Black Shoe Diaries: 2024 Opponent Snapshot: Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per PSD:

Overview/Quick 2023 Recap

The Gophers took a step back in 2023, finishing 6-7 for the program’s first losing record since 2018 (excluding the 2020 COVID year). Minnesota had finished with 29 wins in the previous three complete seasons, but a lack of offensive production led to disappointing results last fall. The Gophers began the season with a 5-3 start that included a come-from-behind victory against Nebraska to kickoff the season and a 12-10 upset over #24 Iowa. However, a four-game losing streak to end the regular season nearly sank their chances of going bowling — until they were eventually invited to the Quick Lane Bowl thanks to a lack of bowl-eligible teams and a high APR score.

Minnesota did end the season on a positive note, defeating Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl and exacting some revenge after the Falcons pulled off a shocking upset against the Gophers in 2021.

Offensive Player to Watch: QB Max Brosmer

Brosmer is the presumed starter after joining the Gophers in the portal from New Hampshire, where he led the FCS in passing yards in 2023. Minnesota will look to Brosmer to turn around the offense, which stalled out last fall with inconsistent play at the quarterback position and a running game that took a huge step back from previous seasons. Brosmer is a classic pocket passer who can also get creative with his legs when needed. He is coming from a very pass-heavy attack at New Hampshire and has plenty of experience at the FCS level that will be put to the test this fall.

Defensive Player to Watch: DE Jaxon Howard

Howard was the top prospect out of Minneota and 131st overall in 2023, but after a year at LSU, he is coming back home to join the Gophers. The former four-star prospect has a high ceiling and could become a difference-maker for the Minnesota defense. The Gophers are well-experienced at defensive end, but Howard could be ready to contribute and make game-changing plays off the edge.

Minnesota Wins If...

The biggest “must” for Minnesota is that Brosmer has a successful transition to the FBS level and the Big Ten, and has the offense hitting on all cylinders by November. The Gophers took a major step back after appearing that 8-10 wins per year would become the norm under P.J. Fleck thanks to a lack of offensive production. Penn State’s defense should one of the nation’s best yet again this season despite some key departures. If Minnesota isn’t able to challenge them, the Nittany Lions could still come away with a convincing win even if their offense sputters against the Gophers.

Penn State Wins If...

Minnesota returns plenty of talent from a stingy defense. Their best bet will be to make the game a low-scoring affair and win the fourth quarter. Penn State’s offense will need to make sure it shows up and not allow this to happen. An early score, limiting turnovers, finishing drives in the end zone rather than settling for field goals multiple times, and a few big strikes in the passing game should ensure the Nittany Lions pull away for a victory.

Go Gophers!!

Cracks me up. The "MN Wins" paragraph is about Penn St winning big and the "Penn St Wins" Section is about Penn St winning a close game. They should know better than to overlook MN. There have been very few blowouts in this series.

Howard was the top prospect out of Minneota and 131st overall in 2023, but after a year at LSU, he is coming back home to join the Gophers. The former four-star prospect has a high ceiling and could become a difference-maker for the Minnesota defense. The Gophers are well-experienced at defensive end, but Howard could be ready to contribute and make game-changing plays off the edge.
Ok, so this year my hope for a dynamic new pass rusher is Jaxon Howard. Please Jaxon, be a guy who can provide some consistent heat to opposing QB's! Striggow is the best we have, and it would be great if you could provide him with some some help (maybe a total of 5 sacks). Go Gophers!

saw the line about the running game taking a huge step back. got me curious so I looked at the numbers, and they were worse than I remembered.

In the Fleck era, 2023 saw the lowest net offense (300.9 yds/gm) and lowest rushing offense (157.5 yds/gm) of the Fleck era.

so for all of the issues on defense, the offense really took a step backwards. total offense was down by 89 y/g from the previous year, and rushing offense was down by 49.8 y/g from the previous year.

if the offense gets back close to its average production under Fleck, that will take some of the load off the defense.

saw the line about the running game taking a huge step back. got me curious so I looked at the numbers, and they were worse than I remembered.

In the Fleck era, 2023 saw the lowest net offense (300.9 yds/gm) and lowest rushing offense (157.5 yds/gm) of the Fleck era.

so for all of the issues on defense, the offense really took a step backwards. total offense was down by 89 y/g from the previous year, and rushing offense was down by 49.8 y/g from the previous year.

if the offense gets back close to its average production under Fleck, that will take some of the load off the defense.
Yep, 300 yards/game is anemic.

Cracks me up. The "MN Wins" paragraph is about Penn St winning big and the "Penn St Wins" Section is about Penn St winning a close game. They should know better than to overlook MN. There have been very few blowouts in this series.

Penn State has 10 wins time against the Gophers.
They have won by: 18, 53, 1, 10, 30, 1, 20, 12, 3 and 28. So 80% of their wins are by 2 scores. And several by 3+ scores.

Gopher wins are must closer. 1, 9, 6, 9, 14 and 5.

So based on history their guess is pretty solid.

When the defense knows your QB can't throw, it makes it easier to defend the run.

QB is the most important position on the field. No passing threat whatsoever, no offense. We're going to bounce back.

If Howard and Striggow can get near double-digits sack numbers each, this defense could be Fleck's best for Minnesota.

If Howard and Striggow can get near double-digits sack numbers each, this defense could be Fleck's best for Minnesota.

Jah Joyner is easily this team's best pass rusher. He should lead Minnesota in sacks for a second straight season. Striggow will be a factor, and I foresee a breakthrough type season from Anthony Smith. It'll be interesting to see how Howard fits into the rotation as he gets settled in with his new team.

Per PSD:

The Gophers took a step back in 2023,

A step back? I'd call it a long jump back.

Although it's generally true, as the author states, that the offense was the primary problem, the defense was only marginally better. In terms of points per game allowed, the defense was 10th in the league. The offense was 11th in scoring per game and might have been lower had it not been for a couple of exceptionally terrible offensive teams at Iowa and Michigan State.

Even without Rossi, I expect the defense to be better this year. Assuming key players remain healthy, the offense should be significantly better.

A meaningfully better offense, one that stays on the field and extends drives (ideally for points), should make for a less fatigued, less stressed and better performing defense. Go Gophers!

Per PSD:

Overview/Quick 2023 Recap

The Gophers took a step back in 2023, finishing 6-7 for the program’s first losing record since 2018 (excluding the 2020 COVID year). Minnesota had finished with 29 wins in the previous three complete seasons, but a lack of offensive production led to disappointing results last fall. The Gophers began the season with a 5-3 start that included a come-from-behind victory against Nebraska to kickoff the season and a 12-10 upset over #24 Iowa. However, a four-game losing streak to end the regular season nearly sank their chances of going bowling — until they were eventually invited to the Quick Lane Bowl thanks to a lack of bowl-eligible teams and a high APR score.

Minnesota did end the season on a positive note, defeating Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl and exacting some revenge after the Falcons pulled off a shocking upset against the Gophers in 2021.

Offensive Player to Watch: QB Max Brosmer

Brosmer is the presumed starter after joining the Gophers in the portal from New Hampshire, where he led the FCS in passing yards in 2023. Minnesota will look to Brosmer to turn around the offense, which stalled out last fall with inconsistent play at the quarterback position and a running game that took a huge step back from previous seasons. Brosmer is a classic pocket passer who can also get creative with his legs when needed. He is coming from a very pass-heavy attack at New Hampshire and has plenty of experience at the FCS level that will be put to the test this fall.

Minnesota Wins If...

The biggest “must” for Minnesota is that Brosmer has a successful transition to the FBS level and the Big Ten, and has the offense hitting on all cylinders by November. The Gophers took a major step back after appearing that 8-10 wins per year would become the norm under P.J. Fleck thanks to a lack of offensive production. Penn State’s defense should one of the nation’s best yet again this season despite some key departures. If Minnesota isn’t able to challenge them, the Nittany Lions could still come away with a convincing win even if their offense sputters against the Gophers.

Penn State Wins If...

Minnesota returns plenty of talent from a stingy defense. Their best bet will be to make the game a low-scoring affair and win the fourth quarter. Penn State’s offense will need to make sure it shows up and not allow this to happen. An early score, limiting turnovers, finishing drives in the end zone rather than settling for field goals multiple times, and a few big strikes in the passing game should ensure the Nittany Lions pull away for a victory.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom