Bob Newhart, Comedy Icon, Dies at 94

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Bob Newhart, the genteel but sharply satirical comic whose TV series “The Bob Newhart Show” and “Newhart” were huge hits throughout the 1970s and ’80s, died Thursday in Los Angeles. He was 94.

Newhart’s publicist Jerry Digney said he died after a series of short illnesses.

Before his TV success, Newhart’s comedy albums were wildly popular for their at-the-time new approach of observational humor. He ruled TV for the better part of two decades, first with “The Bob Newhart Show” as a befuddled Chicago psychologist and then on “Newhart” as an equally at-a-loss New England innkeeper. He drew Emmy nominations for actor in a comedy three years running from 1985-87.Both shows were major successes for CBS, and they ran for a total of 16 years between 1972 and 1990.

Surprisingly, his first Emmy win didn’t come until 2013, when he won for a guest acting spot on “The Big Bang Theory.”

Go Gophers!!

For TV Sitcoms it's one of the gold standards of the 20th Century, no doubt. I still will watch when I stumble across one. "Hi, Bob!"

What I thought was cool was even though their comedy and personalities were quite different his best friend in the biz was Don Rickles. How fun would it be to sit at a dinner table with those 2 legends?

In one of his later roles, I thought he still had his fastball in "Elf".

I didn't love the Big Bang Theory like some did but he was hilarious in that show as Professor Proton.

The 'Thanksgiving' episode of the Bob Newhart Show is one of the funniest half-hours of television IMHO. in the show, Emily leaves to visit her family and Bob has the boys over - Jerry, Howard & Mr Carlin to watch football. They get drunk and hilarity ensures. classic bits include a drunken discussion on how to cook a turkey, and Bob's attempt to order Chinese take-out.

I never really got into the 'Newhart' show - caught enough to know Larry, Daryl and Daryl - but the Bob Newhart show was great.

The 'Thanksgiving' episode of the Bob Newhart Show is one of the funniest half-hours of television IMHO. in the show, Emily leaves to visit her family and Bob has the boys over - Jerry, Howard & Mr Carlin to watch football. They get drunk and hilarity ensures. classic bits include a drunken discussion on how to cook a turkey, and Bob's attempt to order Chinese take-out.

I never really got into the 'Newhart' show - caught enough to know Larry, Daryl and Daryl - but the Bob Newhart show was great.
Not meaning to get off track here, but I think you could fill up a full day's of classic sitcom Thanksgiving episodes and be stretched to complete it within 24 hours. It's the holiday that sets up best for humor--doesn't have the mawkishness of Christmas episodes nor the faux spookiness of Halloween (speaking in general terms--don't attack me Treehouse of Horror fans).

Here's some great Thanksgiving episodes off the top of my head:
--the above mentioned
--WKRP, the turkey drop
--Cheers, Diane as a pilgrim, food fight ensues
--several Friends episodes (they really delivered on their Thanksgiving episodes)
--Mad About You has a great episode where they go through about 4 or 5 turkeys hosting their first family Thanksgiving

I know I'm missing some classics in addition to these.

Didn't get to see him do stand up in person until he was well past his prime, but what a treat. A true legend of the art form. RIP Dr. Hartley.

Top Bottom