Bizzaro World: What if we had hired Horton instead?

SlipperySlope

Reaction score
I'll preface this with, I usually hate these sorts of threads too but the result of the game today warrants it.

What if we had hired Horton as HC instead of Brewster? Do you believe he would he have had more success? It looks like he's far more comfortable on the sideline than Brewster was. He's keeping it light and smiling while working the game. He knows he's just here until the end of the year and I honestly don't know if this is how he ran his previous programs but he seems to be a better game coach than Brew... based on my very scientific observations.

I wish Horton and Brew the best in their next gigs.

We'd likely be worse because I think his recruiting classes would probably have been 11th in the Big 10 every year he coached. Just conjecture on my part. You still need the raw material.

I think the question is more interesting if it is based if Horton would have been hired instead of Dunbar.

We've won one game!

and it ended a personal 14 game loosing streak as a head coach for Horton.

Not HC material!

I'll preface this with, I usually hate these sorts of threads too but the result of the game today warrants it.

What if we had hired Horton as HC instead of Brewster? Do you believe he would he have had more success? It looks like he's far more comfortable on the sideline than Brewster was. He's keeping it light and smiling while working the game. He knows he's just here until the end of the year and I honestly don't know if this is how he ran his previous programs but he seems to be a better game coach than Brew... based on my very scientific observations.

I wish Horton and Brew the best in their next gigs.

You know, Tim Brewster didn't do everything right in Minnesota, but he did a lot of things. He established traditions at the U, like the "Victory Walk" and the players doing the Rouser after games. He tried to instill a sense of school pride, and tried to get MN HS coaches interested in the U again. He got recruits from all over the country thinking about the U. What he didn't do is win, most likely because of his revolving coaching staff (kicking out Dunbar was the worst move, IMO) and ever-changing team philosophies. Tim Brewster wasn't the right guy for the job, but he also wasn't the worst. As for Jeff Horton, he seems like a nice guy with heart and some smarts. But he does not seem like HC material for a Big Ten school, while Brewster at least showed potential at times. That said, I'm very happy for Horton that he got this win to break his own demons.

Revisionist history

You know, Tim Brewster didn't do everything right in Minnesota
You know, Jeffrey Dahmer didn't do everything right in Milwaukee.....
but he did a lot of things. He established traditions at the U, like the "Victory Walk" and the players doing the Rouser after games.
I could have done all this myself and I would have done it for only $950,000/year, $50k less than Brew.
He tried to instill a sense of school pride, and tried to get MN HS coaches interested in the U again.
Add another $25k and I would have "tried" to do this as well.
He got recruits from all over the country thinking about the U.
Thinking about how much their talent is going to go to waste by coming here - probably one reason he had such a hard time getting anyone of note to do so.
What he didn't do is win, most likely because of his revolving coaching staff (kicking out Dunbar was the worst move, IMO) and ever-changing team philosophies.
Two reasons among others.
Tim Brewster wasn't the right guy for the job, but he also wasn't the worst.
In terms of W/L %, he was actually the worst HC in the 125-year history of Golden Gopher football.
As for Jeff Horton, he seems like a nice guy with heart and some smarts. But he does not seem like HC material for a Big Ten school, while Brewster at least showed potential at times.
Brew showed potential when he had adult supervision on the sideline (Roof) and in the press box (Dunbar). Absent his coordinators he was dumb as a brick.
That said, I'm very happy for Horton that he got this win to break his own demons.
Agreed. :clap:

Horton had a 1-10 and an 0-11 season as head coach at UNLV.

Horton had a 1-10 and an 0-11 season as head coach at UNLV.

Horton strikes me as being a very likable coach. I like the wry expression he's always got on his face. He sort of looks like an older version of Brett Favre to me, and I like how he sticks up for his players. But it's kind of crazy talk to mention him in conjunction with our head coaching job. Maturi should have had his sights set higher than either Brewster or Horton back then, but water under the bridge I guess. I'm just glad and relieved both for him and us that he's got this team still interested, still trying, and still playing hard.

It's hard to say, we don't know what he would have done. Brewster made radical changes to the offense, switching to the spread and switching to the pro style, and that hurt. It was the defense that needed work.

Horton may be a better coach now than he was at UNLV, and he may be able to get a HC job at a lower level if he wants, but it won't be here.

I guess the only positive is Maturi would have been fired within 24 hours of the hire. Seriously fire Mason and hire someone who went 1-21 at a mid-major?

In terms of W/L %, he was actually the worst HC in the 125-year history of Golden Gopher football.

I've seen this posted on this forum more than once, and it's just plain false.

Wacker had worse records than Brewster, both overall and in the Big Ten.

Top Bottom