Biggest Improvement

DL65

Reaction score
Coaches and ex-coaches, especially those doing color commentary, frequently say a team's greatest improvement occurs between game one and two.

If that's correct, what signs of improvement do you expect or want to see during Saturday's dedication game? Coaching? Offensive and defensive line play? Rushing game? Passing game? Concentration/mental (no bonehead penalties)?

Go Gophers!!

All of the above, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else that really bothered me was when the defense just kind of quit in the second quarter. I don't know if they were tired or what, but they just started standing around, arm tackling, etc. They looked like they gave up there for a while, so I was glad to see the intensity and effort level pick back up again in the second half. They need to sustain that all game long against Air Force.

I don't know what to expect, but I hope the offensive line plays better and the defense plays with consistent effort. I don't know if it was better effort in the second half or if Cosgrove and Lee made some adjustments, but pitching a shutout in the second half was obviously crucial.

Sarcasm Alert:And given that Heisman candidate Paulus was running the show for the Orange, our defense must have at least a half dozen All-American candidates.

The other thing I want to see is Weber play better. He was flat-out terrible. I don't know if it was his timing or what, but he had less rhythm than Lawrence Welk's Champagne Orchestra.

All of the above, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else that really bothered me was when the defense just kind of quit in the second quarter. I don't know if they were tired or what, but they just started standing around, arm tackling, etc. They looked like they gave up there for a while, so I was glad to see the intensity and effort level pick back up again in the second half. They need to sustain that all game long against Air Force.

Those are pretty good signs that they're tired. Which makes sense given the fact that our O couldn't stay on the field.

1) Offensive gameplan.
2) Weber's accuracy.

Accomplish those 2 things and we'll be alright.

As long as Air Force does no bubble screens in the first half, we should be okay. ;)

I actually feel good about our defense's first game, they were solid in run defense, made half time adjustments and executed them, and they made a stand in the OT that won the game for us.
Campbell and Lawrence played very well, getting off blocks very well and stood out as real solid, veteran defenders as they should be. I think we set up well for Air Force this week, a strong interior to stuff the FB dive, a smart and tough MLB to scrape and fill to force the QB into a pitch or carry, and a speedy OLB to get the pitchman, CB's to man up and lock onto Wr's and run stuffing safeties to come up and fill(just don't get caught like Rallis did last week), it's the adjustments and misdirection that will be the challenge.

Also I think we have a solid K and a P.

On O we'll get better every week, this offense puts alot on the QB, calling protections, making audibles, reads, etc. I believe that's why Gray wasn't in, he's not ready to make all those decisions, I'd like to see him in some situational roles however.

1) Offensive gameplan.
2) Weber's accuracy.

Accomplish those 2 things and we'll be alright.

+1

I would just add that against the AFA, I think we should employ the dreaded "bend but don't break" defense. I know that this was a horrible experience in the Mason years, but I think that AFA will have fery few passing plays (AFA only atempted seven passes this past saturday!!!). Of course I would love to see our defense stuff the option play at or before the line of scrimmage, but we'd better have the corners and safeties ready to limit the big yards after their runners get past out linebackers.

+1

I would just add that against the AFA, I think we should employ the dreaded "bend but don't break" defense. I know that this was a horrible experience in the Mason years, but I think that AFA will have fery few passing plays (AFA only atempted seven passes this past saturday!!!). Of course I would love to see our defense stuff the option play at or before the line of scrimmage, but we'd better have the corners and safeties ready to limit the big yards after their runners get past out linebackers.

It was a horrible experience because Mason's D's were of the "break and then break some more" variety. Last year's "bend but don't break" D was fine (see: @ Illinois) until the O started going 3 and out every series. I'd settle for "bend but don't break" so long as the O is moving the ball. :)

Top Bottom