Black lives matter

howeda7

Reaction score
You bring up another Good point. As you well know from your experience wearing your cargo shorts 12 miles from home, he could well have been in possession of valuables like jewelry, TVs or other appliances. I sure hope they checked his pockets.
Not everyone has much room in their shorts as you do apparently...

WilliamsArenaGuy

The anti-Loon
Reaction score
I frequently jog 12 miles away from my home in my cargo shorts.

Some other tidbits: victim with prior burglary conviction; there had been a series of burglaries in the neighborhood and he was allegedly seen exiting a burglarized house 1 week prior.

Sounds as tho several knuckleheads involved in this one.

Let's let all the facts come out before convicting anyone.
So they are justified in murdering him? That's the only fact that matters. He could have been a terrible person. That has nothing to do with what these guys did and that they seemingly were about to get away with it.

You can convict them, or at the very least arrest them right away. They shot him dead. They admitted to it.

howeda7

Reaction score
So they are justified in murdering him? That's the only fact that matters. He could have been a terrible person. That has nothing to do with what these guys did and that they seemingly were about to get away with it.

You can convict them. They shot him dead. They admitted to it.
Even if this guy WAS the burglar, two rednecks going out "hunting" him with their shot guns is still murder.

Section2

Reaction score
I have zero dog in the fight so just playing devil's advocate because I've seen this happen once or twice before (although one may have been a movie!); It could be possible that they were investigating as thoroughly as they could and the social media blitz just forced their hand a little earlier than they wanted before getting their ducks 100% in a row? Just throwing it out there. It's a little premature to say that nothing was going to be done until the social media frenzy took over?
I've been burned so many times by the mob, I am with you. I feel like this is 99% case closed, I can't see any way these guys aren't guilty of murder.
What we needed here was public pressure to fully prosecute and investigate this whole thing, and we now have that. Maybe they aren't guilty, but if they are, and the old boys network protected them, burn it all down.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone saw this - white guy shot a black guy after they were involved in a relatively minor fender-bender in the Twin cities.

From the Pioneer Press:
Anthony James Trifiletti, 24, reportedly told officers that Lewis’ vehicle bumped his truck from behind while he was turning off U.S. Highway 61 onto Burns Avenue.
Trifiletti pulled to the side of the road and he and Lewis starting exchanging words. He said Lewis got out of his vehicle and was coming toward him when he saw Lewis put his hand underneath his shirt near his waistband, according to Trifiletti’s account.
Scared that Lewis was going for a gun, Trifiletti said he grabbed his own firearm and fired several shots at Lewis, according to authorities.
Police did not find a weapon on Lewis, charges say. Trifiletti had a permit to carry.
Trifiletti was charged Monday with one count of second-degree murder.

A Good Samaritan, also interviewed, gave a different account of what happened. The woman told police she saw a silver car about 50 feet behind a red pickup truck.
That’s when she said Trifiletti ran to his pickup truck and grabbed a handgun as Lewis ran toward the silver car, the woman reported, charges say.
Then she reportedly saw Trifiletti start firing at Lewis, who quickly fell to the ground.
She said she never saw anything in Lewis’ hands nor could she feel anything in his waistband when she rendered aid, the complaint said.
She estimated the two men were about 10 feet apart when Trifiletti starting shooting.
The Ramsey County Medical Examiner said Lewis was shot four times.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score

Some other tidbits: victim with prior burglary conviction; there had been a series of burglaries in the neighborhood and he was allegedly seen exiting a burglarized house 1 week prior.

Please stop rationalizing what these guys did. NOTHING excuses it. Even if what you say is true, one is a thief, and the other two are vigilantes with blood on their hands. Not equivalent at all. Eye for an eye, not your life for a handful of cash.

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone saw this - white guy shot a black guy after they were involved in a relatively minor fender-bender in the Twin cities.

From the Pioneer Press:
Anthony James Trifiletti, 24, reportedly told officers that Lewis’ vehicle bumped his truck from behind while he was turning off U.S. Highway 61 onto Burns Avenue.
Trifiletti pulled to the side of the road and he and Lewis starting exchanging words. He said Lewis got out of his vehicle and was coming toward him when he saw Lewis put his hand underneath his shirt near his waistband, according to Trifiletti’s account.
Scared that Lewis was going for a gun, Trifiletti said he grabbed his own firearm and fired several shots at Lewis, according to authorities.
Police did not find a weapon on Lewis, charges say. Trifiletti had a permit to carry.

A Good Samaritan, also interviewed, gave a different account of what happened. The woman told police she saw a silver car about 50 feet behind a red pickup truck.
That’s when she said Trifiletti ran to his pickup truck and grabbed a handgun as Lewis ran toward the silver car, the woman reported, charges say.
Then she reportedly saw Trifiletti start firing at Lewis, who quickly fell to the ground.
She said she never saw anything in Lewis’ hands nor could she feel anything in his waistband when she rendered aid, the complaint said.
She estimated the two men were about 10 feet apart when Trifiletti starting shooting.
Well, I guess that answers Ogee's question. Took MN police less than a week to make an arrest.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score

From the Pioneer Press:

What is the point of posting this? What are you trying to accomplish?

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Please stop rationalizing what these guys did. NOTHING excuses it. Even if what you say is true, one is a thief, and the other two are vigilantes with blood on their hands. Not equivalent at all. Eye for an eye, not your life for a handful of cash.

100%. Even if the guy was in fact a burglar, they don;t have the right to chase him down and kill him.

LesBolstad

Reaction score

You should STFU. I'm not excusing anything. And agree they don't have right to chase/kill him. Just providing some info on their possible motive.

kellyleeks

GH Hall of Fame '10
Reaction score
Allegedly the suspects were friends with the cops or DA. In any event it doesn't take 3 months to charge someone normally unless it's the U of M police investigating a laptop theft.
Royce White?

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
What is the point of posting this? What are you trying to accomplish?

well, the thread was discussing a situation where a black person was allegedly shot and killed by some white people - possibly over a misunderstanding.

So, I posted a story with some similarities - a black person allegedly shot and killed by a white person over a misunderstanding stemming from a minor fender-bender.

For me at least, the common denominator is people having firearms and being willing to use them on another human being over a situation that - on the surface - does not seem to require deadly violence.
If I see a guy and I think he might be a burglar, my first impulse is going to be "call the cops" - not "confront him with my shotgun."

there also seems to be a common thread of people justifying the use of deadly force because "they were afraid" of the other person. If I'm afraid of someone, my first impulse is to run away, not start shooting. sometimes it's better to be a live coward.

GopherNE

Reaction score
I would argue that if there is an option to retreat from a dangerous situation and someone opts to start firing instead, that indicates the shooter is the coward.

They've mentally trained for this response by constantly fantasizing about it. In their mind it's the only option. Scared people with guns are more dangerous than any burglar.

Costa Rican Gopher

Mind of a Scientist
Reaction score
Just read on a different forum that the deceased tried to disarm one of these kooks & hit him with his free hand. Is this true? If so, it adds a whole new dimension to the case.

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
Just read on a different forum that the deceased tried to disarm one of these kooks & hit him with his free hand. Is this true? If so, it adds a whole new dimension to the case.

I still smell a rat here.

We were supposed to be too preoccupied with corona to cover stuff like this.

I'm going to wait this one out.

KillerGopherFan

Reaction score
Agree it makes things a little more gray. From the video, it looks like the shooting victim is whaling away at the guy with the shotgun and attempting to take it from him.

I understand chasing someone who they think is a potential burglar, but I don’t understand confronting that person with a loaded weapon unless they move toward you.

This may be more complicated than some want to make it, but when you go vigilante, you better have a clue what you’re doing or you might end up serving a life sentence.

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
Allegedly the suspects were friends with the cops or DA. In any event it doesn't take 3 months to charge someone normally unless it's the U of M police investigating a laptop theft.

And J Strings is the accomplice.

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score

That's the point to the trail/legal system.

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
They've mentally trained for this response by constantly fantasizing about it. In their mind it's the only option. Scared people with guns are more dangerous than any burglar.

Regardless of the entire context of the OP, what a dumb take. What does the NE in your namesake come from? Nebraska? Northeast Minnesota? Nordeast Minneapolis? Some other sheltered locale? You clearly have not been awaken at 1 in the morning to your alarm system going off only to find someone trying to bust into your dining room window...

Deleted_User

Reaction score
I have zero dog in the fight so just playing devil's advocate because I've seen this happen once or twice before (although one may have been a movie!); It could be possible that they were investigating as thoroughly as they could and the social media blitz just forced their hand a little earlier than they wanted before getting their ducks 100% in a row? Just throwing it out there. It's a little premature to say that nothing was going to be done until the social media frenzy took over?

Since you have joined the ranks of the committed idiocracy. Ignore list here you come.

PeoplesFront

Reaction score
Since you have joined the ranks of the committed idiocracy. Ignore list here you come.
Better add me as well, DeaniS. I’d be honored to be excluded from the echo chamber that you create for yourself.

Just Gopher It!!

Reaction score
FYI - Just heard the neighborhood where he was shot is a low crime area and is not as has been reported suffering from "a rash of burglaries." This was found by a reporter doing research through the police records. In fact, the only break in reported this year in that neighborhood, was a handgun from the defendants unlocked pickup truck. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried and highly doubt the reporter would lie about this as it would be easy for others to check on as well.

Also the local authorities reportedly had the video from day one.

Last edited:

Angry

Reaction score
I took a lot of pride in learning de-escalation techniques. These guys made no effort. End of story.

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
What we do know is the two guys were being the aggressive ones from the get go. They followed him, tried to cut him off, etc. What it looks to me is that the victim got to a point where he felt he had no choice but to try to do something about it.

Top Bottom