Big10 Programs of the decade

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/9490/big-ten-programs-of-the-decade

Brief, but fair analysis. Like I said a few weeks ago, I see Minnesota making its way into the top 5 the next time this analysis is done.

Reasons:

1) Better Recruiting
2) Better scheduling
3) Better facilities
4) Better Conference

(I know that I am not providing empirical data but It seems obvious to me)

Despite the discontinuity with coordinators, Minnesota seems to have found an identity on defense (I was very impressed with the linebacker play of triplett and Campbell) and it looks like Cosgrove is the right man to fill that position. I am not sure who the right coach is for the offense but the pro-style offensive scheme is more consistent and easier to find the right players for. Good luck finding the right O-Coordinator!

I was surprised to see us ahead of Michigan State. I was surprised we were behind Purdue but our 30-50 in the Big Ten speaks for itself.

I would like to share your optimism but we are really going to need to see some improvement this season to get some momentum going with the increased talent we have.

I sort of like seeing teams like Minnesota, Michigan St. and Illinois at the bottom of the list because those are three schools with huge resources and the capability to have great runs if they find the right coaching. I also like seeing Iowa at #2 and Penn State down at #4 because it seems to turn refute notions of our top-heaviness with OSU/Michigan/PSU only.

I was surprised to see us ahead of Michigan State. I was surprised we were behind Purdue but our 30-50 in the Big Ten speaks for itself.

I would like to share your optimism but we are really going to need to see some improvement this season to get some momentum going with the increased talent we have.

I sort of like seeing teams like Minnesota, Michigan St. and Illinois at the bottom of the list because those are three schools with huge resources and the capability to have great runs if they find the right coaching. I also like seeing Iowa at #2 and Penn State down at #4 because it seems to turn refute notions of our top-heaviness with OSU/Michigan/PSU only.

Behind Purdue? Are you joking?

Purdue won a Big Ten Championship, played in 3 New Year's Day Bowls (including a Rose Bowl), had a Heisman candidate, and put several quality players in the NFL.

The Gophers best bowl game was the Sun Bowl and they put a few decent players into the NFL.

Purdue won a Big Ten Championship, played in 3 New Year's Day Bowls (including a Rose Bowl), had a Heisman candidate, and put several quality players in the NFL.

The Gophers best bowl game was the Sun Bowl and they put a few decent players into the NFL.

I don't remember Purdue ever doing anything. Maybe because I don't give a sh&t about them. I remember Glen Robinson, does that count?

I was surprised to see us ahead of Michigan State.

MSU has a legitimate gripe that they should possess the vaunted 8th spot. MSU seems to have dropped because they didn't meet "expectations." I guess no one expects anything out from the Gophers, so they get a pass. :(

Purdue deserves to be ahead of Minnesota, that is not really a debate in my mind. Michigan State failed on the big stage, and yes, with those expectations were unable to manifest them into substantial victories. A 1-4 post season record was what slid them beneath Minnesota in the end. The gophers were invited to eight bowl games but having such an easy out of conference schedule artificially inflated their records without question.

Purdue deserves to be ahead of Minnesota, that is not really a debate in my mind. Michigan State failed on the big stage, and yes, with those expectations were unable to manifest them into substantial victories. A 1-4 post season record was what slid them beneath Minnesota in the end. The gophers were invited to eight bowl games but having such an easy out of conference schedule artificially inflated their records without question.

agree - Purdue had a much better decade than the Gophs, hopefully that can change this decade.

Top Bottom