Blind Resume (sort of)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
It's that time of year to pull out blind resumes. Obviously, if the Gophers beat Purdue tomorrow, these will become more relevant in these parts.

For starters, we're going to take a snapshot look at the Gophers' resume, and compare it to the (blind) resume of a bubble team generally considered to be in the tournament, or just barely off the bubble. In other words, currently the Gophers are considered a ways behind this squad in the bubble pecking order. Can you name the team (there are some obvious "tells") without cheating?

GOPHERS
RPI: 77
Overall Record: 16-10
Conference Standing: 6th
vs. RPI Top 50: 3-5
vs. RPI Top 100: 4-8
Road/Neutral Record: 3-8
Overall SOS: 63
Nonconference SOS: 109
Last 12 Games: 5-7
Bad Losses (101+): 2
Best 3 Wins: vs. Butler (18), Wisconsin (19), Ohio State (32)

BUBBLE TEAM (IN) -- Can you name it?
RPI: 59
Overall Record: 17-9
Conference Standing: tied for 6th
vs. RPI Top 50: 3-7
vs. RPI Top 100: 5-7
Road/Neutral Record: 5-6
Overall SOS: 51
Nonconference SOS: 211
Last 12 Games: 8-4
Bad Losses (101+): 2
Best 3 Wins: Georgetown (11), vs. Xavier (20), @ UConn (41)

I'm guessing that team is Marquette.

On a related note, we're just a couple of weeks away from hearing Jay Bilas repeat his mantra once again for bubble teams and it's one that I completely agree with by the way: (paraphrasing) "Every bubble team has shown they can lose. The committee should be looking for the teams that have shown they can win against the best teams in the country."

That's why I think the Best 3 Wins category should be the most important. VT had a resume last year that looked good except they really never beat anybody and as a result, I didn't think they deserved to get in. If the Gophers can beat Purdue tomorrow, they'll have 4 really good wins. Same goes for UConn. They've shown they can lose but they've also shown they can compete with the big boys and that's very important in my book.

Just my 2 cents on the process and why tomorrow's game will/should be incredibly important.

Marquette has had some tough games this year. They have lost 6 games by 11 total points.. I think they will get in for sure.

Marquette is correct

Good work Pewter.

The best 3 wins is a big one for me as well. When it gets to the nitty gritty and I'm down to selecting the last few teams, I'll look at their best wins more than any other single thing. It's especially helpful for a bubble team if any of those wins took place away from home. In Marquette's case, 2 of their 3 best wins occurred away from Milwaukee, including a true road win. That's huge.

One thing I'm deemphasizing this season is the last 10-12 games. Last year prior to Selection Sunday the committee really hammered home that they look at the entire body of work. They said a big win at the beginning of the season is just as significant as a big win toward the end of the season, and their at-large selections really backed that up. That's why I thought Arizona deserved to get in (big wins at beginning of season, struggled down the stretch) and did.

Marquette has had some tough games this year. They have lost 6 games by 11 total points.. I think they will get in for sure.

The Gophers have lost 5 games by a combined total of 12 points. I think many teams can say something similar.

71 ?

One thing for sure is an RPI of 71 will not cut it.

I am surprised the Wisconsin win did not move our needle much.

I find it hard to believe that the 6th place Big Ten team could miss the tourney this year. Going into the year, everyone was talking about how loaded the Big Ten was, and they are right. Last year we got 7 teams in and did pretty well, and the conference lost very little from last year. We have 3 teams this year that are legitimate Final Four contenders. We won the ACC/Big Ten challenge for the first time ever.

It's a complete joke to think the Atlantic 10 might get in as many teams as the B10, or that the Big East is talking about 8 or 9 teams in.

RPI is overrated. It's only one of many statistical attempts to measure a team. Other computer rankings and the like have as in the 40s or 50s right now, and if we manage to beat Purdue will be a lot higher.

Marquette's current resume vs. Minnesota is a no contest. Marquette would need to play themselves out of an invite. Minnesota needs for a lot of things to happen, not the least of which is winning games they are not 'supposed to' win.

I'm not the biggest fan of the RPI overall, but especially not a fan of the 1-50 'bucket'. You've got MU listed as having played 10 games against top 50 RPI teams... but, it's worth considering that Marquette has played 6 games against teams in the top 11 of the RPI and 8 against the top 20.

Also.. the conference standings... blah. Being sixth in the Big East is a lot difefferent than being sixth in the Big Ten.

Anyway, I hope they both make it to the Final Four.

I simply repeat what I believe to be true. ... teams get bids, not conferences. And what happened last year should and doesn't have any bearing on this year. That's the way it should be. When these teams are being looked at and picked apart by the Selection Committee, they are being looked at as individual entities, not as members of a conference. They're all independents, so to speak.

I agree that RPI is overrated, but it does a serve a purpose. It's best used when evaluating teams' performances vs. the top 25, the top 50, the top 100, etc. A team's RPI means little to me, but certainly if you're in the 70's a team will have quite a few flaws.

"Marquette's current resume vs. Minnesota is a no contest. Marquette would need to play themselves out of an invite. Minnesota needs for a lot of things to happen, not the least of which is winning games they are not 'supposed to' win."

I'm certainly in agreement with your there. However. ...

"Being sixth in the Big East is a lot different than being sixth in the Big Ten."

I respectfully disagree. Do you really think there's a big difference between Marquette and Minnesota? I'd pick Marquette if they played on a neutral court, but I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between the two teams. I see two teams that have earned their current status (not locks for the tournament).

"Marquette's current resume vs. Minnesota is a no contest. Marquette would need to play themselves out of an invite. Minnesota needs for a lot of things to happen, not the least of which is winning games they are not 'supposed to' win."

I'm certainly in agreement with your there. However. ...

"Being sixth in the Big East is a lot different than being sixth in the Big Ten."

I respectfully disagree. Do you really think there's a big difference between Marquette and Minnesota? I'd pick Marquette if they played on a neutral court, but I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between the two teams. I see two teams that have earned their current status (not locks for the tournament).

You're asking a question that is completely different from what you're disagreeing with. The Big Ten has 4 teams in, 1 likely in, and a couple that have a small prayer. The Big East has 5 teams in, 2 more likely in, and another 4 with a prayer. Another way to put it: The sixth place team in the Big East will go dancing. The sixth place team in the Big Ten will most likely not.

There is a huge difference between the resumes of the two teams -- that is why Marquette is projected by nearly everyone to be 'in' as of now, while no sane person would have Minnesota in. Marquette would have to lose games they are not supposed to lose in order to fall back onto the bubble. Minnesota would have to win games they are not supposed to in order to reach the bubble. HUGE difference.

I hope the Gophers end the regular season on a 6 game winning streak - but without winning the next 4, they will need things out of their control to go their way, plus do some work in the BTT. The reality is they won two home games - beating their arch rival in a game in which Minnesota was favored. Then, they blew out a terrible team... a game in which the money was on them blowing II, II out of the building. Don't get me wrong, the performances were very good, but it doesn't mean they are all of a sudden a bubble team - they simply are not right now.

The two victories were great, and they give us hope, but Minnesota is nowhere near the same position Marquette is at. It's not even 'kind of close'.

You didn't answer my question. I wasn't asking about the Gopher and Warrior resumes. I've already agreed with you that Marquette's resume is much stronger.

Again, do you really think there's much difference in the caliber of ball club (using the eye test) between Marquette and Minnesota?

You didn't answer my question. I wasn't asking about the Gopher and Warrior resumes. I've already agreed with you that Marquette's resume is much stronger.

Again, do you really think there's much difference in the caliber of ball club (using the eye test) between Marquette and Minnesota?

(I don't know what your definition of the eye test is, but...) No. They are tied as the best two teams in America. However, Marquette has performed better this year. From a perspective of actual results vs. expectations, MU has knocked it out of the park.

Really?

(I don't know what your definition of the eye test is, but...) No. They are tied as the best two teams in America. However, Marquette has performed better this year. From a perspective of actual results vs. expectations, MU has knocked it out of the park.

Expectations? Really??? My "expecations" prior to the start of the season were that they Gophers would have the services of Trevor Mbakwe, Royce White, and 3-yr starting PG Al Nolen for the entire season.

I have no idea what Marquette's expectations were at the start of the season either, but I would imagine they aren't playing anywhere near as "short-handed" as the Gophers have this year.

That being said, there's no discounting the fact that MU has a MUCH greater case for the tourney than the Rodents, without QUESTION. I also know that a conference with 25 teams (or however many the Big East has these days) is bound to have more chances for a tourney bid than one with 11.

I like that you call them the Warriors. How that one fell in the "hostile and abusive" class, I'll never know.

Expectations? Really??? My "expecations" prior to the start of the season were that they Gophers would have the services of Trevor Mbakwe, Royce White, and 3-yr starting PG Al Nolen for the entire season.

Absolutely. My expectations if White and Mbakwe were to play was that we were a top-15 team, with a chance to grow into a real contender for the Big Ten Championship. Without them, my expectation was that we should be a top 25 team and hopefully win a game or two in the tourney (but most certainly should be able to make the tourney). Even without those guys, the performance has fell short of reasonable expectations - it's just the truth, my man.

I have no idea what Marquette's expectations were at the start of the season either, but I would imagine they aren't playing anywhere near as "short-handed" as the Gophers have this year.

That being said, there's no discounting the fact that MU has a MUCH greater case for the tourney than the Rodents, without QUESTION. I also know that a conference with 25 teams (or however many the Big East has these days) is bound to have more chances for a tourney bid than one with 11.

I like the quotes for "short-handed".. if you don't already, realize that the Gophers are very deep - a lot of guys that aren't great, but (capable of being) solid. Much of the season they have had 5 for 5 "line changes" - that's not seen very often, guy. Minnesota is returning a ton of guys that played on a tourney team last year - two very experienced seniors in DJ and Westbrook... two big men that are going into their sophomore year... To portray Minnesota as a sob story is ridiculous. We have flat out underperformed.

Now, this isn't about Marquette vs. Minnesota... but since you imagine that "they aren't playing anywhere near as short-handed", let me help educate you a bit.. but first I will preface it by saying I don't feel 'sorry' or 'cheated' because of some of the stuff either program has gone through - things happen, you fight through and try to get better every day.

Marquette was generally picked to come in 12th or 13th in the Big East this season (out of 16 teams). They faced a daunting opening to the Big East schedule, facing Villanova twice (home and away), West Virginia (away) and Georgetown (home) to begin conference play.

Since last season ended... I'll probably forget a few things, because it's been unreal:

+ Three four-year starters - Wesley Matthews, Jerel McNeal and Dominic James - all graduated. That's 49.1 points, 13.6 rebounds, 5.0 steals per game right there, not to mention veteran leadership. Starting center Dwight Burke also graduated.

+ Assistant coach Dale Layer left for a head coaching gig at Liberty.

+ Forward Pat Hazel transferred to Boston University.

+ The MU bball career of 7'0" redshirt freshman Liam McMorrow, expected to compete for minutes for the undersized Warriors, ended before the season started due to a medical condition. The young man remains at Marquette for his education, although his playing days are over.

+ Freshman Brett Roseboro, on campus during the summer, left shortly before classes to begin to play for St. Bonaventure's. At 6'9", he would provided some size, but was probably overmatched at the Big East level.

+ 5'7" backup senior point guard, Maurice Acker, left the team on June 25th to concentrate on his studies (imagine that). On August 29th, Acker rejoined the team.

+ So...we had a backup point guard, albeit at 5'7" Acker is the smallest guy in the Big East. Luckily we had a stud freshman coming in - Junior Cadougan, considered the favorite for the starting point guard spot. He wanted to come to campus for summer school and get to know and play with his new teammates... but, getting cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse took a long time - not so much to do with his particular circumstances, it's can just be a very slow process (Junior is a Canadian). So, he got to Milwaukee in August. In mid-September, Cadougan ruptured his achilles tendon during a workout and required surgery - it appeared Junior Cadougan was lost for the entire year.

+ In mid-September, Darius Johnson-Odom, a JUCO transfer, was injured and sidelined for several weeks while the team filled with newcomers started officially practicing together.

+ 7'2" Yous Mbao, a tall skinny kid from Senegal, joined the team as a freshman. His arrival in Milwaukee was also delayed due to waiting for the Clearinghouse. Because he had played overseas on a team that included a professional player, he was served with a 2 game suspension to start the season. Despite having the only height on the team, Yous is very raw and played limited minutes. However, several weeks ago he was injured and remains sidelined.

+ Besides Mbao, there was only one player taller than 6'7" now on the team.. 6'10" sophomore Chris Otule, who had played just 9 games in his freshman year, which included a November foot injury. 3 games into this season, just after his first career start at Marquette, Chris fractured his foot in practice and is gone for the season. Now, not only short in height and experience, MU is very short on warm bodies.

+ So Junior Cadougan is a no go for the year, right? Well, we've got another solid frosh - wing (or if you asked his dad, a 2 guard headed for the NBA) Madison Memorial's Jeronne Maymon. Getting over 16 minutes a game and growing, the 6'6" Maymon and his Big East-ready body looked like it would be an important piece to the puzzle this year... but, 10 games into the season, in mid-December, he suddenly quit the team. Jeronne enrolled at Tennessee this spring semester.

...but don't worry - there is some good news: Junior Cadougan was cleared to play.. but of course is now a true freshman, coming off a serious injury, in the middle of Big East play. In 4 games he is averaging 5.8 minutes, still in search of his first FG. So, if you look at a box score, such as Sunday's game at Cinci that went to overtime, it's no surprise that 5 guys played 37 or more minutes.

Although there is just one guy (senior Lazar Hayward) on the team that started at least 10 games for us in 2008-09, we're doing quite well... even though we are playing more 'short-handed' than Minnesota and were predicted to have a 'rebuilding year' filled with struggles and a lousy finish in conference play.

And the thought of us being 12th or 13th in the conference was a common one assuming Cadougan, Otule and Maymon would be significant contributors.

Wow, that is quite the write-up. I was aware Marquette was losing most of their key players from last year, but I still remember them being picked to make it to the tourney on most things that I read. Was 12th or 13th really common consensus? I'm really just asking, I don't follow Marquette closely. I just remember seeing Lunardi (or at least someone on ESPN) had us playing Marquette with us being a really high seed (slightly upsetting to remember my excitement in the summer).

Absolutely. My expectations if White and Mbakwe were to play was that we were a top-15 team, with a chance to grow into a real contender for the Big Ten Championship. Without them, my expectation was that we should be a top 25 team and hopefully win a game or two in the tourney (but most certainly should be able to make the tourney). Even without those guys, the performance has fell short of reasonable expectations - it's just the truth, my man.

I like the quotes for "short-handed".. if you don't already, realize that the Gophers are very deep - a lot of guys that aren't great, but (capable of being) solid. Much of the season they have had 5 for 5 "line changes" - that's not seen very often, guy. Minnesota is returning a ton of guys that played on a tourney team last year - two very experienced seniors in DJ and Westbrook... two big men that are going into their sophomore year... To portray Minnesota as a sob story is ridiculous. We have flat out underperformed.

Now, this isn't about Marquette vs. Minnesota... but since you imagine that "they aren't playing anywhere near as short-handed", let me help educate you a bit.. but first I will preface it by saying I don't feel 'sorry' or 'cheated' because of some of the stuff either program has gone through - things happen, you fight through and try to get better every day.

Marquette was generally picked to come in 12th or 13th in the Big East this season (out of 16 teams). They faced a daunting opening to the Big East schedule, facing Villanova twice (home and away), West Virginia (away) and Georgetown (home) to begin conference play.

Since last season ended... I'll probably forget a few things, because it's been unreal:

+ Three four-year starters - Wesley Matthews, Jerel McNeal and Dominic James - all graduated. That's 49.1 points, 13.6 rebounds, 5.0 steals per game right there, not to mention veteran leadership. Starting center Dwight Burke also graduated.

+ Assistant coach Dale Layer left for a head coaching gig at Liberty.

+ Forward Pat Hazel transferred to Boston University.

+ The MU bball career of 7'0" redshirt freshman Liam McMorrow, expected to compete for minutes for the undersized Warriors, ended before the season started due to a medical condition. The young man remains at Marquette for his education, although his playing days are over.

+ Freshman Brett Roseboro, on campus during the summer, left shortly before classes to begin to play for St. Bonaventure's. At 6'9", he would provided some size, but was probably overmatched at the Big East level.

+ 5'7" backup senior point guard, Maurice Acker, left the team on June 25th to concentrate on his studies (imagine that). On August 29th, Acker rejoined the team.

+ So...we had a backup point guard, albeit at 5'7" Acker is the smallest guy in the Big East. Luckily we had a stud freshman coming in - Junior Cadougan, considered the favorite for the starting point guard spot. He wanted to come to campus for summer school and get to know and play with his new teammates... but, getting cleared by the NCAA clearinghouse took a long time - not so much to do with his particular circumstances, it's can just be a very slow process (Junior is a Canadian). So, he got to Milwaukee in August. In mid-September, Cadougan ruptured his achilles tendon during a workout and required surgery - it appeared Junior Cadougan was lost for the entire year.

+ In mid-September, Darius Johnson-Odom, a JUCO transfer, was injured and sidelined for several weeks while the team filled with newcomers started officially practicing together.

+ 7'2" Yous Mbao, a tall skinny kid from Senegal, joined the team as a freshman. His arrival in Milwaukee was also delayed due to waiting for the Clearinghouse. Because he had played overseas on a team that included a professional player, he was served with a 2 game suspension to start the season. Despite having the only height on the team, Yous is very raw and played limited minutes. However, several weeks ago he was injured and remains sidelined.

+ Besides Mbao, there was only one player taller than 6'7" now on the team.. 6'10" sophomore Chris Otule, who had played just 9 games in his freshman year, which included a November foot injury. 3 games into this season, just after his first career start at Marquette, Chris fractured his foot in practice and is gone for the season. Now, not only short in height and experience, MU is very short on warm bodies.

+ So Junior Cadougan is a no go for the year, right? Well, we've got another solid frosh - wing (or if you asked his dad, a 2 guard headed for the NBA) Madison Memorial's Jeronne Maymon. Getting over 16 minutes a game and growing, the 6'6" Maymon and his Big East-ready body looked like it would be an important piece to the puzzle this year... but, 10 games into the season, in mid-December, he suddenly quit the team. Jeronne enrolled at Tennessee this spring semester.

...but don't worry - there is some good news: Junior Cadougan was cleared to play.. but of course is now a true freshman, coming off a serious injury, in the middle of Big East play. In 4 games he is averaging 5.8 minutes, still in search of his first FG. So, if you look at a box score, such as Sunday's game at Cinci that went to overtime, it's no surprise that 5 guys played 37 or more minutes.

Although there is just one guy (senior Lazar Hayward) on the team that started at least 10 games for us in 2008-09, we're doing quite well... even though we are playing more 'short-handed' than Minnesota and were predicted to have a 'rebuilding year' filled with struggles and a lousy finish in conference play.

And the thought of us being 12th or 13th in the conference was a common one assuming Cadougan, Otule and Maymon would be significant contributors.

Wow, that is quite the write-up. I was aware Marquette was losing most of their key players from last year, but I still remember them being picked to make it to the tourney on most things that I read. Was 12th or 13th really common consensus? I'm really just asking, I don't follow Marquette closely. I just remember seeing Lunardi (or at least someone on ESPN) had us playing Marquette with us being a really high seed (slightly upsetting to remember my excitement in the summer).

11, 12, 13... I don't think I saw anything other than those.

Big East coaches said 12th:
Big East Preseason Coaches Poll

SportsNet New York had us at 12:
SNY's poll

Jay Bilas had us at 11:
ESPN - Jay Bilas

NBE Basketball Report at 13:
NBE picks MU to finished in 13th place

Yahoo/Rivals - 11:
Jason King says 11th

Top Bottom