Blame Hightower

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
As Purdue is getting it's crap kicked out of them by Michigan, I thought to myself I'm going into a big depression if I don't find something to make me happy. Then Purdue got Ed Hightowered(yes I just use that as a verb), again. Then I stroke of genius, I'll make a game were we blame Hightower for all our problems. He is such a bad ref he desearves every bit of it.

Anyway here is the game. Basically you blame Hightower for something or simply just make fun of Hightower. Most crazy one wins.

I'll start.

Ed Hightower is causing gobal warming.
When ever Hightower calls a foul a puppy dies.

So now that everyone has idea what we are looking for. Just remember my mental health is depending on your jokes.

Oh you mean the Ed Hightower who reffed three Purdue victories (including the win over Sparty) and several Gophers victories (including the Virginia game).

I don't blame officials for things. That's lame except in very rare situations. They make good calls, they make bad calls. Usually it evens out.

I'm in.

When Ed Hightower makes a charging call, he creates a tsunami on the other side of the world.

Oh you mean the Ed Hightower who reffed three Purdue victories (including the win over Sparty) and several Gophers victories (including the Virginia game).

I don't blame officials for things. That's lame except in very rare situations. They make good calls, they make bad calls. Usually it evens out.

Normally I agree with you I hate seeing fans blaming refs. And you are right there are very few situations where the refs change the outcome of a game(see Purdue-OU in the NIT Championship game).

But I was very unhappy and so I decided to take it out on the worst ref known to man. Know you ask how do I know this and the answer is simple, I have yet to run into a fan base that likes the man.

Anyways I thought it would be fun and frankly Hightower has earn all the crap he has gotten over the years and then some.

Normally I agree with you I hate seeing fans blaming refs. And you are right there are very few situations where the refs change the outcome of a game(see Purdue-OU in the NIT Championship game).

But I was very unhappy and so I decided to take it out on the worst ref known to man. Know you ask how do I know this and the answer is simple, I have yet to run into a fan base that likes the man.

Anyways I thought it would be fun and frankly Hightower has earn all the crap he has gotten over the years and then some.

False.

Look at the flow of the MN-Ill game tonight - very few fouls called in a very physical game. Gophs in it til the end.

If the game was a foul contest, a play stopper every minute, a half court game the Gophs are probably blown out, as the Gophs scored most of their points on the break.

I didn't see that UM-ILL game last night. So I can't speak on that game. But the reason I said the ref's changed the outcome in the NIT game is becaus OU shot 41 FT and Purdue shot 5, and the game still went to overtime. Now I know the style Purdue play is going to lead to the opposing team shotting more from the line but 36 more!! Thats just horrible, and unexceptable.

Again I didn't see the ILL-MN game last night so I won't comment.

False.

Look at the flow of the MN-Ill game tonight - very few fouls called in a very physical game. Gophs in it til the end.

If the game was a foul contest, a play stopper every minute, a half court game the Gophs are probably blown out, as the Gophs scored most of their points on the break.

I disagree with this assessment. If anything the refs were slightly tilted towards the Illini. There were few subtle little bumps that would normally be called fouls in the first half that were not called on Illinois. The Gophers are also a deeper team and relatively unaffected by foul trouble.

Fouls are also a way in which an otherwise putrid Gopher half-court offense can put up points. Without getting bailed out by foul calls, they are often unable to come up with clean looks, as we saw last night.

That said, I thought the refs were quite solid last night. They actually let the kids play, which is how it should be. The refs against NW were awful (funny how Hightower is generally on the crew when I have that assessment) and they did favor the Gophers, although in that case it really didn't matter.

I would like to buy Ed Hightower for what he is worth, and sell him for what he thinks he's worth. I would be a very wealthy retired man.

Hightower is the reason that we can't sort out the Al Franken/Norm Coleman mess.....

Top Bottom