Big Ten Tournament sites announced for next 4 seasons: Headed to Vegas in 2028

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
2025: Gainbridge Fieldhouse (Indianapolis)
2026: United Center (Chicago)
2027: Gainbridge Fieldhouse (Indianapolis)
2028: T-Mobile Arena (Las Vegas)

Figured Vegas was a likely destination at some point. Will be interesting in the start times for that tournament. Going to be tough for a 12:00 ET tip when it's gonna be 9:00 a.m. local time.

2025: Gainbridge Fieldhouse (Indianapolis)
2026: United Center (Chicago)
2027: Gainbridge Fieldhouse (Indianapolis)
2028: T-Mobile Arena (Las Vegas)
Figured Vegas was a likely destination at some point. Will be interesting in the start times for that tournament. Going to be tough for a 12:00 ET tip when it's gonna be 9:00 a.m. local time.
I'm surprised that Vegas didn't get at least 1 Big 10 Football Championship, which is staying in Indy through 2028.

Is the expectation that actual attendance at the tourney will increase because its in Vegas? I otherwise don't get all the hype - particularly among the media people - when major sporting events are in Vegas (or any other glitzy city). A vast majority of the eyeballs watching the tournament (TV, streaming) couldn't care less about where the tourney is played. It could be in the Quad Cities for all they care, so long as the camera angles make for good TV.

Is the expectation that actual attendance at the tourney will increase because its in Vegas? I otherwise don't get all the hype - particularly among the media people - when major sporting events are in Vegas (or any other glitzy city). A vast majority of the eyeballs watching the tournament (TV, streaming) couldn't care less about where the tourney is played. It could be in the Quad Cities for all they care, so long as the camera angles make for good TV.
I'm just one person with an opinion but I can say I am certainly more likely to attend in person if it's in Vegas vs Indy/Chicago/New York, etc.

But otherwise I agree, I am curious how much attendance is impacted overall.

I'm just one person with an opinion but I can say I am certainly more likely to attend in person if it's in Vegas vs Indy/Chicago/New York, etc.

But otherwise I agree, I am curious how much attendance is impacted overall.
I agree with you but my biggest immediate concern is whether we will be in the conference tournament this year.

It's possible that Vegas ponied up or made revenue guarantees to make a potential drop in attendance a moot point.

I think they also wanted to throw a bone to the PAC4 that are now part of the Big 10, just as they did with DC & MSG.

It's possible that Vegas ponied up or made revenue guarantees to make a potential drop in attendance a moot point.

I think they also wanted to throw a bone to the PAC4 that are now part of the Big 10, just as they did with DC & MSG.
I think it was more than a bone to the east coast. I think they really believed it would be good for the conference and be a hit where it was. DC was a disaster attendance wise after Maryland lost early. MSG was a good tournament and a great time the Apple, but shortening the season by a week was a disaster.

I’m not committing to Vegas, but I think I would do it once for the experience.

I think it was more than a bone to the east coast. I think they really believed it would be good for the conference and be a hit where it was. DC was a disaster attendance wise after Maryland lost early. MSG was a good tournament and a great time the Apple, but shortening the season by a week was a disaster.

I’m not committing to Vegas, but I think I would do it once for the experience.
T Mobile is a really nice venue (been there for several hockey games) and don't even have to cross a street if one stays at either NY NY, Park-MGM, Aria, Vdara, Cosmopolitan or Bellagio.

Personally, I am over staying on the Strip and prefer other spots around the area, Red Rock, The M or South Point.

Who knows what the sports landscape will be at that point but likely would be held at the same time as the Mountain West and perhaps other conferences like the WAC or Big West.

Back in the day, I was at the then WAC and saw both of Keith van "At the" Horn's buzzer beaters in 1997.

T Mobile is a really nice venue (been there for several hockey games) and don't even have to cross a street if one stays at either NY NY, Park-MGM, Aria, Vdara, Cosmopolitan or Bellagio.

Personally, I am over staying on the Strip and prefer other spots around the area, Red Rock, The M or South Point.

Who knows what the sports landscape will be at that point but likely would be held at the same time as the Mountain West and perhaps other conferences like the WAC or Big West.

Back in the day, I was at the then WAC and saw both of Keith van "At the" Horn's buzzer beaters in 1997.

Do they regularly have basketball games at T-Mobile? It is a nice venue I just usually hate when basketball games are played at non-basketball venues.

Do they regularly have basketball games at T-Mobile? It is a nice venue I just usually hate when basketball games are played at non-basketball venues.
It's been hosting the PAC 12 Tourney since it opened plus various other college games including the NCAA Tournament. I'm sure it's fine for basketball, designed as multi-purpose for hoops, puck, concerts etc.

I've seen NCAA games in San Jose, Anaheim and Tampa at venues in which the only main tenant was the NHL franchise. All 3 were more than adequate.

I'm surprised that Vegas didn't get at least 1 Big 10 Football Championship, which is staying in Indy through 2028.
Big ten basketball tourney will do well in Vegas.
Only need like 8-12k traveling basketball fans. Can fill in the rest with random Vegas tourists.

65k football fans to show two teams is harder. I think the distance and the 2 vs 14 teams makes Vegas a better hoops destination than football.

If Chicago gets a retractable roof stadium they’ll get one eventually.
I think Minneapolis and Detroit should get a big ten title game but I get leaving it in Indianapolis too.

Big ten basketball tourney will do well in Vegas.
Only need like 8-12k traveling basketball fans. Can fill in the rest with random Vegas tourists.

65k football fans to show two teams is harder. I think the distance and the 2 vs 14 teams makes Vegas a better hoops destination than football.

If Chicago gets a retractable roof stadium they’ll get one eventually.
I think Minneapolis and Detroit should get a big ten title game but I get leaving it in Indianapolis too.

Football is harder as well because the 2 teams may only have as few as 6-7 days to prepare for the trip to Vegas.

Having said that, having been to the Pac12 Championship the past 3 seasons, I think Vegas hosting the Big 10 Football Championship would be fine. 2021 & 2022 Utah showed up in droves as it was an easy drive from SLC.

Last year though with Washington & Oregon it was also a near sell out. It's not exactly an easy trip from Seattle or Portland/Eugene to LV. Really not much different than several mid-west cities. Heck, a future Big 10 Championship could also be those same teams.

There was lots of talk that LV would definitely make a push to get it in the future. I think the LV business community could certainly make financial guarantees to make it worth it for the conference.

Last edited:

Top Bottom