south.

I remember one particular time after one of his players was caught doing something bad. Instead of suspending, benching or kicking the player off the team Bobby simply said to the press, "now the important thing here is that he knows what he done was wrong." LOL.

Great coach (probably should have retired five years ago though), but I never liked or respected him that much for the reason cited by stevedave23. Bowden played the pious act to the hilt and fielded a team of thugs and crooks for a number of years. I can remember the old joke (and it's old) about a theft in Tallahassee and the cop asking the victim "Did you get a jersey number on the perpetrator?"

Can't argue with his on-field accomplishments though. The string of top five finishes is truly amazing. Ranks up there with Tom Osborne and a couple of other folks as a great recruiter who could hone that talent into productive teams.

I love what FSU, the ACC and the bowl games are doing. FSU would probably go to San Francisco to play Stanford in the Emerald Bowl, but the FSU and the ACC are trying to get the Gator Bowl to put West Virginia (Bowden coached there from 1966-1975 as OC and the HC) to play the Seminoles or have the Champs Sports Bowl take them so Bobby can have his final game in a Florida bowl. I applaud that! Even though they went 6-6, I hope they do get the Gator Bowl. I'm gonna miss seeing Bobby on the sideline at Florida State!

Top Bottom