Bluff County Reader: Many never leave home without their maroon and gold

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the oft-read Bluff County Reader:

A few years back, American Express ran an ad suggesting that one thing we should never leave home without is our American Express card. I had had experiences that convinced me that this was true, and I have lived by that advice ever since.

Since then, I have added two other things that I never leave home without: first, my laptop computer and then added to life’s little necessities has been my Golden Gophers colors. I have also learned that I am not alone: many others also never leave home without the maroon and gold.

That has been very evident this summer when we are spending much of our time at our camper. It has been a fun time using the Gopher colors as an excuse to stop in and talk to people about their connection to the University of Minnesota and the Golden Gophers. What is especially rewarding is when it is the next generation of Gophers displaying “the colors.”

When I stopped to talk to people — and ask permission to take photos — I also found that many people who are loyal to the maroon and gold are not alumni. They are happily included in the description of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association as being made up of “alumni and friends.” I’m happy to say that there are a lot of friends. I’ve also been impressed by the variety of ways that people find to express their support!

Of the more than 200 campsites occupied on the weekends at the Old Barn Resort, of course by far the majority of school colors displayed are the maroon and gold; after all, we are in Minnesota. But because we are “Minnesota nice,” we don’t object to the good folks from Iowa who hang their black and yellow outside their weekend places. I even saw a Wisconsin flag here once!

Go Gophers!

http://www.hometown-pages.com/Conte...ome-without-their-maroon-and-gold/14/59/64773

Go Gophers!!

I always have some sort of maroon and gold on here in Lincoln county..

I grew up in a household that was quite loyal to the maroon and gold despite nobody in it actually ever having attended the "U." I went to an MIAC school so I was always able to maintain my sports fandom with the Gophers because I didn't have to worry about my D3 school competing for recruits or on the field/court with the Gophers. Well, there were a few battles on the golf links and tennis courts with the Gophers so I guess my allegiance to gopher tennis and golf falls far behind my alma mater. Since adulthood, my wife at least holds a graduate degree from the "U" so I can officially say it is in my family now. And... I always see a lot of maroon and gold around regardless if I am downtown Mpls or anywhere outstate. I can say from personal experience the outstate regions follow and back Gopher sports pretty well.

My daughter is the only one in our family to attend the U, but we have numerous gopher items that we wear. I think many people associate the U as being a fan of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a Gopher Alum as is my youngest son. My oldest son got his undergrad at Winona State, but is now getting his Master's at the U. Needless to say I'm excited to have both my boys in the Gopher fold. And YES, I wear LOTS of maroon and gold......just ask my wife!

My parents took us out of Minnesota and moved us to California when I was a kid. I have lived out here ever since and have acquired an immigrant mentality, always planning my next trip to Minnesota. I have a reputation as something of an eccentric, leaving the house without Gopher gear only for church. I taught middle school for 40 years and kept a rack full of Gopher hats in my classroom. Narrating Gopher highlights for my students while standing and cheering on my desk was a ritual I loved observing. Of course, they learned The Rouser, which was a fun reason for them to make some racket. Before meeting me, many of my students were only vaguely of the Gopher State's existence. I liked changing that perception as a kind of wacky ambassador. The worse the Gophers play, the more I enjoy wearing Gopher stuff. I meet closet Gopher fans around here frequently. When they ask me if I am from Minnesota, I say "Of course, who would pretend to be?"

I've noticed that there tends to be much more vociferous support for Gopher athletics in greater Minnesota than in the MSP metro...

I grew up in a household that was quite loyal to the maroon and gold despite nobody in it actually ever having attended the "U." I went to an MIAC school so I was always able to maintain my sports fandom with the Gophers because I didn't have to worry about my D3 school competing for recruits or on the field/court with the Gophers. Well, there were a few battles on the golf links and tennis courts with the Gophers so I guess my allegiance to gopher tennis and golf falls far behind my alma mater. Since adulthood, my wife at least holds a graduate degree from the "U" so I can officially say it is in my family now. And... I always see a lot of maroon and gold around regardless if I am downtown Mpls or anywhere outstate. I can say from personal experience the outstate regions follow and back Gopher sports pretty well.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I attended and graduated from Minnesota State University Moorhead, but since it's a DII school I can root for both the Dragons and the Gophers. While I proudly wear clothes from my alma mater, I also wear plenty of maroon and gold stuff and gladly support the U of M.

All of my workout apparel is Gopher related. I do see people wearing sconnie gear at the gym and I always wonder why. They don't know it is embarrassing to be seen in that junk. Nasty.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of my workout apparel is Gopher related. I do see people wearing sconnie gear at the gym and I always wonder why. They don't know it is embarrassing to be seen in that junk. Nasty.

I see Badger gear every day. Kids these days!

My parents took us out of Minnesota and moved us to California when I was a kid. I have lived out here ever since and have acquired an immigrant mentality, always planning my next trip to Minnesota. I have a reputation as something of an eccentric, leaving the house without Gopher gear only for church. I taught middle school for 40 years and kept a rack full of Gopher hats in my classroom. Narrating Gopher highlights for my students while standing and cheering on my desk was a ritual I loved observing. Of course, they learned The Rouser, which was a fun reason for them to make some racket. Before meeting me, many of my students were only vaguely of the Gopher State's existence. I liked changing that perception as a kind of wacky ambassador. The worse the Gophers play, the more I enjoy wearing Gopher stuff. I meet closet Gopher fans around here frequently. When they ask me if I am from Minnesota, I say "Of course, who would pretend to be?"

classic!! :cool:

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE

Dude, you really need to find a different place to work out. At a minimum, I hope you disinfect any equipment before you use it and are up to date on your tetanus shots!

It's probably the cheapest clothes they can find at Goodwill.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I attended and graduated from Minnesota State University Moorhead, but since it's a DII school I can root for both the Dragons and the Gophers. While I proudly wear clothes from my alma mater, I also wear plenty of maroon and gold stuff and gladly support the U of M.
Same boat but played FB across the graveyard at Concordia. My t-shirt drawers are an endless sea of maroon and gold.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wearing Gophers gear is synonymous with supporting the state of Minnesota. Everyone wears it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom