Big Ten West Standings Listed

bamor5229

Reaction score
Help me understand why every listing of Big Ten West standings has the Gophers shown last of the 4 teams tied at 3-3 in the West, but the Gophers have the better overall record than the others at 6-3. Every place I checked had it listed the same way. I always though the team with the best record would be listed first. 🤷‍♂️

Well Purdue beat us.... So they are ahead of us....

Then I believe it goes to interdivision.. Iowa and wisc have beat more b1G west opponents... We've beaten nebby... That's it

I am pretty sure it is divisional record that gets used to sort the tied teams for standings purposes even though that wouldn't be the first tie breaker in the event of a tie. But I could be wrong on that too because on the bigten.org standings they list it out Iowa, Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota. Us being last makes sense in that scenario since our division record is 1-2. However Iowa is 2-1, Purdue is 2-2, and Wisconsin is 2-1 in games against the West so not sure why Purdue would be ahead of Wisconsin but behind Iowa in that scenario.

Plus, Wisconsin won the head to head meeting with Purdue so not really sure what criteria would explain Purdue being listed between Iowa and Wisconsin.

1. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.

Use this to get it down to two then head to head.

Iowa 1-0
Wisconsin 1-0
Purdue 1-2
Minnesota 0-1

Divisional record is #2 tiebreak

Not sure which number tiebreak is why Iowa ahead of Wisconsin

We beat IA and lose to WI.
WI and IA both beat NE.
Illinois loses to MI and beats NW.
PU beats NW and loses to IU.

5-way tie for first!

WI and IA both beat NE.

5-way tie for first!
That 5 way tie:
Minnesota 1-3
Purdue 2-2
Iowa 2-2
Wisconsin 2-2
Illinois 3-1

So I believe Illinois would go

WI and IA both beat NE.

5-way tie for first!
Wow.

Somehow, I suspect we have no chance of coming out of that a winner. Since we would've lost to Purdue, Illinois, and Wisc.

"West losses" in that scenario:

ILL: Purdue
Pur: @ Wisc, Iowa
Minn: Purdue, @ ILL, @ Wisc
Wisc: ILL, @ Iowa
Iowa: @ ILL, @ Minn

Wow.

Somehow, I suspect we have no chance of coming out of that a winner. Since we would've lost to Purdue, Illinois, and Wisc.

"West losses" in that scenario:

ILL: Purdue
Pur: @ Wisc, Iowa
Minn: Purdue, @ ILL, @ Wisc
Wisc: ILL, @ Iowa
Iowa: @ ILL, @ Minn
Take MSU off Ill losses.

That 5 way tie:
Minnesota 1-3
Purdue 2-2
Iowa 2-2
Wisconsin 2-2
Illinois 3-1

So I believe Illinois would go
True, but all five can claim to be division champs. Everyone gets a trophy!

Help me understand why every listing of Big Ten West standings has the Gophers shown last of the 4 teams tied at 3-3 in the West, but the Gophers have the better overall record than the others at 6-3. Every place I checked had it listed the same way. I always though the team with the best record would be listed first. 🤷‍♂️

Conspiracy/Ballot Harvesting

Top Bottom