Bob Sansevere: Gophers need to think twice before new Tubby Smith deal

Who is Bob Sansevere?

You think all is well in Gopherland? Satisfied with how the Tubby era has played out so far? Not saying we need to can him, but I'd certainly think twice about extending him right now.

Whenever I read "5 kids left in the last year", I immediately drop that to 2 that Tubby can remotely take any responsibility for. I don't blame Tubby because someone is out kickin' ass at MOA with their buddies, then can't handle the consequences. I don't blame Tubby because he won't let players smoke doobs. And I don't blame Tubby for Paul Carter's sister getting cancer. Sorry, I don't.

Whenever I read "5 kids left in the last year", I immediately drop that to 2 that Tubby can remotely take any responsibility for. I don't blame Tubby because someone is out kickin' ass at MOA with their buddies, then can't handle the consequences. I don't blame Tubby because he won't let players smoke doobs. And I don't blame Tubby for Paul Carter's sister getting cancer. Sorry, I don't.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Why is it that when other coaches have players that get thrown out of programs or leave for various reasons, the coach is a slimeball, but when Tubby has the exact same things happen, he bears no fault?

One more thing. Joseph was not thrown out for smoking weed. He left because of playing time. Twist the facts all you want, but it is what it is.

Everyone says that Devoe left because of this or that. Does anyone really know the real reason Devoe left? I know I don't. Also, no one has anything bad to say about Tubby after they left, except for maybe Cobbs. I think he said something on twitter or facebook to Damian Johnson. Also, is Izzo now a "slimeball" as well? I mean, kids will do what they want, no matter who is coaching them. When I coach takes a bad apple kid, I is kind of like a women who dates a dead beat guy that she thinks she can change. The player can say all the right things sometimes, but than still be a bad apple. The only 3 players I can see this being is Devoe, Royce and Cobbs. I just think Colt left because of playing time and Carter left because of his sister.

http://mnsportssidefx.blogspot.com/

Well I was in favor of getting Tubby's contract extension done, but now that I know Bob Sasevere is against it, I'm totally against it too. Bob's knowledge of college basketball is so great that it is surpassed only by Souhan. :cool:

Everyone says that Devoe left because of this or that. Does anyone really know the real reason Devoe left? I know I don't. Also, no one has anything bad to say about Tubby after they left, except for maybe Cobbs. I think he said something on twitter or facebook to Damian Johnson. Also, is Izzo now a "slimeball" as well? I mean, kids will do what they want, no matter who is coaching them. When I coach takes a bad apple kid, I is kind of like a women who dates a dead beat guy that she thinks she can change. The player can say all the right things sometimes, but than still be a bad apple. The only 3 players I can see this being is Devoe, Royce and Cobbs. I just think Colt left because of playing time and Carter left because of his sister.

I agree.

Why is it that when other coaches have players that get thrown out of programs or leave for various reasons, the coach is a slimeball, but when Tubby has the exact same things happen, he bears no fault?

One more thing. Joseph was not thrown out for smoking weed. He left because of playing time. Twist the facts all you want, but it is what it is.

I assume it was both, but how do you give more playing time to an unreliable kid with an attitude?
I blame Tubby for recruiting Joseph, not for him transferring. I do not blame him for Royce leaving, he had no choice but to recruit him. Royce probably needed a scenery change and new friends really badly. Paul Carter's leaving being counted in the statistic is a joke. Justin Cobb did not want to wait to play long enough to be a competent player. He did the right thing for everyone if that was how he felt.
I do have problems with how Colton has progressed, but part of the problem is it is hard to play he and RSIII at the same time when neither has low post moves.
Colton is the only one of the five where I can look at it and say that once he was here, things should have worked out better. but they did not, life goes on.

This is funny. But I think you're in better shape for having Tubby there. 3 20+ win seasons and would have been 4 this year had Nolen been available. Plus your conference is better from top to bottom now than it has been in a while IMO.

If Tubby's teams were playing well, no disrespect intended, but most people would not give a damn about the transfers,.

think twice...

Thought 1: "We're lucky we got him!"
Thought 2: "Let's keep him!"

Done!

Bob Sansevere has always been complete idiot! Who reads his weak garbadge anyway? Go Tubby!

Breaking News

We now interrupt your regularly scheduled program for the following late breaking news flash:

"#14-ranked team loses 3 of it's top 8 minute-getters and struggles for the remainder of the season."

Outside of that small fact, this is all I need to know about the Gophers after losing Big Mo, Nolen, and Joseph in the span of a couple weeks: for the last 4-6 weeks of the season, the most reliable shooter on the team from more than 5 feet (outside of Blake) was Ralph Sampson III. Really? If your second best "perimeter shooter" (if you can call him that) is RSIII, I think it's safe to say you're going to struggle.

Well I was in favor of getting Tubby's contract extension done, but now that I know Bob Sasevere is against it, I'm totally against it too. Bob's knowledge of college basketball is so great that it is surpassed only by Souhan. :cool:

+1

Think twice....

and then get him signed to an extention.

Tubby has enough personal pride to want to right the ship....the right way........and I think he'll rededicate himself and demand the same of his staff.

We've got a good coach...let's support him.

lefty

and then get him signed to an extention.

Tubby has enough personal pride to want to right the ship....the right way........and I think he'll rededicate himself and demand the same of his staff.

We've got a good coach...let's support him.

I agree wih Lefty.

:clap::clap::clap:

Why is it that when other coaches have players that get thrown out of programs or leave for various reasons, the coach is a slimeball

Why is it that you generalize?

Dick Bennett: Not a slimeball.

I think the best point made here is that nobody would care about the transfers if the Gophers were winning. What goes hand in hand with that is Tubby's ability to bring in talented recruits. If we were replacing Justin Cobbs with Cory Joseph, nobody would give a damn that Justin left. The fact that we replaced Justin Cobbs with Maverick Ahanmisi is what makes people wish Cobbs was still a Gopher.

I was trying to think of what Tubby has done an above average job of during his tenure at Minnesota? Recruiting? No (was before last year) Player Development? No Defensive system/execution? No (far too many open 3's) Offensive system/execution? No(weakest part of the team)

With the notable exception of the end of this year when the team badly underachieved, Tubby has done a great job of getting the team to play hard. That's been the one calling card of Tubby's tenure here IMHO. To get a bunch of college kids to play hard when consistently is no easy feat and Tubby has done that for the most part.

I am not ready to get rid of Tubby, but I am happy that questions are being asked. If the fanbase doesn't ask questions after 4 years of zero NCAA tournament wins, then we have no chance of seeing the program reach its potential.

I'd bet a sizable amount of money that if you asked Sanny who suceeded Tubby Smith, he'd say John Calipari.

I'm not sure who the moderator(s) are on this board, but this personal attack mentality behind the shield of internet anonymity is frankly embarrassing.. I suspect that the primary moderator is GopherLady, but there is no transparency on that front. The only thing that I can think of is that the majority of the personal attacks are coming from people in their early 20s who haven't experienced the realities of the real world.

Like it or not, the U is a public institution. Tubby Smith is far and away the highest paid state employee. You can make any arguments that you want about revenues from the athletic department, but the fact remains that Smith's salary is an outlier among state employees.

Obviously, if we want a competitive athletic program, U employees need to be exempt from state rules on public employee salaries. However, the fact that a majority of the red meating eating wolfpack that attacks any dissenting view on Smith is completely naive and frankly leads to the potential of the casual- and non- sports fans ultimately turning against the U and anything sports related. The fact that no one is questioning the timing and optics of extending Smith following last season and a turn-over in the program that at least warrants some questions is highly naive, in my opinion. How are you going to sell to the public that Tubby had an epic fail this season but we are extending him at a salary to be one of the 20 highest paid college basketball coaches in America? Families that are seeing their services cut because of State budgetary constraints. Families that are not sports fans. You can try to make the athletic program revenue argument, but it is not going to be succesful with that portion of the population. You run the risk of turning a majority of the state taxpayers against the U athletic programs, similar to the anti-Wall Street mentality that emerged post the 2008-2009 bailouts.

Furthermore, Tubby has had the extension in hand for at least a year. What has been the delay? Is it the buyout on the new contract? Does he not want to forego the rumors and flirtations that pop up every spring? Why is he now so eager to sign the contract? Will the contract ensure that he stays within the top 20 highest paid college coaches?

To ignore the economic and political realities of a slam dunk "let's extend Tubby!" argument is completely naive. Let's intelligently debate the points rather than utilizing the red meat (yet passively aggressive given internet anonymity) approach of attacking the messenger.

I'm not sure who the moderator(s) are on this board, but this personal attack mentality behind the shield of internet anonymity is frankly embarrassing..

Your belief that a coach signing an extension will keep them at a college or stop rumors of them leaving is embarrassing.

Tubby needs to win next year, period, end of story. no extention until then, in 4 years, we are all waiting for tourney wins!

Extend him. Don't pay him as if he is an elite coach.

How exactly do you know it was just due to playing time? What about the reasons affecting his playing time?

I'm not sure who the moderator(s) are on this board, but this personal attack mentality behind the shield of internet anonymity is frankly embarrassing.. I suspect that the primary moderator is GopherLady, but there is no transparency on that front. The only thing that I can think of is that the majority of the personal attacks are coming from people in their early 20s who haven't experienced the realities of the real world.

Like it or not, the U is a public institution. Tubby Smith is far and away the highest paid state employee. You can make any arguments that you want about revenues from the athletic department, but the fact remains that Smith's salary is an outlier among state employees.

Obviously, if we want a competitive athletic program, U employees need to be exempt from state rules on public employee salaries. However, the fact that a majority of the red meating eating wolfpack that attacks any dissenting view on Smith is completely naive and frankly leads to the potential of the casual- and non- sports fans ultimately turning against the U and anything sports related. The fact that no one is questioning the timing and optics of extending Smith following last season and a turn-over in the program that at least warrants some questions is highly naive, in my opinion. How are you going to sell to the public that Tubby had an epic fail this season but we are extending him at a salary to be one of the 20 highest paid college basketball coaches in America? Families that are seeing their services cut because of State budgetary constraints. Families that are not sports fans. You can try to make the athletic program revenue argument, but it is not going to be succesful with that portion of the population. You run the risk of turning a majority of the state taxpayers against the U athletic programs, similar to the anti-Wall Street mentality that emerged post the 2008-2009 bailouts.

Furthermore, Tubby has had the extension in hand for at least a year. What has been the delay? Is it the buyout on the new contract? Does he not want to forego the rumors and flirtations that pop up every spring? Why is he now so eager to sign the contract? Will the contract ensure that he stays within the top 20 highest paid college coaches?

To ignore the economic and political realities of a slam dunk "let's extend Tubby!" argument is completely naive. Let's intelligently debate the points rather than utilizing the red meat (yet passively aggressive given internet anonymity) approach of attacking the messenger.

Well that's a pretty absurd generalization you #&!#&!#&!#&!#&!

Top Bottom