Big Ten's Last Game in Hawaii

That game in Hawaii can really be a trap. A long plane trip for one, and then it's got to be really distracting being in Hawaii.

at least the badgers play them in December

we went there and played them in August

Mom mentioned that some friends went on a Hawaii vacation around t-day weekend to watch the Badgers on the 11/30. Oooooof the game was schedued for 12/5. Well, more beer for them.

Hawai'i

Playing at Hawai'i isn't what it used to be. Hawai'i players are notorious for playing dirty and the officiating is beyond atrocious (in favor of Hawai'i). Ask any Big Ten team that has been there recently. Purdue went a few years ago because the game coincided with the basketball team playing in the Maui Invitational. If you can swing both, the trip might be worthwhile. Now that Colt Brennan is gone and Hawai'i sucks it should be a W for most teams but man those guys were tough to beat when Brennan was there.

Hawai'i needs a win for a bowl game and their fans are fired up. They beat a pretty fair Navy team last week and will not be an easy "W" for Wisconsin. The Rainbows also supposedly get SMU and June Jones in their bowl game should they beat the Badgers. Might be a trap game as suggested above.

Playing at Hawai'i isn't what it used to be. Hawai'i players are notorious for playing dirty and the officiating is beyond atrocious (in favor of Hawai'i). Ask any Big Ten team that has been there recently. Purdue went a few years ago because the game coincided with the basketball team playing in the Maui Invitational. If you can swing both, the trip might be worthwhile. Now that Colt Brennan is gone and Hawai'i sucks it should be a W for most teams but man those guys were tough to beat when Brennan was there.

The article states that Hawaii finally had to bring in PAC 1O Refs because of the complaints. We saw them play UNLV at Sam Boyd stadium a few years back. They had June Jones and Brennan and yeah, they were fun to watch. The crowd was interesting too. They had an extra 100 plus cops and there were many fights in the stands during the game and numerous fans hauled away.

The paper the next day talked about all the beer that was sold. It was the second most. The first and I'm not kidding, was when the Badgers had played there earlier that season!:clap:

The game was initially scheduled for this past weekend, but was moved so we had a bye. Plenty of fans planned on doing the Maui Classic and then the football game.

Where Hawaii is concerned, they have cleaned up their program quite a bit. They are no longer the cheap shotting, trash talking, halfway house they were under Warden Jones. We've had some of their fans visit our boards the past few days. Most of the alumni were embarrassed by what the program had become, and wanted change. I applaud them doing the right thing. I watched the game against Navy last weekend, and didn't see any chippiness from Hawaii.

Hawaii

is still plenty chippy for their WAC opponents, as viewed here from WACland, even when on the road. Maybe a little less since they pretty much suck, I mean when do the gophs get chippy? Also kind of suck so not much to get chippy about.

The game was initially scheduled for this past weekend, but was moved so we had a bye.

IMO, this is the perfect end to any Big Ten schedule. Finnish the Big Ten season the weekend before Thanksgiving, and play a warm-weather away game two weeks later in December.

The elongated practices schedule and travel would be a good tune-up for the bowl games and it would finally give the conference a little attention in early December.

That said, Hawaii would not be my first choice for an opponent. Plenty of good teams have gone there end left without getting the W when they clearly should have.

They scheduled the Hawaii games as a recruiting tool/reward for players, and a fun trip for alumni. A game on the island every 4-5 years, so each recruiting class had a chance to go.

Too bad it's probably going to end.

Yup, after Dec 5th i'll be pulling for all the Big Ten Football squads in the bowl games.

wait!what? you have a seriously weird fear/envy of Badger football. Any topic remotely touching on UW sports will have you in the thread, making some insult toward the badgers or their fans.

Yeah, Badger fans were out in Hawaii during thanksgiving and 11/30, thats because the UW hoops team was playing three games in Maui, so no, people didnt just make a mistake about the game time.

And you're last comment makes no sense. So you obviously will be cheering for the Badgers in their bowl game? So you will be cheering against the Badgers during their game at hawaii december 5th, but then you'll be cheering for the Badgers in their Bowl game? You are an interesting person.

Top Bottom